||10 (per frame)
|Points to Fill (p)
The Killer Wail is a Special Weapon in Splatoon.
When activated, the Killer Wail projects a series of concentric circles in its intended path for a moment before firing massive sound waves in the user's Ink color shortly after. They splat any enemies they touch, ignoring buildings or other obstacles. While the Killer Wail does not spread any Ink of its own unless an opponent is splatted, it is useful for gaining or keeping control of the stage.
||Killer Wail is an extremely powerful special, ideal for splatting opponents caught within its lethal sonic cone. When activated, you’re prompted to aim the device, which appears like a large megaphone. In addition to rotating the device, you can also tilt it, aiming it up or down. Once set, shoot the Killer Wail to send a sonic blast through the stage. This wave travels through the entire stage, passing through walls and other objects. Given the special’s linear attack, aim it down narrow corridors or high-traffic chokepoints. While the Killer Wail doesn’t spread ink, any opponents unlucky enough to be caught within its blast will explode, spreading your team’s ink over a small area.
— Splatoon Prima Guide
- Use the Killer Wail through walls to surprise unsuspecting enemies that pass by.
- If you run by a corner, hide there and activate the Killer Wail and watch the enemy run into it and splat themselves.
- It requires approximately 2 seconds to channel and activate the Killer Wail. Make sure you activate it early to get the hit.
- Though the main charm is to splat people, the Killer Wail is also excellent for chasing away enemies. Aim it at popular pathways, common sniping spots, splat zones, tower routes, etc. and you can essentially lock out enemies from these areas.
- The Killer Wail is excellent against the Kraken or Bubbler because of its huge knockback. For instance, teammates sharing a Bubbler on top of the tower in Tower Control can all be pushed off with a well-aimed Killer Wail.
- The Killer Wail is excellent to use at corridors where the enemy have hard time to move aside. It is very strong at stages like Walleye Warehouse, Port Mackerel and Camp Triggerfish.
- It leaves a set of lines when it is about to activate. Watch out for them when they are visible and dodge it using Squid Form.
- If an enemy has the Killer Wail as their special, take caution when walking around corners as they may silently channel it as a surprise.
- It makes a loud guitar noise. This allows the player to know that someone is preparing a Killer Wail ambush. Use the noise to dodge it before retaliating.
- Repeating the final boss level can help practice dodging the Killer Wail as one of his attacks uses the Killer Wail.
- ▲ Decreased the amount of turf needed to be inked for filling the Special Gauge: 180p → 160p
- ▲ Shortened the period of decreased character control after using the Killer Wail when equipped with Special Duration Up
- — Changed how the Killer Wail's aiming prediction is displayed.
- Killer Wail is a pun on Killer Whale.
- When launched, the Killer Wail actually emits a guitar wail that lasts for a few seconds.
- The Killer Wail most likely causes enemy Inklings to disintegrate, as they are supposedly made of liquid.
- A Killer Wail is used by the final boss of Octo Valley in the second phase and later.
- There are no Sloshers with the Killer Wail as their Special Weapon.
A Killer Wail firing across the map.
Close-up of an activated Killer Wail.
Concept art of various weapons, with the Killer Wail in the middle.
Names in other languages
| Spanish (NOA)
||From the same noun Berreón (Bawler).
| Spanish (NOE)
| French (NOA)
| French (NOE)
||From Haut-parleur (Loudspeaker) and Perceur (Piercer)
||From Tinta (Ink) and the suffix Fono, used in relation to sounds.
|Weapons in Splatoon
|| .52 Gal(Deco) · .96 Gal(Deco) · Aerospray MG(RG, PG) · Dual Squelcher(Custom)
H-3 Nozzlenose(D, Cherry) · Jet Squelcher(Custom) L-3 Nozzlenose(D) · N-ZAP '85('89, '83)
Splash-o-matic(Neo) · Splattershot(Hero, Octoshot, Tentatek, Wasabi) · Splattershot Jr.(Custom)
Splattershot Pro(Forge, Berry) · Sploosh-o-matic(Neo, 7)
Blaster(Custom) · Luna Blaster(Neo) · Range Blaster(Custom, Grim) · Rapid Blaster(Deco)
Rapid Blaster Pro(Deco)
|| Carbon Roller(Deco) · Dynamo Roller(Gold, Tempered) · Splat Roller(Hero, Krak-On, CoroCoro)
Inkbrush(Nouveau, Permanent) · Octobrush(Nouveau)
|| Bamboozler 14 Mk I(Mk II, Mk III) · Classic Squiffer(New, Fresh) · E-liter 3K(Custom)
E-liter 3K Scope(Custom) · Splat Charger(Hero, Kelp, Bento) · Splatterscope(Kelp, Bento)
|| Slosher(Deco, Soda) · Sloshing Machine(Neo) · Tri-Slosher(Nouveau)