Team of top 500 players in Rank X with their crown icons, shown before battle in Splatoon 2
Players who have ranked up to Rank X battle for X Power rather than the Rank Meter. Players with similar X Power levels are matched together even within Rank X. Once a month, for each of the four different Ranked Battle modes, 500 players with the highest X Power are announced on SplatNet 2.
Also on SplatNet 2, for each weapon, there is an option to view one player that has the highest X Power compared to other users of that weapon. This way, players can see others that use the same weapons they do.
Along with the monthly ranking announcement, X Power resets to "Calculating" status. During the time of the reset, players whose X Power ends up lower than a set threshold rank down to S+9. However, if X Power drops far enough, players may rank down to S+9 on the spot rather than at the time of the reset.
Monthly Ranking periods
Each Ranking period start at the beginning of the month at 00:00 UTC with X Power reset. X Rank Leaderboard of the top 500 players in each of the 4 different Ranked Battle Modes are announced on SplatNet 2.
A day or two before every ranking period, stages roster for each of the 4 different Ranked Battle modes are announced on social media.
Legend in X Rank leaderboard:
Player's Rank change:
- new player in the ranking.
▲ - player went up in ranking.
▼ - player went down in ranking.
▶ - player remained in the same ranking.
Change in weapon and stage additions
New weapons were added approximately once a week, with a ranking period of a month, while a batch of several weapons was added once a month.
Furthermore, stage additions or revamps were more likely to debut once a month at the time of the monthly reset.
||Neo Splash-o-matic, Foil Squeezer, New Squiffer and Glooga Dualies Deco
||Carbon Roller Deco, Custom Dualie Squelchers, Rapid Blaster Pro Deco and Undercover Sorella Brella
||New Albacore Hotel
||Explosher, Ballpoint Splatling, Bamboozler 14 Mk II and Tenta Sorella Brella
||Light Tetra Dualies, Custom Hydra Splatling, Bloblobber and Nautilus 47
||New additions from updates|
(New stages were added to Ranked Battle rosters of all modes)
||Starfish Mainstage - revamped (4.0.0)
||4.0.0: Kensa Splattershot, Kensa Splat Roller, Kensa Charger, Kensa Splatterscope and Kensa Splat Dualies
||Skipper Pavilion (4.1.0)
||4.1.0: Kensa Splattershot Pro, Kensa Luna Blaster, Kensa Dynamo Roller and Kensa Sloshing Machine
||The Reef - revamped (4.2.0)
||4.2.0: Kensa Splattershot Jr., Kensa L-3 Nozzlenose, Kensa Octobrush and Kensa Undercover Brella
||Blackbelly Skatepark - revamped (4.3.0)
||Shellendorf Institute - revamped (5.0.0)
Ranked Battle stage limitation
The Ranked Battle stage roster is limited to eight per Ranked Battle mode. Then, at the monthly X Power reset, the stage selection refreshes to a different set of eight.
History regarding X Rank
- A new rank type, "X Rank" is now available.
- When a player has reached X Rank in the Ranked Battle mode they are currently playing pressing in the L and R sticks at the same time while in the lobby will cause the player to strike a special pose.
- Fixed an issue for X Rank causing the "Danger!" warning message to appear mistakenly just after the calculating period ended.
- Fixed an issue causing Clam Blitz rank to incorrectly display as S+9 on the screen displaying Rank X positions for the previous month when a player has attained Rank X in any mode other than Clam Blitz and also has a Clam Blitz rank of between S+0 and S+8.
- Fixed an issue causing an incorrect calculation period to display on the screen displaying Rank X positions for the previous month.
- Fixed an issue occurring on the X Rank results screen while calculating X Power in which the highest X Power would temporarily be displayed incorrectly, preventing the actual number from being displayed.
- When playing Ranked or League Battles as a pair, your rank meter, X Power, or League Power will no longer decrease when playing with fewer members on your team due to internet disconnections for an even shorter period than was previously the case.
- If internet disconnections prevent a player from finishing enough matches out of the last few dozen matches played, the decrease to their rank meter or X Power for each subsequent unfinished match will be greater than it was previously.
- Weapon specifications are taken into account when splitting an assembled group of eight players into teams for Ranked Battle, but this feature has been changed in the following ways:
- The number of players with crown icons in X Rank will no longer have a significant impact on team breakdown.
- The number of players using weapons from different categories such as “shooter” or “roller” won’t have a significant impact on team breakdown. Instead, the specifications for each specific weapon will be given more weight when splitting up teams.
- Adjusted settings for X Rank battles so that during times when there are many players online, players with high X Power will be more likely to match with each other.
- Further changes may be made depending on how the situation develops.
- Made it so that for X Rank battles, other players' names are not displayed on the screen while waiting for players to join.
- Made it so that for X Rank battles, you may battle with someone even if they're blocked via console settings if that player's estimated rank is within the top 2,000.