This article discusses content that is not part of the official Splatoon series canon but is part of the community or competitive gaming space.
- The Kensa Octobrush plays similarly to a roller, being stealthy and getting picks.
- In Clam Blitz, the Kensa Octobrush can be used to quickly collect clams.
- Ultra Stamp can also help collect clams, ink a path, and attack at the same time.
- Suction Bombs can be used similarly as Splat Bombs, including clearing areas, such as perches or the Tower, of opponents. However, there are key differences:
- They can attach to surfaces, allowing both more room for error when aiming and the planting of craftier traps, such as underneath a grate.
- They take two seconds after attaching to a surface to detonate, as opposed to one second for a Splat Bomb.
- They inflict more damage from a direct hit and have a larger overall radius of damage.
- If used properly, the Ultra Stamp can tilt the game in the user's team's favor:
- If Ultra Stamp is activated too far from an opponent, especially one with a long-ranged weapon with a straight trajectory (such as a charger or splatling), the opponent can fire in between hammer swings and splat the Ultra Stamp wielder. Either get close enough to an opponent or shark and wait for the opponent to come close before activating the Ultra Stamp, providing little to no time to react.
- Do not run in a predictable manner while swinging the Ultra Stamp, as an adept opponent can outmaneuver past a Ultra Stamp user and splat them from behind.
- It is possible to swim in friendly ink while Ultra Stamp is active. This allows an Ultra Stamp wielder to maneuver more easily than while swinging, climb vertical surfaces, cross and drop through grates, and – most importantly – hide more easily before striking.
- Swinging the Ultra Stamp in midair can splat opponents who are higher than ground level, such as on the edge of a ledge that is just too high to reach by jumping — and even at the apex of a Splashdown!
- The Ultra Stamp can quickly destroy Brella shields, most sub weapons — including Splash Walls, and Ballers, allowing one to break through opposing defenses and stop opponents' pushes. Just stay away from opposing bombs that are just about to detonate.
- While the Ultra Stamp can quickly pop the Rainmaker shield, as it expands, the shield can splat an Ultra Stamp user who is too close. Keep a safe distance by constantly jumping back while striking the shield.
- Do not forget that the Ultra Stamp can be thrown by pressing :
- When faced against an opponent with a long-ranged weapon (such as a charger or splatling) from long distance, it is usually wiser to throw the Ultra Stamp at the opponent than to either charge or swim towards them. A well-aimed thrown Ultra Stamp can throw off an opponent's aim or displace them from their spot, potentially providing enough time to close the distance.
- To maximize the use of an Ultra Stamp, throw it towards an opponent at or near the end of its 9 second duration after splatting any nearby opponents. An Ultra Stamp should only be thrown early if no other options are present, such as preventing a faraway opposing Rainmaker carrier from taking the lead.
- Point Sensors, Autobombs, Torpedoes, and Squid Beakons can reveal the location of a sharking Octobrush.
- The Kensa Octobrush user cannot function without enough map control. Painting over areas well will severely hamper the Kensa Octobrush's ability to get picks.
- This weapon does have slower splat time than most traditional slayers, taking at best half a second, or 30 frames, to splat an opponent. For comparison, the Splattershot can splat in half that time, or 15 frames.
- It can also be outranged by most weapons, as the range from which it deals maximum damage is 30 units, or just under a line in the shooting range.
- Watch the HUD at the top of the screen to see if the brush has their Ultra Stamp ready before fighting it. The user could potentially pull it out and do a jump attack for a quick surprise splat.
- When chasing a Kensa Octobrush, be wary of any Suction Bomb traps the user may have planted around the corner.
Gear abilities provide different effects in battle that benefit the player with their equipped weapon. This is a guide to gear abilities in relation to the weapon. Strategy, synergy, viability, and purpose may be written here.
Quick Respawn shortens respawn time after getting splatted (under specific conditions).
These abilities enhance the sharking playstyle of the Kensa Octobrush, allowing it to be more efficient at stealth with Ninja Squid, and Swim Speed Up to patch up the swim speed reduction that Ninja Squid inflicts on the user.
Allows for more frequent use of Suction Bombs. 3 Ability Points (AP), or one sub ability, will provide 10 flicks after a Suction Bomb on a full tank. 9 AP, or three subs, gives 11 flicks, and 12 AP, or four subs, will give 12. Alternatively, one main ability and one sub can be used.
Not recommended. Even by dedicating all your slots to this ability, you will not run as fast as an Inkbrush. Kensa Octobrush does not run often compared to Inkbrush either, unless it is to quickly dash behind an obstacle to briefly take cover from enemy fire.
As a short-ranged slayer's weapon, the Kensa Octobrush requires its user to be in close quarters with the opponent, who might be inclined to use bombs for zoning out the Kensa Octobrush user. Ever since its introduction in Version 4.3.0, Bomb Defense Up DX will not only reduce the damage taken from opposing sub and special weapons that are not one-hit-splat but will also reduce the duration of the tracking effects of certain opponent's sub and special weapons, such as Point Sensors and Ink Mines, allowing the user of this ability to evade detection more easily.
- 3 ability points - one sub - has a lot of utility. This includes, but is not limited to:
- Ink Armor will not break due to splash damage from bombs and other explosives that do 30 damage.
- Two near-misses from Inkjet, two bumps from a Baller, and splash damage from two bubbles from Bubble Blower will not splat the user.
- Getting hit by splash damage from a bomb will not make the user visible on the map.