A communications error(NA)[a], or communication error(EU/OC)[b] occurs in Splatoon and Splatoon 2 when players in an online match become unable to connect to the other consoles due to issues with one or more player's internet connections. It results in forfeiture of the current match, and unconditional loss of Vibe, Freshness, or Rank points for all players affected.
In the event that the network connectivity of a player is interrupted for whatever reason, even partially or temporarily, their participation in a match is adversely affected. Many pieces of information are transmitted between players at all times, including player and objective locations and ink behavior. Should this information be processed out of order, or should any console delay in sending this information to others, anomalies can occur such as turf not being inked when shot or players appearing to teleport around.
It is possible for multiple players to have communications problems simultaneously; if communication across the entire match suffers enough, the match is forcibly ended for all players. When this occurs, the message "A communications error occurred" or the message "A communication error has occurred" appears, the message that appears is random and it is unknown why there are two different error message variants, the player is then returned to the Battle Lobby screen.
In Splatoon 2, receiving multiple communications errors in a short amount of time may block players from participating in online play for a period of time. The first couple of disconnections yield a warning message when attempting to join a match.
After multiple disconnections, the player is temporarily blocked from online play for five minutes, where the following is displayed:
|“||Your previous online play session didn't end naturally, so we're gonna have to drop the hammer on ya. Make sure your Internet isn't messed up, and try again in (insert number) minute(s).||”|
— Message displayed when blocked from online play after disconnecting.
Repeated disconnections do not extend the time of being blocked from online play. If all players are affected by a communications error, they generally do not get this ban.
Effects of disconnection
Should a player be disconnected in the middle of a match due to a communications error, they are returned to the Battle Lobby, and the following actions are taken.
For the disconnected player, the following applies:
- In both Regular Battles and Ranked Battles, Vibe or Freshness is deducted and the match is considered a loss.
- In Ranked Battles, points are deducted based on the player's rank and team composition.
- In Salmon Run, the player is penalized as if they had lost in the first wave regardless of which wave they were on when the disconnection occurred. Therefore, their Job Title's point range is reduced by twenty points, reducing the Pay Grade by 5%.
In Splatoon 2, for the teammates playing with a disconnected player, the following applies:
- In Regular Battles, teammates do not lose Freshness if the player was disconnected at any moment in the match.
- In Ranked Battles, teammates do not get a crack in their rank meter if the player was disconnected at any moment in the match.
- In Splatfests, teammates did not lose their Splatfest Power if the player was disconnected at any moment in the match.
- In Salmon Run, teammates lose half as many points as they normally would if they lose in the corresponding waves if the player was disconnected at any wave in the match. For example, they would lose ten points in Wave 1 and five points in Wave 2.
When a player disconnects, the post-match scoreboard shows them with 0 points and turf inked, excluding any win bonuses. However, their correct number of splats, specials, and deaths is still displayed. In-match, players who disconnect disappear in a puff of smoke and do not respawn. In Salmon Run, the disconnected player's character is completely absent from the scoreboard and winning or losing animations.
In Splatoon, the player that got disconnected shows in the user interface as being permanently splatted, having a dark squid icon with crossed-out eyes. In Splatoon 2, the disconnected player has an X over their icon while their weapon remains colored instead of being grayed out like it normally would be. In Salmon Run, the disconnected player has a gray blank icon, while a splatted player has an X over their icon with their weapon visible. Additionally, the Golden Egg quota is immediately be reduced to the amount it would have been at if the shift had started with that lower number of players.
Solving the problem
Any form of networking issues may result in a communications error. Problems may occur on the user's end, such as wireless interference or lack of available bandwidth due to other devices on the network; problems may also be due to outages or disruptions at the level of an Internet Service Provider.
If receiving communications errors while playing Splatoon or Splatoon 2 online, it is advised to close high-bandwidth applications such as video streaming services or large file downloads. Use of a wired LAN adapter or ensuring a NAT type of A or B may improve wireless connections.
- Delay in ink appearing on the stage.
- Lagging or teleporting players.
- Frozen players.
- Players displayed as being splatted by far-away opponents.
- Delayed "Splatted" message after splatting a player.
- "The connection is unstable." message.
- When this message appears on players' screens during a match, players are unable to move. Animations, such as firing weapons, may continue to play. Any players that are on inkrails will also be automatically switched into kid form, therefore causing the player to fall off the inkrail and possibly getting splatted.
- If the console loses internet connection completely, players are taken back to Inkopolis rather than the Battle Lobby screen.
- At the beginning of a match, the camera may pan across the map repeatedly, indicative of a player with a bad connection or an imminent communications error.
- It is possible to disconnect even if internet quality is good. Players who are away from their controls for sixty seconds automatically disconnect.
- Sometimes, if the player is still in the Battle Lobby and is on other networks (for example, on the Wii U Internet Browser or the Nintendo Switch Album), the communication error message appears.
Names in other languages
|Italian||Errore di comunicazione||Communication Error|
|Spanish (NOE)||Error de conexión||Connection Error|
- North America
- Europe and Oceania