These Octarians have been sterilized with a type of primordial ooze created by Commander Tartar. The process of sanitizing results in the Octarian losing all sense of free will, allowing them to be controlled similar to robots as seen with the dialogue from Sanitized Octolings. Marina notes that the sanitized Octarians appear to have no pulse or signs of life.
Sanitized Octarians are visually distinct from normal Octarians by their coloration: a blue-to-neon yellow gradient on their tentacles and eyes with black sclera and glowing aqua blue irises. Elite versions (such as Santizied Elite Octolings, Sanitized Deluxe Octocopters, Sanitized Deluxe Twintacle Octotroopers, etcetera) have a darker blue and the same yellow in the gradient.
Their voices sound more digital and compressed and when splatted they briefly leave glowing blue pixels and glitch-like squares. Instead of the glitter-like effect that ink has in Octo Canyon, the Sanitized Octarians' ink resembles dishwasher detergent or hand sanitizer.
Types of Sanitized Octarians
The following Octarian types have Sanitized variations. Types denoted with an asterisk have only appeared as Sanitized:
- Twintacle Octotrooper
- Octo Oven (As "Octo Oven XXL")
- Octo Samurai (As "Return of Octo Samurai")
- Neo Octostomp (As "Octostomp Redux")
- Octo Shower (As "Octo Shower Supreme")
The following Octarian machines appear using Sanitized Octarian Ink
- Although the implication is that Octarians lose all free will after Sanitizisation, bios about Dedf1sh describes how "little of her former self remains", showing that, at least in some cases, Sanitized Octarians do retain some memories.
Sanitized Octolings in the Octo Expansion, each carrying different weapons.
A Sanitized Octoball inside the NILS Statue Cannon.
Sanitized Octoballs flying out of the exploding NILS.
The Octo Oven XXL
The Octostomp Redux
The dialogue portrait for a Sanitized Octoling
Characters in Splatoon 2