|“||You think you're cool? Sharks call ME cold-blooded. But you can call me Shiver!||”|
— Shiver introducing herself in Return of the Mammalians
Shiver is a character in Splatoon 3 and one of the three members of the band Deep Cut, alongside Frye and Big Man, with whom she co-hosts both Anarchy Splatcast, the news show of Splatsville, and Splatfests. She is also the third reachable boss of Return of the Mammalians. Her signature color is blue.
Her voice actress is currently unknown.
Shiver is an Octoling with pale skin and a wide, oval-shaped face, with slender eyes under sharp blue triangle eyebrows. Her irises are red, with light red pupils in the shape of an infinity symbol, similar to Marina's pupils, (and matching octopuses in real life). Her Octoling eye mask is thin and sharp, almost appearing to be cat-eyeliner makeup, with red eye shadow blended underneath.
Shiver's tentacles are shoulder length, with the left side styled over her face, hiding her left eye from view. Her tentacles have a slight gradient from a light blue to navy blue, and are curled upwards slightly at the ends. In addition to the eye makeup, Shiver also appears to be wearing a light red lip gloss.
Shiver has a cool, yet rebellious sense of fashion, with a clear root in traditional Japanese culture. She wears a white sarashi chest wrap, under a long purple shawl made from a shiny translucent material. Attached to the left side of the shawl is a large silver octopus charm with two red tassels tied through holes in the ornament. On her legs are low-cut black leggings decorated with two slashes on her right thigh, resembling shark gills. She wears black tabi-like shoes with red wedge heels. Additionally, Shiver's fingertips are dyed a bright red color. Her right ear is pierced with three shark tooth-shaped earrings. On the back of her head, circling a large suction cup on one of her tentacles, is a length of white twisted cloth tied in a knot; not unlike the traditional Japanese hachimaki headband. Hachimaki have a variety of styles, and the one worn by Shiver in particular is a common sight during certain Japanese festivals.
During the Anarchy Splatcast and Splatfest performances, Shiver can be seen holding a white sensu fan, painted with her family crest in blue which many think the bottom half resembles the marbling of fat in salmon. In Alterna, she also wears a shark mask, which takes inspiration from Japanese kitsune masks with it's characteristic red and white design.
During Splatfests, any part of Shiver's appearance that is normally blue changes to match the color of her Splatfest team, with the exception of her fingertips, her tongue, her wedge heels, and her octopus charm tassels; which are instead painted with a color directly opposite of her Splatfest team.
Return of the Mammalians
Shiver and the rest of Deep Cut are initially hostile to Agent 3 and the New Squidbeak Splatoon, declaring that all treasure in Alterna is theirs to plunder and that they will not let anyone else have it. Later, when the New Squidbeak Splatoon team agrees to give Deep Cut the treasure (after using it to remove Fuzzy Ooze), they decide to become the player's ally and help them in defeating Mr. Grizz. Shiver briefly lends her pet shark Master Mega to the player, to help give them boost into outer space.
- Main article: The Pursuit of the Precious.
When Shiver was first revealed in the Splatoon 3 Direct, neither the presentation nor any promotional material (such as the announcement dialogue for the Splatoon 3 Splatfest World Premiere and references to Deep Cut on the official website) specifically referred to Shiver's gender. This was consistent across all languages, and dialogue in languages that are heavily gendered (French, Italian, and Spanish) did not refer to Shiver in ways that would require inflecting adjectives or verbs for gender. This did not apply to Shiver's bandmates Frye and Big Man, who were referred to explicitly as female and male, respectively.
When referring to herself, Shiver's dialogue used plural forms, as part of the group, or used the passive voice. The Japanese text did not have Shiver use any common first-person pronouns that traditionally connote gender (such as atashi or boku). In the Direct, Shiver used the pronouns "uchi" (an informal pronoun usually used by younger women, especially in Kansai dialects) and "onore" (an archaic pronoun used poetically meaning "oneself" or "yourself"). In game, "onore" was used only in one occasion, in which Shiver talks about a general "oneself", rather than using the pronoun for herself. These pronouns may be portraying Shiver's Kansai dialect through the use of yakuwarigo ("role language"). Most official social media posts referring to Shiver also made no mention of her gender, except for one Nintendo Portugal message that used "pela", implying Shiver to be female.
In contrast, Shiver's bandmates Big Man and Frye at reveal were referred to with terms connoting male and female grammatical gender. For example, Frye introduces herself in French as "the queen of eels", Spanish as the "[female] marine choreographer", and she uses a feminine definite article in her Portuguese introduction.
This resulted in speculation about Shiver's gender and the possibility of her being non-binary or ambiguously gendered. However, official sources such as interviews with Nintendo of America executives and the media's preview game access soon clarified that Shiver is female and is referred to using the pronouns "she" and "her" in-game.
Shiver chatting between takes on the set of Anarchy Splatcast.
Shiver performing on stage for a Splatfest.
Sunken Scroll 10, featuring a character greatly resembling Shiver.
Shiver's Japanese name in hiragana on a senjafuda.
Unofficial render of Shiver's game model on The Models Resource.
- In Japanese, Shiver behaves and speaks like a Kamigata (Kyoto) rakugoka, a traditional Japanese comic storyteller who specializes in expressing stories with the wave of fan and the tilting of the head. In line with Splatsville's chaotic nature and Deep Cut's music style, Kamigata rakugo is known for its usage of musical performance and less "refined" style compared to Edo (Tokyo) rakugo. As such, Shiver speaks with a very pronounced Kyoto variant of Kansai dialect, including referring to her Splatfest team with the second-person pronoun あんさんら ansanra, using the idiom おきばりやす okibariyasu ("Hang in there!"), using the copula どす dosu instead of です desu, using 何いうてはん nani iute-han ("What are you saying?"), including many other examples.
- In Splatoon 3's Sunken Scroll 10, it is revealed that Shiver is a descendant from a line of shark tamers, much like how Frye is likely descended from the Onaga clan in Sunken Scroll 11. The scroll depicts an Octoling with an extremely similar appearance to Shiver. A family tree can be seen on the left side of the scroll, and implies that Shiver is the youngest member of her clan, in contrast to Frye and Big Man who are implied to be the oldest of their respective clans.
- Additionally, Shiver's clan is the only one that has yet to be officially named.
- Shiver is described to have a singing style reminiscent of traditional Japanese tastes, as performed by her voice actress (still unnamed) who has a background in Japanese folk music. More specifically, her voice actress sings Amami folk songs. Shiver has been known to even include kakegoe, a style of traditional shouting, during live performances.
- The hachimaki headband Shiver wears resembles the Traditional Headband and the Twisty Headband, pieces of headgear.
- On Shiver's in-game model, the position of her teeth change depending on her facial expressions. While just barely visible, in her Tableturf card icon, Shiver appears to have been given symmetrical teeth typical of Inklings. However, her concert model and renders depict her with asymmetrical teeth similar to the playable Octolings, although they are mirrored.
- Curiously, during the first half of the Gear vs. Grub vs. Fun Splatfest, Shiver's fingers were the only accent color to change; her octopus charm tassels and shoes turned yellow only after the halftime report.
- While most media depicts Shiver using her right hand dominantly, such as holding her fan with her right hand, the official artwork for the Spicy vs. Sweet vs. Sour Splatfest depicts Shiver holding chopsticks in her left hand. This may imply her to be ambidextrous.
"Shivering" refers to the reaction of shaking in response to cold or fear, in contrast to Frye's name, which suggests heat and warmth. A "shiver" is also one of the collective terms for a group of sharks.
Fūka is a common Japanese female given name, usually written with kanji 風花 (wind-flower) or 風香 (wind-scent). It is also a pun on 鱶 fuka (with a short u), the Japanese word for "shark". This relates to Shiver being descended from a lineage of shark trainers.
Names in other languages
|From 鱶; romanji: fuka, Japanese for shark; and the female given name Fūka.|
|Dutch||Haya||From the female given name Haya, resembling haai ("shark").|
|French||Pasquale||From the female given name Pascale + squale (shark of the Squalidae family).[note 1]|
|German||Mako||Derived from makohai, or mako shark.|
|Italian||Pinnuccia||From Pinuccia, diminutive of the female given name Giuseppina + Pinna, or fin. May also be a reference to the Pinna genus of molluscs.|
|Derived from акула (akula), or shark.|
|Spanish||Megan||Female given name, likely derived from megalodon, a prehistoric shark species known for its large size.|
|From 鲨鱼; pinyin: shā yú, Chinese for "shark". While Shiver's name uses a different character, it has the same tone as the first character from "shark". The name can also be translated to "Sasha" or "Sasa".|
|From 鯊魚; pinyin: shā yú, Chinese for "shark". While Shiver's name uses a different character, it has the same tone as the first character from "shark". The name can also be translated to "Sasha" or "Sasa".|
|Transcription of the Japanese name.|
|Portuguese||Shiver||Same as English.|
|Internal||IdolA||Being the first of the 3 idols and representing Team Alpha during Splatfest.|
Introduction in other languages
Issai gassai kuiarasu! Sametsukai no Fūka!
|I'll eat you up without leaving leftovers! I'm shark trainer Shiver!|
|Dutch||Aan de top van de voedselketen...
Haya, heldhaftig en gehaaid!
|At the top of the food chain...|
Shiver, heroic and cunning!
|French||Fais pas le marsouin avec moi...
Ou t'auras affaire à Pasquale!
|Don't go porpoise with me...|
Or you'll have to deal with Shiver!
|German||Und ich setze der Spitze der Nahrungskette noch einen drauf...
Nennt mich Mako!
|And I add to the top of the food chain...|
Call me Shiver!
|Italian||Gli squali diventano gamberetti quando vedono me.
Puoi chiamarmi Pinnuccia!
|Sharks become shrimps when they see me.|
You can call me Shiver!
|Russian||Сами акулы называют меня сверххищником...
Но вы можете звать меня Куллой.
Sami akuly nazyvayut menya sverkhkhishchnikom...
No vy mojete zvat' menya Kulloy.
|The sharks themselves call me the apex predator...|
But you can call me Shiver.
|Spanish (NOA)||A mí los depredadores acuáticos me respetan.
|Aquatic predators respect me.|
|Spanish (NOE)||Los depredadores acuáticos tiemblan cuando oyen mi nombre.
¡Puedes Ilamarme Megan!
|Aquatic predators tremble when they hear my name.|
You can call me Shiver!
Jiāng yīqiè dōu shōurù nángzhōng！
Wǒshì shāyú cāozuò zhě shā shā！
|All [treasure] will soon find its way into my purse!|
I am Shark operator Shiver!
Shā qì téngténg de shāyú cāo zuòzhě!
Jiāng yīqiè kěnyǎo dàijìn de shāshā shì yě!
|The lethal Shark operator! |
I am Shiver who devours everything in sight!
|Korean||인정사정없는 최상위 포식자!
상어 조련사 후우카!
Injeongsajeong-eomneun choesangwi posikja!
Sangeo joryeonsa Huuka!
|I'm like a merciless apex predator!|
I'm shark trainer Shiver!
|Portuguese||Acham-se o máximo? Os predadores aquáticos tremem só de ouvir o meu nome!
Mas podem chamar-me Shiver!
|You think you guys are the best? Aquatic predators tremble just from hearing my name!|
But you can call me Shiver!
The Cold-Blooded Bandit
Add name in French (NOA) or merge both French localizations if the same name is used.
|Shark trainer (lit. "user")|
|Dutch||Roofdier onder de roofdieren||Predator among the predators|
|French (NOE)||Le génie du squale[note 2]||The shark genius|
|German||Sahnehäubchen auf der Spitze der Nahrungskette||Icing on the top of the food chain|
|Italian||Preda il predatore||Preys on the predator|
|Russian||Сверххищница хитовых топов
Sverkhkhishchnitsa hitovykh topov
|Apex predator of hit tops|
|Spanish||Depreda a superdepredadores||Preys on apex predators|
Shāyú cāozuò zhě
Shāyú cāozuò zhě
- "Pascal" also exists as a male name.
- A pun on génie du mal, meaning "evil mastermind".
- Splatoon 3 Direct (JP) "ウチが背中押したるさかい、おきばりやす~！"
- Splatoon 3 Direct (JP) "おのれの魂をコブシに宿し、天につき出すその姿…"
- Nintendo Portugal on Twitter "Os Deep Cut, compostos pela Shiver, a Frye e o Big Man". Italics added for emphasis.
- Splatoon 3 Direct (FR) "C'est moi, la reine des murènes... Angie !"
- Splatoon 3 Direct (ES) "Empezaré presentandome yo. Soy Angie... ¡coreógrafa marina!"
- Splatoon 3 Direct (PT) "Começarei por apresentar-me. Sou a Frye!"
- The Verge query to NoA SVP Nate Bihldorff
- GameXplain hands-on preview video
GameXplain video on new details revealed in-game
- Ask the Developer Vol. 7, Splatoon 3
- スプラトゥーン3 - CHAPTER3 誰かがいる、という感覚 - 任天堂 (Japanese version of developer interview)
- Animal Crossing + Splatoon - Live Concert at Nintendo Live 2022
- @WhitchesThimble on Twitter
- @SplatoonJP on Twitter
- Leanny on GitHub
- Splatoon 3 Direct (JP)
- Splatoon 3 Direct (NL)
- Splatoon 3 Direct (FR)
- Splatoon 3 Direct (DE)
- Splatoon 3 Direct (IT)
- Splatoon 3 Direct (ES)
- Splatoon 3 Direct (PT)