|“||Shoot Inkrails with to activate them!||”|
Inkrails appear to be long, thin ropes of ink that connect various platforms in Octo Valley. They are tethered to such platforms by slightly larger bulbs that serve as entry points for Agent 3. The bulbs must be activated by hitting them with ink before the player can use the rail. When in squid form, Agent 3 is able to travel back and forth along Inkrails as they please; however, if they jump off or use their humanoid form while on an Inkrail, they fall to their death. Agent 3 can jump higher than otherwise possible whilst moving across an Inkrail.
No Inkrails are found in Octo Canyon, due to being replaced by ride rails, and they have instead been introduced into the multiplayer as a new mechanic. They work similarly to how they did in the first game, but after the bulb has been activated, the ink capacity visually decreases until it empties. Once empty, players cannot use the rail again until they hit the bulb with more ink, which refills it. While active, the Inkrail can only be used by players of the same ink color, and opposing players can hit it to more quickly decrease the length of activity. Inkrails are active for around fifteen seconds without anyone shooting the bulb.
Inkrails make a return in the Octo Expansion and perform similar functions to the original game. They have a more prominent use and help Agent 8 get around more easily and find better ways to splat Sanitized Octarians.
Inkrails make a return in Splatoon 3, appearing in the level Get to Know Alterna, Your Only Choice and are also in many multiplayer maps.
- Area 1
- Rise of the Octocopters (Mission #3)
- Area 2
- Gusher Gauntlet (Mission #4)
- Spreader Splatfest (Mission #7)
- Octoling Invasion (Mission #8)
- Area 3
- Inkrail Skyscape (Mission #10)
- Flooder Junkyard (Mission #12)
- Area 4
- Area 5
- Enter the Octobot King! (Area 5 Boss)
- Musselforge Fitness (Rainmaker and Clam Blitz)
- Humpback Pump Track (Tower Control, Rainmaker and Clam Blitz)
- Moray Towers
- Port Mackerel (Clam Blitz)
- Snapper Canal (Tower Control and Clam Blitz)
- Shellendorf Institute (Splat Zones, Rainmaker, and Clam Blitz)
- Arowana Mall (Tower Control, Rainmaker and Clam Blitz)
- Goby Arena
- Camp Triggerfish
- Wahoo World
- Piranha Pit (Splat Zones, Tower Control, Rainmaker, and Clam Blitz)
- Blackbelly Skatepark (Splat Zones, Tower Control, and Clam Blitz)
- Starfish Mainstage (Tower Control, Rainmaker, and Clam Blitz)
- Skipper Pavilion (Splat Zones)
- New Albacore Hotel (Splat Zones)
- Layout 3: Goosponge
- Abandoned Station
- Wassup 8-Ball Station
- Rad Ride Station
- Tubular 8-Ball Station
- Phat Splatz Station
- McFly Station
- Goose Station
- Da Bomb Station
- Freakazoid Station
- Dinky Ink Station
- All Eyez Station
- Outrageous Station
- Coccyx Phase
- Villi Phase
- Diaphragm Phase
An Inkling using an Inkrail.
A lime-colored Inkling using an Inkrail in Octo Valley.
An activated Inkrail in Flooder Junkyard.
Names in other languages
|French (NOE)||Fil d’encre||Wire of ink|
|Italian||Colorotaia||From colore (color) and rotaia (rail)|
|Spanish (NOA)||Tintarriel||From tinta (ink) and riel (rail)|
|Spanish (NOE)||Tintransportador||From tinta (ink) and transportador (transporter)|