|“||AHOY! OCTOLING! Up and at 'em, ya lazy whiffle-whaffle! This fight ain't over! Prepare for a royal whoopin'!||”|
— Cap'n Cuttlefish, Octo Expansion
Craig Cuttlefish, originally nicknamed Cap'n Cuttlefish, is a main character in the Splatoon series. As a veteran of the Great Turf War and former captain of the Squidbeak Splatoon and New Squidbeak Splatoon, he often acts as a guide for the protagonist. He issues the player with the Hero Suit and title of Agent 3 in Splatoon's Octo Valley and similarly gives Agent 8 their nickname, helping them through the Deepsea Metro in the Octo Expansion. As of Splatoon 3, he has passed his title as captain on to Agent 3 and acts as the New Squidbeak Splatoon's "senior advisor", but is still the one to give the new Agent 3 their Hero Suit and job title, and assists them throughout the Crater.
Personality and traits
Cap'n Cuttlefish is a decorated hero who fought in the Great Turf War between the Inklings and Octarians as the leader of the Squidbeak Splatoon. He originally was a good friend of DJ Octavio, but became his nemesis due to the Great Turf War. After winning the war, he began watching over the Octarians in Octo Valley, but failed to prevent them from stealing the Great Zapfish.
Cap'n Cuttlefish's favorite food is crabby cakes, as pointed out both by himself and Agents 1 and 2. He is often distracted by them, giving DJ Octavio the chance to escape from his snow globe prison. In the Commonwealth English version of Splatoon, his favorite food is biscuits instead of crabby cakes, but in later games, it is consistently crabby cakes due to most differences between the two English versions being removed.
Following his first meeting with Pearl, he has taken up rapping as a hobby.
Around one hundred years before the events of Splatoon, Cap'n Cuttlefish was a member of the Inkling military, and personally knew DJ Octavio. However, the onset of the Great Turf War forced him to battle the Octarians, where he served as leader of an Inkling army division called the Squidbeak Splatoon; he fought alongside Ammoses Shellendorf, Judd, and two unidentified Inkling soldiers. While he was still a second lieutenant, Cuttlefish battled Octavio during the siege of Arowana Castle. Thanks to Cuttlefish's efforts, he was promoted to the rank of captain and the Inklings eventually won the war. It is unknown what he did between the end of the war and the beginning of Splatoon, but he seems to have changed little.
By the time of Splatoon, Cap'n Cuttlefish could be found poking his head out of a manhole in the corner of Inkopolis Plaza. Upon being met by a young Inkling at his shack in Octo Valley, he explained to them how the Octarians had returned and stolen the Great Zapfish before recruiting them as Agent 3 of the New Squidbeak Splatoon to help take the Great Zapfish back. He assisted Agent 3 during the levels until the Octowhirl was defeated, after which he got kidnapped by DJ Octavio. His former protégés and granddaughters, Agents 1 and 2, took over his role until the final mission, in which Agent 3 battled DJ Octavio to rescue Cuttlefish and the Great Zapfish. During the final phase of the battle, the two agents revealed themselves as the Squid Sisters and overrode the boss music, allowing Cuttlefish to set himself free while Octavio was defeated.
Replaying the final mission results in new dialogue, describing how DJ Octavio escaped from his snow globe and briefly recaptured Cuttlefish while he was distracted.
After the events of Splatoon, Cap'n Cuttlefish disappeared from Octo Valley. While the Squid Sisters initially believed there to be no cause for concern, his disappearance led Marie to discover that DJ Octavio was able to escape. As a result, in Splatoon 2, she took over Cuttlefish's role as guide and mentor to the newly-recruited Agent 4. It was later revealed that Cuttlefish went off traveling with Agent 3 for "a research trip to the cape", and as a result, was not seen in person. However, an unused dialogue icon for Cap'n Cuttlefish was seen in Splatoon 2's artbook.
Cap'n Cuttlefish reappeared in the Octo Expansion. He and Agent 3 briefly clashed with an Octoling before the three of them were attacked, leaving Cuttlefish and the amnesiac Octoling trapped in the Deepsea Metro. Teaming up, Cuttlefish eventually nicknamed the Octoling as Agent 8 and decided to help them retrieve the four thangs and escape to Inkopolis. He also acted as a guide for Agent 8 throughout the tests, remaining on the metro train to give help alongside Pearl and Marina.
During this time, Cuttlefish took part in Marina's chat room under the username of 'CraigCuttlefish'. After learning how the chat room worked, Cuttlefish learned about Pearl and Marina's respective pasts. He was the first to realize that Marina was an Octoling but continued to support her after learning of her defecting from the Octarian military, alongside the other Octolings that escaped to Inkopolis.
Once Agent 8 collected the four thangs, Cuttlefish joined them walking into the contraption the Telephone created to escape to the surface. However, the device turned out to be a blender intended to purify the pair. Agent 3 saved them, knocking themselves out, and Cuttlefish stayed behind to care for Agent 3 while Agent 8 escaped. However, the Telephone eventually awoke again, capturing Cuttlefish and brainwashing Agent 3 and forcing them to try to kill Agent 8. After Agent 8 saved Agent 3, they joined up in escaping to the surface, as well as meeting Off the Hook in person. As the Telephone revealed itself as Commander Tartar, using the NILS Statue to destroy Inkopolis, Cuttlefish stayed behind on Marina's helicopter as the "hype man", looking after Agent 3 as the rest of the group defeated Tartar by using Pearl's Princess Cannon. With the threat neutralized, he eventually joined Agent 8, Agent 3, and Off the Hook and returned to Inkopolis.
Cuttlefish later returned to the Deepsea Metro train, wanting to check on everyone there, and continued to help Agent 8 during their tests. He also briefly encountered Marie in Marina's chat room. Despite not telling her exactly where he was, he promised to return for her soon.
Cap'n Cuttlefish makes a reappearance in Splatoon 3. He has retired and handed over his title of captain of the New Squidbeak Splatoon to Agent 3. He finds a new recruit in Splatsville and calls them the new Agent 3. For the first four levels of Return of the Mammalians, he helps them out like in the previous games. After defeating DJ Octavio, the ground falls and Smallfry, Cap'n Cuttlefish, and Agent 3 fall into Alterna. Agent 3 and Cap'n Cuttlefish get separated during the fall.
Upon defeating the first boss, Cap'n Cuttlefish contacts the new Agent 3 and reveals he had been kidnapped. Subsequent calls reveal the perpetrator to be Mr. Grizz. While Agent 3 is heading up the rocket, Mr. Grizz explains that he needs Cap'n Cuttlefish's brain as part of his plan, and steals it moments before re-uniting with the new Agent 3; when the New Squidbeak Splatoon arrives, he is left a dry husk, and is assumed dead. Captain holds him in their arms and sheds a tear, which provides enough moisture to revitalize Cap'n Cuttlefish, albeit in a withered state similar in appearance to Japanese-style sun-dried squid. Cap'n Cuttlefish then continues to assist Agent 3 in the final boss as mission control.
After Mr. Grizz's defeat, Cap'n Cuttlefish remains in the New Squidbeak Splatoon camp in Future Utopia Island with Callie and Marie, floating in his withered state, and can be talked to freely.
|View the quotation page.|
An Inkling entering Octo Valley
Cap'n Cuttlefish recruiting Agent 3
Cap'n Cuttlefish warning Agent 3 about Octolings
Younger Cap'n Cuttlefish and DJ Octavio (both in respective humanoid forms) having diplomatic relations
Cap'n Cuttlefish (left of Judd) and fellow Inkling soldiers celebrating the end of the Great Turf War
Unofficial render of Cap'n Cuttlefish's game model on The Models Resource.
Cap'n Cuttlefish as seen in the reveal trailer for the Octo Expansion
A picture of Cap'n Cuttlefish fighting DJ Octavio, shared in Marina's chat room
Cap'n Cuttlefish with Agent 3 for the Chaos vs. Order Splatfest
Cap'n Cuttlefish's appearance in Splatoon 3
- He is the oldest known Inkling character with a confirmed age in the Splatoon series.
- In the first trailer for Octo Valley, Cap'n Cuttlefish appeared to be found in a walled-in area of Inkopolis Plaza.
- This area is similar in appearance to the alley Spyke is found in.
- In the main hub of Octo Valley, the player can ink Cap'n Cuttlefish; he will eventually shake off the ink. However, it takes a considerable amount of ink to completely cover him, suggesting that he may be more resilient than the average Inkling, despite his age and frail appearance.
- His cane is one of many Bamboozlers used by Inkling soldiers in the Great Turf War. However, he has never been seen to use it for its original purpose in-game, only as a cane. Interestingly, he is shown to be using it in credits art.
- On the corner of his shack, Cap'n Cuttlefish has taped up two small photographs of his grandchildren, one of Callie and one of Marie.
- His shack appears to be filled with books and Zapfish dolls, along with pictures of Octarians in the front.
- During the initial tour of Inkopolis upon starting the game for the first time, he is referred to as a "creepy old dude".
- The Cap of Legend is modeled after Cap'n Cuttlefish's signature hat.
- The Old Timey outfit, including the hat, clothes, and shoes, is modeled after Cap'n Cuttlefish's outfit in the Octo Expansion.
- At the beginning of the Octo Expansion, he is seen saying "I'll take your stunned silence as a YES!" to Agent 8. This mirrors Marie's "I'll take your awkward silence as a yes" to Agent 4, which in turn mirrors Cuttlefish's own "I'm gonna take your silence as a yes" to Agent 3.
- According to The Art of Splatoon, Inklings can preserve their bodies by sun-drying, which explains Cap'n Cuttlefish's long lifespan. In the Octo Expansion, it is confirmed that Inklings lose ink and become drier with age.
- One of Cap'n Cuttlefish's rap lines in the Octo Expansion refers to himself as being 130 years old.
- Cap'n Cuttlefish states that he has cuttlebones in the Octo Expansion. However, this may just be a figure of speech, since Inklings are supposed to have no bones, and Cap'n Cuttlefish himself is shown to be an Inkling and not an actual cuttlefish.
- Session 5 of Marina's chat room reveals a picture of Cap'n Cuttlefish from the past when he was a second lieutenant. This is the only known picture of Cap'n Cuttlefish before he was a captain.
- When Cap'n Cuttlefish is kidnapped in Octo Valley, replaying previous missions also has his dialogue missing.
- He also does not peek out of the manhole cover in Inkopolis Plaza when this happens.
- In the Russian localization of the Octo Expansion, he is called Трилобит (Trilobite) by Pearl. This is a reference to the extinct arthropod trilobites and has the same meaning as his English nickname, Old Dude.
- Inside the Deepsea Metro Subway car, Cap'n Cuttlefish's phone screen shows young Callie and Marie, identical to Sunken Scroll 17.
- In the Japanese versions of the games, Cap'n Cuttlefish's favorite food is botamochi (a traditional Japanese sweet) instead of crabby cakes. A plate of botamochi is present in Cuttlefish Cabin in Octo Canyon, alluding to this.
Names in other languages
|From atarime, slang for dried shredded squid, and shio, meaning "tide" or "salt" [note 1]|
|Dutch||Karel Kraak||Carl Kraken|
|French (NOA)||Anastase MacAlmar||Anastase MacAlmar, from calmar (squid) and the scottish noble prefix mac-|
|French (NOE)||Anastase Macalamar||Anastase Macalamar, from calamar (squid) and the scottish noble prefix mac-|
|German||Karl Kuttelfisch||Carl Cuttlefish|
|Italian||Sergio Seppia||Sergio Cuttlefish|
|Russian||Каракатий Кальмостар[note 2]
Крэг Кальмостар[note 3]
|Cuttlefish Oldsquid, from каракатица karakatitsa (cuttlefish), кальмар kal'mar (squid) and старый staryy (old)|
Craig Oldsquid, a combination of his Russian surname and transliteration of his English name
|Spanish||Jerónimo Jibión||Jerónimo Cuttlebone|
|From Mareunojinge (Dried Squid), and the last name is from its Japanese name|
|Commander Atarime (Atarime is slang for dried shredded cuttlefish)|
|Dutch||Kaptein Kraak||Captain Kraken (captain is normally spelled kapitein in Dutch)|
|French (NOA)||Amiral MacAlmar||Admiral MacAlmar|
|French (NOE)||Amiral Macalamar||Admiral Macalamar|
|German||Käpt'n Kuttelfisch||Cap'n Cuttlefish|
|Italian||Capitan Seppia||Captain Cuttlefish|
|Russian||Капитан Кальмостар[note 4]
Капитан Каракатица[note 5]
|From кальмар kal'mar (squid) and старый staryy (old), with the title captain added|
|Spanish||Capitán Jibión||Captain Cuttlebone|
|From 墨鱼丝 (dried shredded cuttlefish) and 司令 (commander)|
- Follows Japanese naming - "Atarime" is surname, "Yoshio" is given name
- Splatoon 2
- Splatoon 3, the reason of his name being different in this game is most likely the change of Russian translation team.
- Squid Sisters Stories
- Pre-release material
- From the official Chinese release of the Splatoon artbook