Gnarly Eddy is a character in Splatoon 3 who runs the headgear shop in Splatsville, Naut Couture, alongside Nails, his boss. He is a laid-back nautilus, his personality contrasting with the energetic Nails.
Gnarly Eddy's shell is off-white with tangerine stripes. He has multiple reddish cirri which make up the rest of his body: two serve as his arms, six function as his legs and are long enough to mimic a torso, and several others are bundled behind him and reach almost down to the floor, mimicking tied dreadlocks.
On the six cirri that mimic a torso, Eddy wears a grey tube top and a pair of striped shorts colored sky blue, magenta, and yellow. On the ends of those cirri he wears apricot-colored flip-flops. He has an indigo bandana tied around his shell and wears a red cuff on his right cirrus-arm and a yellow one on his left, a golden ring, and three golden tassel earrings on either side of his face.
|“||SRL Fashion Desk here with info on Naut Couture, Splatsville's headgear shop. It seems the laid-back shopkeeper Gnarly Eddy and his, uh, less laid-back boss Nails sell hats, masks, glasses, and other things you wear on your head. PSA: do NOT attempt to wear Nails as a hat.||”|
— @SplatoonNA on Twitter
|“||Hats off to Splatsville's go-to guys for headgear.
The laid-back nautilus Gnarly Eddy and the energetic Nails the Snail run Naut Couture, where you can find fresh new headgear to help you get ahead of the game. You can get the hats, masks, and glasses that fit your style—or experiment with new ones. All of the gear comes with abilities that can help you in battle.
— Play Nintendo
North America (English)
- "Yo... welcome to Naut Couture." - When a player enters the shop.
- "Oh, hey. Um... this is kinda awkward, but... I'm not sure you're fresh enough to shop here yet. I think you need to be at least level 4. Maybe go to the lobby and try a few Turf War Battles? I hear those can help with freshness..." - When a player below level 4 enters the shop.
- "Yo...welcome to Naut Couture. Oh NO. You're all the way offline! Um...I think you have to go to the lobby to connect to the internet. Then hit me up later, OK?" - When entering the shop without an internet connection.
- "Yo...welcome to Naut Couture. Whoa. you're pretty fresh, huh? So, um...we sell stuff that you wear on your head. You know, like hats...and, uh...other head-related gear. Oh, but they're not just regular hats! I always forget this part. They've got, like, gear abilities. I think those help you in battles. I don't know too much though. I just work here. You should probably push at some point." - When a player of level 4 or up enters the shop for the first time.
- "Oh, siiick! I've never seen anyone as fresh as you. You're like, TOO fresh. Are you sure you even wanna shop here?" - When a player enters the shop after reaching level 30.
- "Whoa. You're fresher than last time. That's good, 'cause I think we got some fresh new gear for you, or something. Right, Boss?" - When a player enters the shop after leveling up.[Citation needed]
- "Oh, so, like...you already have that item. Did you want to raise its star power or trade in your old one?" - When a player tries to purchase a piece of headgear that they already have
- "Um...that gear already has the highest star power possible. You can't boost it any higher!" - When a player tries to star up an item that's already at five stars
- "Oh, um...do you have an extra moment right now? Sorry–it's just...you're one of our best customers and, like, we wanted to show our appreciation. It's not much, but we got you this special badge to show off. Y'know...if you want to." - After spending 100,000 coins' worth at Naut Couture
When a player below level 4 enters the shop:
- "O, eh, hé... Had ik, eh, al gezegd dat je, eh, niveau 4 moet zijn om hier te, eh, winkelen? Nou, eh, dat moet dus. Misschien kun je, eh, naar de lobby gaan en Grondoorlog spelen tot je niveau hoger...? Ja, eh, hoger is. Daar schijn je, eh, vers van te worden..."
- (Oh, uh, hey... Have I, uh, already said that you, uh, have to be level 4 to, uh, shop here? Well, uh, you have to. Maybe you can, uh, go to the lobby and play Turf War until your level higher...? Yes, uh, higher is. You seem to, uh, become fresh from that...)
When a player of level 4 or up enters the shop for the first time:
- "Welkom, eh, bij Nauts Deals. Wauw, eh, jij bent vers..."
- (Welcome, uh, to Naut Couture. Wow, uh, you are fresh...)
- "Ik, eh, verkoop dingen voor op je hoofd, zoals, eh, petten en, eh, zo. O, eh, maar niet zomaar, eh, petten. Ze hebben, eh, speciale effecten. Ik, eh, geloof dat ze je helpen om, eh, beter te vechten. En als je meer, eh, wilt weten over een, eh, voorwerp, kun je altijd op, eh, drukken."
- (I, uh, sell things for on your head, such as, uh, caps and, uh, such. Oh, uh, but not just, uh, caps. They have, uh, special abilities. I, uh, believe that they help you to, uh, battle better. And if you want, uh, to know more about a, uh, item, you can always, uh, press .)
When a player of level 10 or up enters the shop for the first time:
- "Welkom in, eh, Nauts Deals. Wauw, eh, ben je nog verser dan de vorige keer? Eh? Nou, eh, ik heb net mooie spullen te koop, dus, eh, kijk maar... Eh..."
- (Welcome to, uh, Nauts Couture. Wow, uh, are you even fresher than the last time? Uh? Well, uh, I just have nice new stuff for sale, so, uh, take a look... Uh...)
When a player of level 20 or up enters the shop for the first time:
- "Welkom, eh, bij Nauts Deals. Wauw, eh, jij doet echt je, eh, best om vers te zijn! Eh! Geweldig dat je, eh, langskomt!"
- (Welcome, uh, to Naut Couture. Wow, uh, you really do your, uh, best to be fresh! Uh! Awesome that you, uh, stop by!)
When a player of level 30 or up enters the shop for the first time:
- "Welkom in, eh, Nauts Deals. Wauw, eh, jij bent zo vers dat, eh... Weet je zeker dat, eh, je hier wilt winkelen? Eh? In ieder geval, eh, heel erg bedankt dat je, eh, langskomt!"
- (Welcome to, uh, Naut Couture. Wow, uh, you're so fresh that, uh.... Are you sure that, uh, you want to shop here? Uh? Anyway, uh, thanks so much for, uh, stopping by!)
When spending at least 10.000 cash for the first time:
- "O, eh, heb je, eh, even? Jij bent een van, eh, mijn beste klanten en, eh, ik wil je iets, eh, geven. Het is een, eh, speciale badge om, eh, te dragen... Eh. Eh. Als je, eh, wilt natuurlijk."
- (Oh, uh, do you, uh, have a moment? You're one of, uh, my best customers and, uh, I want to, uh, give you something. It's a, uh, special badge to, uh, wear.... Uh. Uh. If you, uh, want to, of course.)
When spending at least 1.000.000 cash for the first time:
- "Hé, ehhh, eh, sorry dat ik je weer stoor, maar, eh... Je bent, eh, nog steeds een van mijn beste klanten. Eh, misschien wel de beste... Dus, eh, ik heb nu een nieuwe badge. Een, eh, allerbesteklantbadge. Eh. Ik zou, eh, het leuk vinden als je, eh, die droeg. Maar, eh, je mag het zelf weten. Eh. Eh. Bedankt voor je, eh, klan... eh... ...dizie."
- (Hey, uh, uh, sorry to bother you again, but, um... You're, uh, still one of my best customers. Uh, maybe the best... So, uh, I now have a new badge. A, uh, very best-customer badge. Uh. I would, uh, like it if you, uh, wore that one. But, uh, it's up to you. Uh. Uh. Thanks for your, uh, pa... uh... ...tronage.)
When entering the shop without an internet connection:
- "Welkom in, eh, Nauts Deals. Eh... Wat?! Je bent niet verbonden met het, eh, internet! Volgens mij moet je, eh, daarvoor de lobby bezoeken. En dan moet, eh, kan je hier weer terugkomen."
- (Welcome to, um, Nauts Couture. Uh... What?! You are not connected to the, uh, internet! I believe you have, uh, to visit the lobby for that. And then you have, uh, can come back here again.)
When entering the shop:
- "Welkom bij, eh, Nauts Deals."
- (Welcome to, uh, Naut Couture.)
When the shop stocks a piece of already-owned headgear for the first time:
- "O, eh, ik moet je iets, eh, vertellen. Het is een, eh, beetje ingewikkeld... Eh... Ik kan je, eh, een artikel verkopen dat je, eh, al hebt, zodat jouw artikel zeldzamer wordt. Eh. Of, eh, je kunt jouw artikel inruilen om, eh, weer een artikel te hebben waarbij de effecten, eh, zijn teruggedraaid. Eigenlijk is het, eh, eh, toch niet zo ingewikkeld."
- (Oh, uh, I have to tell you, uh, something. It is a, uh, bit complicated... Uh... I can you, uh, sell an article that you, uh, already have, so that your article's star power is raised. Uh. Or, uh, you can trade in your article to, uh, have an article again where the abilities, uh, are rolled back. Actually it is, uh, uh, not that complicated after all.)
When selecting a piece of headgear:
- "Wil je dit, eh, kopen?"
- (You want to, uh, buy this?)
When selecting a piece of already-owned headgear:
- "O, eh, dat artikel heb je al. Eh, wil je het zeldzamer maken of, eh, inruilen om de effecten terug te, eh, draaien?"
- (Oh, uh, you already have that article. Uh, you want to raise the star power or, uh trade in to reverse, uh, the abilities?)
When deciding whether to exchange a piece of headgear:
- "De, eh, extra effecten en, eh, zeldzaamheid van je artikel worden, eh, teruggedraaid. Eh, oké?"
- (The, uh, secondary abilities and, uh, star power of your item will be, uh, reverted. Uh, okay?)
When trying to trade in a piece of headgear that has the same main ability:
- "Ik, eh, denk dat dit niet nodig is, want, eh, deze artikelen hebben hetzelfde, eh, hoofdeffect."
- (I, uh, don't think this is necessary because, uh, these articles have the same, uh, main ability.)
When selecting a piece of already-owned headgear with max star power:
- "Eh, dit kan niet zeldzamer worden. Het is al, eh, op de maximale zeldzaamheid."
- (Uh, this one's star power can't be boosted any further. It's already, uh, at maximum star power.)
When selecting a piece of already-bought headgear on the same day:
- "O, eh, alles is, eh, uitverkocht!"'
- (Oh, uh, everything is, uh, sold out!)
When selecting a piece of already-bought headgear on the same day in Inkopolis:
- "O, eh... Ik geloof dat we, eh, er daar geen meer van, eh, hebben..."
- (Oh, uh... I believe we, uh, don't, uh, have any more of those...)
When buying a piece of headgear:
- "Gelijk, eh, dragen?"
- (Wear it, uh, right away?)
After buying a piece of headgear:
- "Oké, eh, veel plezier en, eh, je kunt van kleding wisselen in het, eh, uitrustingsscherm. O, en, eh, bedankt!"
- (Okay, uh, have fun and, uh, you can change clothes in the, uh, equip screen. Oh, and, uh, thanks!)
When not having enough cash:
- "O, eh, je hebt niet genoeg... eh... geld..."
- (Oh, uh, you don't have enough... uh... cash...)
- Main article: Badge#Purchased Items
|Gnarly Eddy Badges|
|100K Naut Couture Club|
|1M Naut Couture Club|
Gnarly Eddy as he appears on his Tableturf Battle card.
Gnarly Eddy as he is seen in his shop, Naut Couture.
Unofficial render of Gnarly Eddy and Nails' game model on The Models Resource
Gnarly Eddy's Tableturf Battle card sleeve
- According to a Famitsu interview, Nails hired Gnarly Eddy as a clerk and model for Naut Couture and he doesn't mind Eddy's shyness.
"Gnarly" is a slang word meaning "excellent," popularized by surfers. "Eddy" has two water-related definitions: either a whirlpool, or a smaller current running against a larger one.
Names in other languages
|Common surname, also from オウムガイ Ōmugai ("nautilus")|
|Dutch||Naut||From nautilus ("nautilus") and Nout, a male given name[note 1]|
|French||Arnaud Till||From nautile ("nautilus")|
|German||Perry Bo||From Perlboot ("nautilus")|
|Italian||Nautimo||From nautilus ("nautilus")|
|From наутилус nautilus (nautilus), спрут sprut (octopus) and крутой krutoy (cool) or possibly скрутить skrutit' (to twist)|
|Spanish||Espiraldo||From espiral ("spiral") and the suffix -aldo found in some Spanish names|
luó luó (Mandarin)
|From 螺 (Snails or Spiral shells)|
|Same as Japanese|
|Portuguese||Gnarly Eddy||Same as English|
- When placed next to each other, Nails' and Gnarly Eddy's Dutch names form Argonaut (Argonaut)