The Splash Wall forms a temporary barrier of falling ink, preventing enemy fire from passing through. Opponents will instantly get splattered if they attempt to walk through the Splash Wall, but the player who spawned it and their teammates will have no effect. These players will also be able to shoot through the wall. A similar weapon is also used by the Octarians in Octo Valley.
|“||This defensive wall rains down ink, blocking enemy movement and incoming ink. However, you can still shoot through your team’s Splash Walls, making them an absolute game changer during duels, particularly in tight chokepoints. The Splash Wall is powered by its own integrated ink tank, visible along the center vertical pole. The ink level drops the longer the Splash Wall has been deployed—it takes approximately seven seconds for a Splash Wall to fully consume its ink. As enemy ink strikes the wall, the ink within the tank is depleted at a faster rate.||”|
— Splatoon Prima Guide
- Be cautious if you wish to advance past your Splash Wall, the Splash Wall will cause Splat Bombs or Suction Bombs to explode immediately which can be disastrous if you are on the same side the bomb is thrown.
- A tactic for the Splash Wall in Splatoon is to place it down right in front of the tower in Tower Control. The tower goes through the wall but the wall will force the enemies to get off the tower and your team can reclaim it. In Splatoon 2, however, the tower will destroy the Splash Wall on contact.
- When the Splash Wall is shot by enemy ink, the time remaining until it despawns begins depleting faster. Remaining time can be viewed in an ink-filled tube in the middle of the weapon.
Ink Management In-depth
After deploying a Splash Wall, there is a 2.67 second delay before ink can be refilled again. This refill penalty and the 60% ink consumed by the wall make it necessary to use ink management abilities. To keep up the pressure on opponents by firing for longer periods, a combination of the Ink Saver (Main) and Ink Saver (Sub) abilities is needed. The charts below show that while Ink Saver (Main) has a greater impact, it is still optimal to use both abilities. The ink refill penalty makes Ink Recovery Up less useful, so Ink Saver abilities should be prioritized over Ink Recovery Up.
- — Correct the amount of damage done by bombs when they are thrown against the Splash Wall.
- ▲ When standing behind a Splash Wall, players will no longer receive damage when hit by a bomb.
- ▼ Lowered the resistance against opponent attacks by about 40%.
- ▼ Increased the amount of time required to begin recharging the ink after throwing this weapon: 1.33 seconds → 2.67 seconds
- ▼ Even if the Splash Wall is used on a slope, so that it hits the ground immediately, it will still take as long to activate as when it is used on flat ground.
- The Splash Wall was originally called "Ink Shield", as seen in an image from before Splatoon's release.
- The Splash Wall has the most damage/second of any weapon in the game, at 50/tick
- In the Shooting Range, when the player throws a Splash Wall at the large balloon targets, it will instantly pop them. The damage count will conclude "500.0"
An Inkling approaching a Splash Wall.
Concept art of various Sub Weapons, with the Splash Wall at the lower right.
- ▲ Decreased time until deployment after throwing out the Splash Wall by 0.5 seconds.
- — Fixed an issue occasionally allowing opposing players standing behind a Splash Wall to be splatted when a bomb hit the edge of the wall.
- ▲ Decreased time after using before ink recovery begins by roughly 1 second.
- ▲ Now possible to create a wall when a wall the player created already exists in the stage. Creating a new wall will cause the older one to disappear.
- ▲ Decreased least amount of time for wall to open after being placed by roughly 15/60 of a second.
- This change decreases the time until the wall opens when creating a wall on either flat ground or facing a downward slope by roughly 15/60 of a second.
- When creating a wall while facing an upward slope or other condition that causes the wall to be placed immediately, there will be no change in how quickly the wall opens.
Names in other languages
|French||Mur d'encre||Ink Wall|
|Italian||Muro di colore||Wall of Color|
|Spanish (NOE)||Telón de Tinta||Ink Curtain|