|Hair color||Light Blue/Navy Blue|
|“||You think you're cool? Sharks call ME cold-blooded. But you can call me Shiver!||”|
— Shiver introducing herself in Return of the Mammalians
Shiver is a character in Splatoon 3 and one of the three members of the band Deep Cut, alongside Frye and Big Man, with whom she co-hosts both Anarchy Splatcast, the news show of Splatsville, and Splatfests. She is also the third reachable boss of Return of the Mammalians. Her signature color is blue.
She is voiced by Anna Sato.
Shiver is an Octoling with pale skin and a wide, oval-shaped face, with slender eyes under sharp blue triangle eyebrows. Her irises are red, with light red pupils in the shape of an infinity symbol, similar to Marina's pupils, (and matching octopuses in real life). Her Octoling eye mask is thin and sharp, almost appearing to be cat-eyeliner makeup, with red eye shadow blended underneath.
Shiver's tentacles are shoulder length, with the left side styled over her face, hiding her left eye from view. Her tentacles have a slight gradient from a light blue to navy blue, and are curled upwards slightly at the ends. In addition to the eye makeup, Shiver also appears to be wearing a light red lip gloss.
Shiver has a cool, yet rebellious sense of fashion, with a clear root in traditional Japanese culture. She wears a white sarashi chest wrap, under a long purple shawl made from a shiny translucent material. Attached to the left side of the shawl is a large silver octopus charm with two red tassels tied through holes in the ornament. On her legs are low-cut black leggings decorated with two slashes on her right thigh, resembling shark gills. She wears black tabi-like shoes with red wedge heels. Additionally, Shiver's fingertips are dyed a bright red color. Her right ear is pierced with three shark tooth-shaped earrings. On the back of her head, circling a large suction cup on one of her tentacles, is a length of white twisted cloth tied in a knot; not unlike the traditional Japanese hachimaki headband. Hachimaki have a variety of styles, and the one worn by Shiver in particular is a common sight during certain Japanese festivals.
During the Anarchy Splatcast and Splatfest performances, Shiver can be seen holding a white sensu fan, painted with her family crest in blue which many think the bottom half resembles the marbling of fat in salmon. In Alterna, she also wears a shark mask, which takes inspiration from Japanese kitsune masks with its characteristic red and white design.
During Splatfests, any part of Shiver's appearance that is normally blue changes to match the color of her Splatfest team, with the exception of her fingertips, her tongue, her wedge heels, and her octopus charm tassels; which are instead painted with a color directly opposite of her Splatfest team.
Personality and traits
Shiver presents herself as aloof and cold-blooded, a ruthless fighter who is certain of her victory. However, she is particularly quick to anger due to her competitive nature. As soon as she starts to lose to Agent 3, she begins to get visibly annoyed with the player and Master Mega.
Still, she appears to be the most mature member of Deep Cut, often remaining pragmatic, and composed, opposite of Frye and Big Man who tend to be more bold than Shiver. This maturity makes her a sort of leader of Deep Cut, in charge of opening and closing every Anarchy Splatcast and announcing important events like Splatfest themes and game updates. She also occasionally comes down quite severely on her bandmates and is a deep perfectionist, sending Big Man back to the drawing board with Anarchy Rainbow several times, and often criticizing both Frye and Big Man's battle techniques. Nevertheless, she greatly cares for her bandmates, poking fun at them and sometimes even showing admiration for their boldness.
Despite her perfectionism and brash persona, Shiver can be surprisingly humble and understanding when she lets herself relax, as she was willing to put aside her differences and work with the New Squidbeak Splatoon, even being the one to suggest that Marie becomes their boss,[a] and happily referring to the Squid Sisters as the band's "bosses". She also seems to enjoy puns. In contrast to her bandmates' impulsiveness, Shiver seems to enjoy predictability and does not like being caught off-guard. She has stated that she listens to Sheldon's rambles and takes his advice, believing herself to be one of the only people who is willing to do so.
Shiver was born into the Hohojiro clan of shark tamers, well-known for representing the Splatlands. As a child, she participated in gruelling training to learn shark-taming, eventually gaining the ability to tame giant sharks, a rarity even among the Hohojiro. She met Master Mega during this period, bonding with him through ritual. She met Frye and Big Man at a young age due to their familial ties, but remained acquaintances with them. When she reached middle school, Shiver took an interest in Frye, whose fiery and brave personality caught her eye. The two started looking out for each other, with Shiver often being concerned about her recklessness, before the two started to bond over their shared love of singing. They would often go to the school rooftop and sing together, before deciding they wanted accompaniment and seeking out Big Man, a pianist. This led to the formation of Deep Cut as it is known today.
After this, an older classmate asked the trio to make a cheering song for a school competition. Big Man and Frye agreed, but Shiver demanded 30,000G payment, which led to the creation of Hide and Sleek, Deep Cut's very first song. A local bowling alley commissioned a song for a commercial, to which Shiver hiked their price up to 300,000G, and what resulted was their second song, Smeared Canvas. The success of the commercial, and the song along with it, made Deep Cut relatively well known in the Splatlands.
Several years later, Deep Cut was made the hosts of the Anarchy Splatcast.
By the time of Splatoon 3, Deep Cut had become relatively well known within the Splatlands for both their music and the Anarchy Splatcast. As part of Deep Cut, Shiver announces Big Runs, reports stage rotations, and hosts Splatfest events, performing her solo song, Anarchy Poisons (Bird Mix), and Anarchy Rainbow for the entire event. Deep Cut are also the ones who initially report the news of the Great Zapfish's third disappearance.
Return of the Mammalians
Shiver and the rest of Deep Cut are initially hostile to Agent 3 and the New Squidbeak Splatoon, declaring that all treasure in Alterna is theirs to plunder and that they will not let anyone else have it. Later, when the New Squidbeak Splatoon team agrees to give Deep Cut the treasure (after using it to remove Fuzzy Ooze), they explain that their bandit activities were to give back to the people of the Splatlands, and never meant harm to the New Squidbeak Splatoon. They decide to become Marie's employees and the player's allies, and help them in defeating Mr. Grizz. Shiver briefly lends her pet shark Master Mega to Agent 3 to help boost them into outer space.
- Main article: The Pursuit of the Precious
Shiver is the third boss of the single-player campaign, Return of the Mammalians, and the second Deep Cut boss. Her boss kettle is found on the Landfill Dreamland Site.
When Shiver was first revealed in the Splatoon 3 Direct, neither the presentation nor any promotional material in English and some other languages alluded to Shiver's gender, which resulted in speculation in part of the community about Shiver's gender and the possibility of her being non-binary or ambiguously gendered. However, Nintendo of America executives were interviewed about Shiver's gender and confirmed that she identifies herself as female and is referred to using the pronouns "she" and "her" in-game. In dialogue in the final game, she is effectively referred to with female pronouns.
The Japanese text did not have Shiver use any common first-person pronouns that traditionally connote gender (such as atashi or boku). In the Direct, Shiver used the pronouns "uchi" (an informal pronoun usually used by younger women, especially in Kansai dialects) and "onore" (an archaic pronoun used poetically meaning "oneself" or "yourself"). In game, "onore" was used only in one occasion, in which Shiver talks about a general "oneself", rather than using the pronoun for herself. These pronouns may be portraying Shiver's Kansai dialect through the use of yakuwarigo ("role language").
Most official social media posts referring to Shiver also made no mention of her gender, except for one Nintendo Portugal message that used "pela", implying Shiver to be female. In contrast, Shiver's bandmates Big Man and Frye at reveal were referred to with terms connoting male and female grammatical gender. This resulted in speculation about Shiver's gender and the possibility of her being non-binary or ambiguously gendered. However, official sources such as interviews with Nintendo of America executives and the media's preview game access soon clarified that Shiver is female and is referred to using the pronouns "she" and "her" in-game.
- See also: Deep Cut
|Fictional Band||Song Name||Audio|
|Anarchy Poisons (Bird Mix)|
- For Tableturf Battle quotes, see List of Tableturf Battle rivals in Splatoon 3#Quotes.
- For quotes for securing the Ultra Signal, see Ultra Signal#Deep Cut Call.
|➤ View the gallery|
- In Japanese, Shiver behaves and speaks like a Kamigata (Kyoto) rakugoka, a traditional Japanese comic storyteller who specializes in expressing stories with the wave of fan and the tilting of the head. In line with Splatsville's chaotic nature and Deep Cut's music style, Kamigata rakugo is known for its usage of musical performance and less "refined" style compared to Edo (Tokyo) rakugo. As such, Shiver speaks with a very pronounced Kyoto variant of Kansai dialect, including referring to her Splatfest team with the second-person pronoun あんさんら ansanra, using the idiom おきばりやす okibariyasu ("Hang in there!"), using the copula どす dosu instead of です desu, using 何いうてはん nani iute-han ("What are you saying?"), including many other examples.
- In Splatoon 3's Sunken Scroll 10, it is revealed that Shiver is a descendant from a line of shark tamers, much like how Frye is likely descended from the Onaga clan in Sunken Scroll 11. The scroll depicts an Octoling with an extremely similar appearance to Shiver. A family tree can be seen on the left side of the scroll, and implies that Shiver is the youngest heir to her clan, in contrast to Frye and Big Man who are implied to be the oldest heirs to their respective clans.
- Shiver is described to have a singing style reminiscent of traditional Japanese tastes, as performed by her voice actress (Anna Sato) who has a background in Japanese folk music. More specifically, her voice actress sings Amami folk songs. Shiver has been known to even include kakegoe, a style of traditional shouting, during live performances.
- The hachimaki headband Shiver wears resembles the Traditional Headband and the Twisty Headband, pieces of headgear.
- On Shiver's in-game model, the position of her teeth change depending on her facial expressions. While just barely visible, in her Tableturf card icon, Shiver appears to have been given symmetrical teeth typical of Inklings. However, her concert model and renders depict her with asymmetrical teeth similar to the playable Octolings, although they are mirrored.
- Curiously, during the first half of the Gear vs. Grub vs. Fun Splatfest, Shiver's fingers were the only accent color to change; her octopus charm tassels and shoes turned yellow only after the halftime report.
- While most media depicts Shiver using her right hand dominantly, such as holding her fan with her right hand, the official artwork for the Spicy vs. Sweet vs. Sour Splatfest depicts Shiver holding chopsticks in her left hand. This may imply her to be ambidextrous. She shares this trait with Marie.
- In the trailer presenting Fresh Season 2023's Big Run, Shiver states that she is an artist.
- Shiver's hobby is counting money.
- Shiver's Tableturf Battle Deck implies that she prefers to use Stringers, as it has both the Tri-Stringer and the REEF-LUX 450.
- In The Art of Splatoon 3, an early concept design of Shiver was noted as being 24 years old.
"Shivering" refers to the reaction of shaking in response to cold or fear, in contrast to Frye's name, which suggests heat and warmth. A "shiver" is also one of the collective terms for a group of sharks.
Fūka is a common Japanese female given name, usually written with kanji 風花 (wind-flower) or 風香 (wind-scent). It is also a pun on 鱶 fuka (with a short u), the Japanese word for "shark". This relates to Shiver being descended from a lineage of shark trainers.
Names in other languages
|Japanese||頬白 楓火 (ホホジロ フウカ)
|Last name: Japanese for great white shark.|
First name: Pun on 鱶 fuka (Japanese for shark) and the female given name Fūka.
|Dutch||Haya||From the female given name Haya, resembling haai ("shark").|
|French||Pasquale||From the female given name Pascale + squale (shark of the Squalidae family).[note 1]|
|German||Mako||Derived from makohai ("mako shark").|
|Italian||Pinnuccia||From Pinuccia, diminutive of the female given name Giuseppina + Pinna, or fin. May also be a reference to the Pinna genus of molluscs.|
|Derived from акула akula ("shark").|
|Spanish||Megan||Female given name, likely derived from megalodon, a prehistoric shark species known for its large size.|
|From 鲨鱼; pinyin: shā yú, Chinese for "shark". While Shiver's name uses a different character, it has the same tone as the first character from "shark". The name can also be translated to "Sasha" or "Sasa".|
|From 鯊魚; pinyin: shā yú, Chinese for "shark". While Shiver's name uses a different character, it has the same tone as the first character from "shark". The name can also be translated to "Sasha" or "Sasa".|
|Transcription of the Japanese name.|
|Portuguese||Shiver||Same as English.|
|Internal||IdolA||Being the first of the 3 idols and representing Team Alpha during Splatfest.|
Introduction in other languages
Issai gassai kuiarasu! Sametsukai no Fūka!
|I'll eat you up without leaving leftovers! I'm shark trainer Shiver!|
|Dutch||Aan de top van de voedselketen...
Haya, heldhaftig en gehaaid!
|At the top of the food chain...|
Shiver, heroic and cunning!
|French||Fais pas le marsouin avec moi...
Ou t'auras affaire à Pasquale!
|Don't go porpoise with me...|
Or you'll have to deal with Shiver!
|German||Und ich setze der Spitze der Nahrungskette noch einen drauf...
Nennt mich Mako!
|And I add to the top of the food chain...|
Call me Shiver!
|Italian||Gli squali diventano gamberetti quando vedono me.
Puoi chiamarmi Pinnuccia!
|Sharks become shrimps when they see me.|
You can call me Shiver!
|Russian||Сами акулы называют меня сверххищником...
Но вы можете звать меня Куллой.
Sami akuly nazyvayut menya sverkhkhishchnikom...
No vy mojete zvat' menya Kulloy.
|The sharks themselves call me the apex predator...|
But you can call me Shiver.
|Spanish (NOA)||A mí los depredadores acuáticos me respetan.
|Aquatic predators respect me.|
|Spanish (NOE)||Los depredadores acuáticos tiemblan cuando oyen mi nombre.
¡Puedes Ilamarme Megan!
|Aquatic predators tremble when they hear my name.|
You can call me Shiver!
Jiāng yīqiè dōu shōurù nángzhōng！
Wǒshì shāyú cāozuò zhě shā shā！
|All [treasure] will soon find its way into my purse!|
I am Shark operator Shiver!
Shā qì téngténg de shāyú cāo zuòzhě!
Jiāng yīqiè kěnyǎo dàijìn de shāshā shì yě!
|The lethal Shark operator! |
I am Shiver who devours everything in sight!
|Korean||인정사정없는 최상위 포식자!
상어 조련사 후우카!
Injeongsajeong-eomneun choesangwi posikja!
Sangeo joryeonsa Huuka!
|I'm like a merciless apex predator!|
I'm shark trainer Shiver!
|Portuguese||Acham-se o máximo? Os predadores aquáticos tremem só de ouvir o meu nome!
Mas podem chamar-me Shiver!
|You think you guys are the best? Aquatic predators tremble just from hearing my name!|
But you can call me Shiver!
The Cold-Blooded Bandit
|Shark trainer (lit. "user")|
|Dutch||Roofdier onder de roofdieren||Predator among the predators|
|French (NOE)||Le génie du squale[note 2]||The shark genius|
|German||Sahnehäubchen auf der Spitze der Nahrungskette||Icing on the top of the food chain|
|Italian||Preda il predatore||Preys on the predator|
|Russian||Сверххищница хитовых топов
Sverkhkhishchnitsa hitovykh topov
|Apex predator of hit tops|
|Spanish||Depreda a superdepredadores||Preys on apex predators|
Shāyú cāozuò zhě
Shāyú cāozuò zhě
- ↑ Splatoon 3 – Deep Cut & Damp Socks feat. Off the Hook [In the Studio] – Nintendo Switch
- ↑ Info about Deep Cut from the Splatoon 3 Art Book, translated by @rassicas
- ↑ Splatoon 3's Sunken Scroll 10
- ↑ Interview: Shiver, Frye, and Big Man of Deep Cut will steal your heart from Nintendo
- ↑ Splatoon 3 Album Booklet Translations by @Fia_Dot_EXE, with assistance from @Fleromor and @rassicas.
- ↑ The Verge query to NoA SVP Nate Bihldorff
- ↑ GameXplain hands-on preview video
GameXplain video on new details revealed in-game
- ↑ Splatoon 3 Direct (JP) "ウチが背中押したるさかい、おきばりやす~！"
- ↑ Splatoon 3 Direct (JP) "おのれの魂をコブシに宿し、天につき出すその姿…"
- ↑ Nintendo Portugal on Twitter "Os Deep Cut, compostos pela Shiver, a Frye e o Big Man". Italics added for emphasis.
- ↑ The Verge query to NoA SVP Nate Bihldorff
- ↑ GameXplain hands-on preview video
GameXplain video on new details revealed in-game
- ↑ Ask the Developer Vol. 7, Splatoon 3
- ↑ スプラトゥーン3 - CHAPTER3 誰かがいる、という感覚 - 任天堂 (Japanese version of developer interview)
- ↑ Animal Crossing + Splatoon - Live Concert at Nintendo Live 2022
- ↑ @WhitchesThimble on Twitter
- ↑ 17.0 17.1 17.2 Info about Deep Cut, Art of Splatoon 3 translated by rassicas
- ↑ @SplatoonJP on Twitter
- ↑ Leanny on GitHub
- ↑ Splatoon 3 Direct (JP)
- ↑ Splatoon 3 Direct (NL)
- ↑ Splatoon 3 Direct (FR)
- ↑ Splatoon 3 Direct (DE)
- ↑ Splatoon 3 Direct (IT)
- ↑ Splatoon 3 Direct (ES)
- ↑ Splatoon 3 Direct (PT)
- ↑ In the Japanese version, Frye is the one to propose this.