Moving platforms are platforms able to move without the use of a propeller. These platforms can be made of many materials, such as typical metal, non-inkable blocks, or temporary stage-setup blocks (used in many ranked modes). These platforms are usually constructed by the Octarians. Marina also sometimes includes them in the Shifty Stations she creates for Splatfests. Similar unnatural platforms are invisible walls/floors, floating pieces of land, or floating propeller platforms.
Moving platforms are used to assist the player in getting to one area from another. The platforms can move in a variety of directions, as well as in different ways. If the platform does not tilt, the movement of the player on the platform is relative to the platform. However, when jumping, the player's movement is relative to the stationary ground, which may lead to the player falling off the moving platform if they are near the edge or do not anticipate the platform's movement. When swimming on a wall that is part of a moving platform, the player's directional input is relative to the direction they are swimming as if it were a normal wall. If the platform tilts and creates a steep slope, a player in humanoid form will fall down. If the player is swimming, they will stay on the platform as long as they are not upside down, which will cause them to fall.
- There are a set of moving platforms platforms in Beaker's Depot to reach the mission Octoseeker Shakedown and Parking Garage.
- In Cephalon HQ, there are UFO platforms with varied colors, and a set of moving invisible platforms.
- In Enter the Octohurler, there are Spreader platforms cycling around the stage for the player to reach the hidden Sunken Scroll.
- In Hasta La Vista Station, there are two Sanitized Octosnipers with Splash Walls on a moving platform.
- In House Party Station, there is a Sanitized Octosniper on a UFO platform.
- In Coccyx Phase, moving platforms covered with ink are used to help Agent 8 get around without a weapon.
- In Spinal Phase, Sanitized Agent 3 uses a UFO which only moves slightly.
- Inner Agent 3 uses a more advanced UFO which flies across the stage, making it harder to throw bombs at them.