|This article or section needs more images!|
You can help the wiki by to keep it looking fresh!
Animals are a type of minor creature in the Splatoon series. They are distinguished from other species by the fact that they seem to have undergone little to no changes compared to their ancestors. This is in contrast to intelligent, human-like creatures such as Inklings and Octarians, which have changed dramatically.
Sparrows are a common animal in both Splatoon and Splatoon 2. They appear very similar to Eurasian tree sparrows but are much more round. This may be because of fatness, thick feathers, or simply stylization.
They sit chirping and looking around at various locations, and immediately take off into the air if the player approaches or attempts to ink them. If the player moves a sufficient distance away and has their camera turned away from where the sparrows were, they will return to the same spot and resume chirping.
Callie apparently finds sparrows very cute, she mentions one's appearance near Cuttlefish Cabin in Octo Canyon. This is possibly the only in-game confirmation of them being sparrows compared to other types of birds.
- One sparrow perches on the first small pole to the east of the Arcade Machine.
- A sparrow sits among the plants at the southern edge of the Plaza.
- Just south of Judd, a sparrow sits on the ground next to a railing.
- A pair of sparrows sit on the ground in front of Spyke.
- A lone sparrow perches above the middle part of the Shooting Range.
- Two pairs of sparrows sit near each spawn point in Flounder Heights.
- Sparrows usually sit around the trees and grass areas of Urchin Underpass. There is also a lone sparrow on a power line near the spawn point.
- A sparrow perches on the edge of the roof of Cap'n Cuttlefish's shack.
- Two sparrows sit on the corner of a wall next to DJ Octavio's snowglobe.
- Two sparrows perch on a small railing on the edge of a grated walkway, next to the Kettle for Lair of the Octoballs.
- Sparrows can also be found in various missions, such as Floating Sponge Garden and Flooder Junkyard. It is unknown how they get into the Octarians' underground caves, as it is unlikely that they can enter Kettles.
A sparrow among the plants at Inkopolis Plaza.
Two sparrows next to Spyke.
The sparrow above the Shooting Range.
A sparrow near Cap'n Cuttlefish.
Two sparrows at Flounder Heights.
A sparrow on a power line at Urchin Underpass.
Four sparrows in an Octo Valley mission.
Gulls are found near bodies of water, gliding in large circles in the air, usually in small groups. They appear to be some type of herring gull.
They do not react to the player's presence, but upon being hit by ink, they flap their wings and squawk. This is mentioned by Callie in regards to Saltspray Rig, stating she feels bad for them when they get inked. On the same stage, Marie remarks that "seagulls are natural predators of squid", but there are no gulls in the series that act aggressively towards Inklings.
- A small group of gulls flies around the Inkrail from Area 3 to Area 4.
- A group of gulls flies in a "V" formation around the outside of Kelp Dome, seen through the windows.
- Individual gulls are found flying at both Saltspray Rig and Hammerhead Bridge.
A gull at Hammerhead Bridge.
The group of gulls outside Kelp Dome.
Two gulls in the background at Saltspray Rig.
Promo for Zink, with a gull at the upper right.
Butterflies are always seen flying about in groups. They can be white or yellow and do not make noise nor react to the player's presence. They are always found near vegetation.
Butterfly groups stay in a fixed area, but the individuals flying around within them are always changing; some disappear and others appear to take their place. The number of butterflies within a group at any given time is also not fixed and can range from one to six depending on the location.
- Many butterflies are found among the plants at the southern edge of the Plaza.
- Some butterflies fly around under the western-most tree in Area 2.
- A small group of butterflies is found at the patch of grass on each of the central areas of Bluefin Depot.
While nudibranchs themselves are not present in Splatoon, they are featured in many pieces of art at Museum d'Alfonsino. No two shown are exactly alike, but they share two common features, the first being a pair of large appendages similar to rabbit or dog ears. While real-life nudibranchs do have these (called rhinophores), they are often smaller and almost always thinner, looking more like horns or eyestalks than ears. Their other common feature is their eyes; while real nudibranchs have small, very simple eyes, all nudibranchs depicted in Splatoon have large eyes similar to those of jellyfish. However, both of these traits may be a result of artistic license; the other artwork in the museum is already quite stylized.
One piece of art shows an Inkling-like creature with a nudibranch on a leash, suggesting that they are kept as pets. In Inkopolis Square, there is a missing poster for a nudibranch, similar to the style of a missing pet poster.
Cicadas are not seen, but heard singing in the background. They are present during the day and only at Flounder Heights.
Crickets, like cicadas, cannot be seen but are heard singing in the background.
- During Splatfests, which take place at night, crickets replace cicadas at Flounder Heights.
- At Camp Triggerfish, crickets can be briefly heard when the player spawns.
Ducks, likely mallards, appear in Splatoon 2, only at Snapper Canal. On each side of the stage, to the right of the spawn point, eight ducklings can be seen following what appears to be a male adult, indicated by its bright green neck feathers. If the player is close enough, quacking sounds can be heard. The ducks do not react to their presence.
Pigeons, appearing in Splatoon 2, are visually similar to rock doves. They are found sitting or standing in various urban areas, and sometimes look around or peck the ground. Every few seconds, pigeons alternate between having their feathers fluffed up and having them close to their body, making them appear to change in size.
They immediately take off into the air if the player approaches or attempts to ink them. If the player moves a sufficient distance away and has their camera turned away from where the pigeons were, they will return to the same spot.
- At Inkblot Art Academy, there is a pair on the ground next to the tree-like sculpture in front of each spawn point.
- In The Reef, there are two pigeons on the ledge below the spawn point, and two more on the ledge below that.