The Bomb Launcher is a special weapon in Splatoon 2.
The Bomb Launcher itself consists of a half-pipe that holds the bombs and a separate ink tank. The half-pipe is light blue and wraps around to the user's back from their right arm. There is a launching mechanism with black compartments at the back end of the half-pipe. The separate ink tank is attached below the half-pipe's back end and is similar in appearance to a normal ink tank. However, the Bomb Launcher's ink tank has red caps instead of black ones. Before being thrown, the bombs are inside gashapon capsules. The top of each capsule is transparent while the bottom changes color to match the user's ink.
|Base duration||Autobomb: 6s|
Burst Bomb: 6s
Splat Bomb: 6s
Suction Bomb: 6s
Curling Bomb: 6.66s
|Rate of fire|
The Bomb Launcher allows the player to throw an unlimited amount of bombs during the special's duration without using up any ink. The bombs thrown depend on the type of launcher used, and are as follows:
Players using Bomb Launcher can still attack normally with their main weapon. The remaining bombs thrown during the special do not fill the special gauge after time is up.
Differences from Bomb Rush
While this special weapon is very similar in function to the Bomb Rush from Splatoon, there are some key differences between the two.
- Whereas Bomb Rush was locked to the loadout's current sub weapon in Splatoon, any weapon in Splatoon 2 can potentially have any type of Bomb Launcher. This means that kits with a sub weapon that is not a bomb, like Sprinklers, can have the Bomb Launcher.
- Unlike in Splatoon where Bomb Range Up affected the range of the bombs thrown, Splatoon 2's equivalent ability, Sub Power Up, does not affect the Bomb Launcher.
- Bombs from the Bomb Launcher can be charged up to allow them to be thrown further. An uncharged bomb has the same distance as a thrown sub weapon with no Sub Power Up, while a fully charged bomb is thrown at the same distance as a sub weapon with the maximum amount of Sub Power Up.
- When a Bomb Launcher special ends, there is a one-second period where the game does not accept any input from . This is to prevent the player from accidentally launching a sub weapon when the special ends to avoid wasting ink.
- Without the aid of Special Power Up, the Splat-Bomb Launcher, Suction-Bomb Launcher, and Autobomb Launcher can launch eleven uncharged bombs within the duration, or seven if they are all fully charged. The Curling-Bomb Launcher can launch twelve uncharged, or eight fully charged. The Burst-Bomb Launcher can launch seventeen uncharged, or ten fully charged.
- With the maximum amount of Special Power Up, the duration of most Bomb Launchers increases to eight seconds, allowing the Splat-Bomb Launcher, Suction-Bomb Launcher, and Autobomb Launcher to launch fifteen uncharged bombs within the duration, or nine if they are all fully charged. The Burst-Bomb Launcher can launch 23 uncharged, or fourteen fully charged. The duration of the Curling-Bomb Launcher increases to 8.66 seconds and can launch sixteen uncharged, or ten fully charged.
- The Burst-Bomb Launcher provides a 50% increase to throwing rate compared to throwing Burst Bombs normally, taking twenty frames instead of thirty.
- Most bombs take twenty frames to fully charge, though Burst Bombs take fifteen frames instead.
- Unlike other launchers, Curling Bombs launched behave differently from its sub weapon version. Charging up the Curling-Bomb Launcher only increases the speed of its bombs, where charging up the sub weapon version shortens the travel distance and increases the size of the explosion.
Version history (Curling-Bomb Launcher)
|“||These launch the included bombs without consuming any of your ink.
The longer you hold , the farther you'll throw the bombs.
— Splatoon 2 Sub & Special Guide(NA/OC)[a]
|“||Allows you to throw the included bombs without consuming ink.
The longer you hold down , the farther you will throw your bombs.
— Splatoon 2 Sub & Special Guide(EU)[b]
|Carbon Roller Deco||1001||Burst Bomb||Autobomb Launcher||190p||10||8500||Roller|
|Light Tetra Dualies||5041||Sprinkler||Autobomb Launcher||200p||21||13300||Dualie|
|Bamboozler 14 Mk II||2051||Toxic Mist||Burst-Bomb Launcher||160p||21||10500||Charger|
|Soda Slosher||3002||Splat Bomb||Burst-Bomb Launcher||210p||16||13100||Slosher|
|Aerospray MG||30||Suction Bomb||Curling-Bomb Launcher||160p||6||4900||Shooter|
|Tenta Sorella Brella||6011||Splash Wall||Curling-Bomb Launcher||170p||28||18600||Brella|
|Flingza Roller||1030||Splash Wall||Splat-Bomb Launcher||180p||24||15700||Roller|
|Rapid Blaster||240||Ink Mine||Splat-Bomb Launcher||200p||13||9800||Shooter|
|Sloshing Machine Neo||3021||Point Sensor||Splat-Bomb Launcher||180p||19||19800||Slosher|
|Sorella Brella||6001||Autobomb||Splat-Bomb Launcher||200p||15||12000||Brella|
|Bloblobber Deco||3031||Sprinkler||Suction-Bomb Launcher||190p||20||17600||Slosher|
|Dapple Dualies||5000||Squid Beakon||Suction-Bomb Launcher||170p||26||14700||Dualie|
|Firefin Splat Charger||2011||Splash Wall||Suction-Bomb Launcher||220p||16||10600||Charger|
|Firefin Splatterscope||2021||Splash Wall||Suction-Bomb Launcher||220p||25||13900||Charger|
|Luna Blaster Neo||201||Ink Mine||Suction-Bomb Launcher||170p||24||16600||Shooter|
|Neo Splash-o-matic||21||Burst Bomb||Suction-Bomb Launcher||210p||27||16800||Shooter|
- S2 Bomb Launcher Twitter SplatoonJP Image1.jpg
Bomb Launcher promo image.
- S2 Bomb Launcher Twitter SplatoonJP Image2.jpg
Splat-Bomb Launcher in Musselforge Fitness.
Unofficial render of the Bomb Launcher's game model on The Models Resource.
For competitive tips about the Bomb Launcher
|View the strategy page.|
- None of the sub weapons on any Bomb Launcher sets match the bombs thrown from the Launcher.
- The Bomb Launcher is designed after the Ultra Machine, a batting toy made by Nintendo in 1967. This is likely referenced in their Japanese name, Bomb Pitchers.
- While on the Bomb Launcher's rail, the bombs are inside gashapon capsules, and the two halves of the capsule can be seen being discarded as each bomb is thrown
- Although clams are not sub weapons and are thrown using or , the one-second period after a Bomb Launcher ends still prevents the user from throwing clams during Clam Blitz.
- As visible in the promotional image, the Bomb Launcher has its own ink reservoir, explaining why throwing bombs during the special does not drain the player's ink.
- Although difficult to hear, while active, the Bomb Launcher plays a chiptune version of Bomb Rush Blush, despite how the song is named after its predecessor, the Bomb Rush.
- Before the release of the Bamboozler 14 Mk II, data mining had already revealed in-game data for the Burst-Bomb Launcher, including images for its weapon icon.
- Burst-Bomb Launchers also appeared in the Octo Expansion as a canned special before the release of the Bamboozler 14 Mk II.
- There were meant to be three weapons with Autobomb Launcher as their special, not two. However, the Tri-Slosher Nouveau ended up getting released with the Ink Storm due to fudged datamining.
- No brushes or splatlings have a Bomb Launcher as their special.
- The weapons with the smallest special gauges for Bomb Launchers are the Aerospray MG and Bamboozler 14 Mk II at 160p each. While the largest are the Firefin Splat Charger and Firefin Splatterscope at 220p each.
- There are no weapon sets with Curling Bomb, Fizzy Bomb or Torpedo paired with Bomb Launcher.
- Unlike any other weapon in the Splatoon series, the Bomb Launcher's bombs are thrown from the left side of the player and not from the right side.
- The Bomb Launcher's icon was used as a placeholder icon for the Triple Inkstrike.
Names in other languages
|Bomb Launcher||Splat-Bomb Launcher|
|Suction-Bomb Launcher||Curling-Bomb Launcher|
|Autobomb Launcher||Burst-Bomb Launcher|