Octosnipers are much taller than most other Octarians. They are stationed on immobile platforms from which they blow shots of ink through instruments that appear similar to a lengthened megaphone. They wear a set of goggles with a laser sight protruding from their left eye. The green laser that comes from the sight reveals where they are looking, and the laser turns red when they spot the player or another suspicious object. Like many Octarians, they also appear to possess short, stubby legs.
Octosnipers are completely immobile unless on a moving platform. They are traditionally situated in higher locations to get a better shot at the player. When an Octosniper spots a player, they will focus their laser sight on the player, charge, and fire a blast similar to that of a fully charged shot from a weapon in the charger category. This creates a trail of ink.
It is recommended the player stays behind cover and hide in their ink when confronting an Octosniper, especially in Octo Canyon or the Octo Expansion where they can break the player's armor in one hit. The most effective way of dealing with an Octosniper is to get close to it by swimming slowly through ink or take cover and spray it down before it notices. Sub weapons such as Splat Bombs and Autobombs can also be easily used to splat it given the fact that Octosnipers cannot move and, in turn, cannot run away from a sub weapon. Octosnipers are quite observant and will notice the player if they swim too fast in ink. Octosnipers are very powerful at a distance, but their firing device is too long to reach the player when they are too close. Touching one will cause the player to recoil, but nothing else.
- Octosniper Ramparts (Mission #17)
- Splat-Switch Revolution (Mission #22)
- Far-Flung Flooders (Mission #25)
- Unavoidable Flying Object (Mission #27)
- Octo-Resort Spring (Mission #12)
- Dancing Floors (Mission #13)
- Parking Garage (Mission #14)
- Secret Bowling Alley (Mission #16)
- Towering Heights (Mission #18)
- Propellerland (Mission #20)
- Octolings Ahoy! (Mission #21)
- The Octogalaxy (Mission #23)
- Bounce with Me Station
- Brute Rollup Station
- Phat Splatz Station
- Move It Move It Station
- Right Round Station
- McFly Station
- Abracadabra Station
- Mad Props Station
- Goose Station
- Labyrinth Station
- Hypercolor Station
- Squee-G Funk Station
- Bodacious Rotation Station
- Hasta La Vista Station
- House Party Station
- Ink 'n' Slide Station
- Gnarly Rails Station
- Freakazoid Station
- Wack 8-Ball Station
- Slap Bracelet Station
- Ballercise Station
- Toastmaster Station
- Can't Touch This Station
- All Eyez Station
- Ride with Me Station
- Footloose Station
- Coccyx Phase
- Villi Phase
- Diaphragm Phase
Return of the Mammalians
- After Alterna
- Doors, Doors, Doors! And More! (Doors)
- Zip, Splat, and Jump
- Twirling, Swirling, Whirling
- Soak It to Me!
- The Ink-Conservation Project
- Ink Wheels—Experience Tomorrow's Technology Today!
- Rail Pass
- Charge Now, Splat Later
- Stamp 'Em Out
- Uh-Oh! Too Many Snipers!
- Zipping over the Neighborhood
- Making Waves with Splashdowns
- Low Viz, High Risk
- Simply Zipcastic!
- You'll Go Far If You Shoot Far
- Learn to Reflect, and This One Is in the Bank
- Octarian Heights
- Torture Tour
- Conserve Ink—Splat Sustainably
- Keep It Rolling
- That Sinking Feeling
- Breathe In, Breathe Out
- Dive and Dash
- Mission: Fly-Fishin'
- Alterna Space Center: Entrance
- Alterna Space Center: Hangar
- Alterna Space Center: Lift
- The Spirit Lifter: Steerage
- The Spirit Lifter: First Class
- In Octo Valley, it takes two shots for an Octosniper to splat the player or break their armor. In Octo Canyon, the Octo Expansion, and Return of the Mammalians, however, it takes only one shot from an Octosniper to break the player's armor or splat them.
- In Octo Valley, Octosnipers can be distracted by using Splat Bombs, Burst Bombs, or Seekers; the Octosniper will aim at the sub weapon but will not open fire. In Octo Canyon, the Octo Expansion, and Return of the Mammalians, Octosnipers will aim and fire at any airborne ink pellets or sub weapons they see but will prioritize firing at the player if they see them too.
An Octosniper in Octosniper Ramparts.
Size comparison with an Inkling.
A render of an Octosniper from Splatoon 2.
A Sanitized Octosniper.
Unofficial render of the Octosniper's game model from Splatoon 2 on The Models Resource.
Names in other languages
|Dutch||Octoschutter||From octo and schutter ("shooter, marksmans")|
|French||Tentatourelle||From tentacule ("tentacle") and tourelle ("gun turret")|
|German||Oktoschütze||From Okto ("octo") and Schütze ("shooter, rifleman")|
|Italian||Polpotiratore||From polpo ("octopus") and tiratore ("sniper")|
|Spanish||Octotirador||From Octariano ("Octarian)" and francotirador ("sniper")|
Zhāngyú jūjī bīng
|Octopus sniping trooper|
|Korean||문어 스나이퍼||Same as Japanese|