- For information about the Aerospray RG, see Aerospray RG.
|Strengths||Turfing, mobility, ink efficiency, Baller farming|
|Weaknesses||Weak in most one-on-one encounters due to poor accuracy and short range, less ink tank capacity and no lethal bomb against the Splattershot Jr., outclassed by other special farmers|
Like the Splattershot Jr., the Aerospray RG is a support weapon:
- It has an even wider shot spread and faster firing rate than the Splattershot Jr., enabling it to turf large areas in a short amount of time, which helps either gain or maintain map control, capture zones in Splat Zones, and build up Baller very quickly.
- The rapid firing rate and turfing of the Aerospray RG are offset by its very low damage (24 HP – the weakest in Splatoon 2), short range (103.89 DU – equal to that of the Splattershot Jr.), and poor accuracy, which make it a poor main weapon for confronting most opponents head-on.
- While still capable of splatting opponents within its short range, playing too aggressively risks depriving the user's team of both map control.
- Otherwise, if a certain matchup is disadvantageous, disengage by Super Jumping back to the Spawn point if necessary.
- Compared to the Splattershot Jr., the Aerospray RG has both a smaller ink tank and no lethal bombs with which to completely deny space during the neutral phase. If engaged in a one-on-one against an opposing Splattershot Jr., try to splat them quickly, as the Splattershot Jr.'s more damaging bombs and larger ink tank capacity will likely be too much to contend with in a long, protracted slugfest.
The Sprinkler can be used in a variety of ways to help its user:
- Turfing areas that are either out of reach or unsafe to approach, building up the special gauge.
- Maintaining turf onto highly contested areas, such as on the Tower. A Sprinkler placed high on a wall or ceiling can also be a distraction for an opponent.
- Acting as a light shield in a pinch. Sprinklers have 120 hit points but are easily destroyed by opponents armed with Object Shredder.
The Baller is a versatile special weapon with a variety of uses:
- It enables its user to take control of a certain area of the stage, such as a Splat Zone or underneath the opponents' Clam basket.
- It can force the opponents to clear an area, whether leading a Tower or Rainmaker push or stopping one.
- It provides its user an extra layer of protection, such as when fleeing an unsafe situation or while riding the Tower at a checkpoint. In the latter case, be wary of getting knocked off of the Tower by the opponents' weapons. The Aerospray RG's lightweight nature also increases the Baller's movement speed.
- After the Baller's explosion, nearby opponents not splatted are often damaged enough for a couple of hits from the Inkbrush Nouveau to splat them.
- Baller can be used to survive a Splashdown, although the Baller is instantly destroyed.
- One of the most effective means of scoring in Clam Blitz, especially on stages that are medium to large, involves the Baller providing a safe Super Jump landing point for teammates carrying Power Clams:
- To conceal one's position, the Baller player should not carry a Power Clam, as doing so would mark one with a Ranked Battle symbol on the screen. If one obtains a Power Clam, they should pass it to a teammate, preferably the Anchor, who will remain relatively safe until a Super Jump opportunity presents itself.
- Once the Baller player has built up their special gauge and at least one teammate has a Power Clam, the Baller player activates it in a spot that is nearby the enemy Clam Basket but relatively safe from attack, then rolls underneath the basket, and detonates the Baller, spreading ink around the basket, all while signalling their teammates with , indicating that they are within throwing range of the enemy Clam Basket.
- Any of the Baller's teammates who has a Power Clam will Super Jump to the Baller's position, landing within a throw's reach of the enemy Clam Basket, and toss their clams (Power Clams first) into the basket.
- Ink Armor and Stealth Jump will improve the survivability of teammates who super jump toward the enemy basket. Activating the Splashdown just before landing can also clear out the landing point of enemies and claim a large area of turf, but note that doing so will force its user to drop all clams in possession.
While not particularly useful in any of the Ranked modes, it does have a niche in Turf War.
- Its best stages are larger stages such as Snapper Canal. Due to the size of the stage, it is less likely to come across opponents and forced to fight them, so it can quickly paint the map and have a Baller to survive and flee engagements safely.
Like the Splattershot Jr., the Aerospray RG excels at turfing and building up its special but is short-ranged and weak in direct combat. Therefore, it is recommended that its teammates have weapons that are capable of confronting opponents either head-on or from a distance.
- Turfing while following a teammate builds up Baller and provides friendly turf to which a teammate can retreat whenever needed. This is particularly helpful for slayer teammates whose weapons are poor at turfing, such as a Splattershot Pro or a blaster.
- Cooperate with the teammate using primarily Burst Bombs when engaging an opponent: attack from different angles, or force the opponent to come within range of the teammate's weapon.
- If your teammate gets splatted and the opponent(s) is/are still present, then consider retreating instead of risking getting splatted and losing Booyah Bomb progress.
Another weakness of the Aerospray RG is the lack of lethal bombs — particularly either Splat or Suction Bombs, which provide their user's team a couple advantages over another team that has no lethal bombs in its composition:
- Their one-hit-splat offers its user's team chances of instantly gaining a numbers advantage, from which a game-winning push can arise.
- Their lethal explosion provides space for its user's team to either push into an area held by the opponent or stall an opponent's push.
- The Aerospray RG is generally a poor main weapon for splatting, so almost any weapon with longer range, better accuracy, or higher damage can defeat it in a one-on-one with relative ease.
- An Aerospray RG will most likely stay nearby a teammate armed with a more formidable weapon; that opponent is usually the higher priority. Either find a teammate to assist or try to lure the Aerospray RG's teammate to stray too far from them to receive assistance.
- When attacked by an opponent's Baller, if possible, concentrate fire on the Baller – especially with bombs – to quickly destroy it and prevent its explosion.
- If an opponent riding the Tower activates Baller, attack it at a proper angle – away from the Tower's stake – to knock it off of the Tower.
- Splashdown can destroy a Baller if executed before the Baller initiates its explosion. The Baller's user will remain unsplatted, so prepare a follow-up attack.
Gear abilities provide different effects in battle that benefit the player with their equipped weapon. This is a guide to gear abilities in relation to the weapon. Strategy, synergy, viability, and purpose may be written here.
Ever since its introduction in Version 4.3.0, Bomb Defense Up DX will not only reduce the damage taken from opposing sub and special weapons that are not one-hit-splat but will also reduce the duration of the tracking effects of certain opponent's sub and special weapons, such as Point Sensors and Ink Mines, allowing the user of this ability to evade detection more easily. Because the Aerospray RG is a short-ranged weapon, its user can greatly benefit from reducing the damage taken from their opponents' bombs. Just three ability points, or one sub, offer plenty of utility:
- The splash damage of most bombs is reduced from 30 HP to 28.6 HP. This reduction in damage provides two benefits:
- It prevents its user from being exposed on their opponents' map by the splash damage of most single bombs.
- Ink Armor will not break due to splash damage from a single bomb whose splash damage normally inflicts 30 HP of damage.
- The splash damage of near-misses from either Tenta Missiles or Inkjet, the minimum splash damage of bubbles, and the collision damage from Baller are all reduced from 50 HP to 48.3 HP, enabling one to survive two hits from any of these specific means of special weapon damage.
Any player, including a Aerospray RG user who avoids direct confrontations, is expected to come in contact with the opponent's ink on various surfaces, which can both be damaging and reduce mobility. Ink Resistance Up not only partially offsets the reduction in mobility but also delays the damage taken from contact with opposing ink. Just one sub, or three ability points…
- …delays the damage taken from opposing ink by 10 frames.
- …reduces the damage taken from 0.3 HP/f (health points per frame) to 0.2 HP/f.
- …lowers the limit on the amount of damage opposing ink on surfaces can inflict from 40 HP to 38 HP.
- …increases the normal running speed in opposing ink from 0.24 DU/f to 0.33 DU/f.
- …increases the jumping height in opposing ink from 0.8 to 0.854.
Special Charge Up accelerates building up the special gauge for Baller, which can be useful for pushing, stopping pushes, or to get out of an unfavorable situation.
- 10 ability points – one main – effectively reduce the special gauge requirement to below 170p.
Swim Speed Up increases swim speed. Because a Aerospray RG user has a hard time splatting, Swim Speed Up can help escape the situation or to push in.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 "These Are The WORST Weapons In Splatoon 2 - Patch 5.5 Tier List (Mid-Bottom Tier)" by Chara of Climb
- ↑ Splatoon 2 range list compiled by DrFetus
- ↑ https://twitter.com/ganbawoomy/status/1289936011653533697
- ↑ Splatoon 2 - What is a good team comp? (TOP 6 mistakes) by Sendou
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 "Splatoon 2 - The Ultimate Gear Guide! (Tips and Tricks + all Abilities explained)" by Wadsm
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 "How To Make A PERFECT Gear Build for ALL WEAPONS?! (Gear Building Guide) | Splatoon 2" by ThatSrb2DUDE, formerly of Team Olive
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 loadout.ink - Stat Calculator & Gear Planner for Splatoon 2, applicable for Version 4.8.0
- ↑ Sendou.ink Splatoon 2 Build Analyzer
- ↑ Sendou.ink Analyzer
- ↑ Sendou.ink Weapon Builds