Splatoon is a manga series available through the CoroCoro Comic magazines, made by Sankichi Hinodeya. It is also sold in volumes usually containing 4 chapters, a bonus story (which is sometimes replaced by an additional chapter), and an Inkling almanac. The volumes are translated into English by VIZ Media and have also received translations into Spanish, French, and German.
- Main article: List of Splatoon manga chapters
CoroCoro Cup arc
Most plots in the CoroCoro Cup arc focus primarily on the Blue Team, a team of idiotic Inklings who, for whatever reason, compete in Turf Wars. It contains eight chapters. This arc introduces Rider and Team Yellow-Green in Chapter 1, Army and Team Orange in Chapter 2, Team Green in Chapter 3, Aloha and Team Pink in Chapter 4, Mask and Team Cyan in Chapter 5, Skull and Team Purple in Chapters 5 and 7, as well as Team Yellow and Team Dark Green or "The Blaster Brothers" in bonus manga Chapters 0 and 4.5.
Square King Cup arc
Similarly to the first Splatoon era's Corocoro Cup arc, the Splatoon 2 era's Square King Cup arc focuses on the Blue Team on a tournament, specifically the Square King Cup. They take on many teams, with the biggest obstacle being Team Emperor, a team that is considered a god-like team. It contains thirteen chapters.
The Octo arc is an arc that is based on the Octo Expansion DLC from Splatoon 2. Goggles finds himself lost in Deepsea Metro and has to find his way out alongside Eight, who is Agent 8, an Octoling with amnesia. Goggles meets up with his other teammates along the way. It contains five chapters. The first chapter of this was released in the July 2018 issue.
Square King Ranked Cup arc
The Square King Ranked Cup arc focuses on another tournament on Inkopolis Square that functions similar to the original Square King Cup with some elements retained from said arc such as Crusty Sean's shop being destroyed again but with other twists, such as Emperor joining Team Blue to replace Specs (who is unable to participate due to stings from bees), and past supporting teams returning. The newest obstacle to overcome is Team X-Blood, which consists of Rank X Inklings. Ranked Battles are to be expected instead of Turf Wars. The first chapter of this, Chapter 32, was released on February 15, 2019. It contains 14 chapters.
- Main article: List of Splatoon manga chapters
|28 July 2016 (JP)
19 September 2017 (SPA)
4 October 2017 (FR)
12 December 2017 (ENG)
30 May 2018 (GER)
|The Turf Wars have started in Inkopolis, and the team that inks the most ground will be crowned the winner! Goggles and Team Blue are ranked lower than their competitors. But with some teamwork and a touch of creativity, they might just leave their mark on this tournament!||0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 4.1 Inkling Almanac|
|27 January 2017 (JP)
26 January 2018 (SPA)
7 March 2018 (FR)
13 March 2018 (ENG)
31 July 2018 (GER)
|Team Blue has garnered attention after impressive showings against some of the most elite Inkling teams. But it'll only get harder from here! With the S4 Inklings aiming to bring down Goggles and his friends, the team must continue to find ways to improve, even if it means asking for help from the unlikeliest of sources!||4.5, 5, 6, 7, 7.5 (Bonus), 7.6 Inkling Almanac|
|23 July 2017 (JP)
25 May 2018 (SPA)
12 June 2018 (ENG)
4 July 2018 (FR)
30 October 2018 (GER)
|Ink still fresh from their victories against the S4, Team Blue's Inklings find themselves in even more trouble! Goggles and Rider must stop an evil subterranean plot, and a new Inkling joins the team. New weapons, new foes, and new friends enter the splatfield as Team Blue prepares for its toughest challenge yet: the Square King Cup!||8, 9, 10, 11, 11.5 (Bonus), 11.6 Inkling Almanac|
|27 October 2017 (JP)
11 September 2018 (ENG)
14 November 2018 (FR)
5 December 2018 (SPA)
29 January 2019 (GER)
|The preliminary rounds have come to a close! As the Inklings gear up for the main round of the Square King Cup, they must prepare for all kinds of teams that are way stronger than they are - and maybe even have to battle the undisputed champion - the player known as Emperor!||12, 13, 14, 15, 15.5 (Bonus), 15.6 Inkling Almanac|
|28 February 2018 (JP)
11 December 2018 (ENG)
6 March 2019 (FR)
30 April 2019 (GER)
23 August 2019 (SPA)
|It's the Square King Cup Semifinals! Rider's Team Yellow-Green takes on the team of the undisputed champion, Emperor. Then, Team Blue battles Team Gloves! Who will make it to the final match? Plus, a bonus story featuring the very first Team Blue meeting!||16, 17, 18, 19, 19.5 (Bonus)|
|27 July 2018 (JP)
11 June 2019 (ENG)
3 July 2019 (FR)
27 August 2019 (GER)
24 January 2020 (SPA)
|The match between Team Blue and Team Emperor heats up toward the big finale - with both sides exhausted and losing ground! Plus, in the aftermath of the final match, a new enemy awaits who will require the tournament rivals to work together!||20, 21, 22, 23, 23.5 (Bonus), 23.6 Inkling Almanac|
|28 November 2018 (JP)
10 September 2019 (ENG)
6 November 2019 (FR)
28 January 2020 (GER)
27 August 2020 (SPA)
|Inside an underground facility connected to the Deepsea Metro subway system, Goggles and Team Blue must pass a series of tests to discover the four "thangs" that will open the door to a fabled Promised Land.||24, 25, 26, 27, 27.5 (Bonus), 27.6 Inkling Almanac|
|28 February 2019 (JP)
14 January 2020 (ENG)
11 March 2020 (FR)
30 June 2020 (GER)
13 November 2020 (SPA)
|It's time for the Splatfest, a Turf War where teams must split up and battle against one another! Team Blue is divided into a "Funny Man" team versus a "Straight Man" team. Who will face who? Plus, a bonus story featuring Splattershot Jr.!||28, 29, 30, 31, 31.5 (Bonus), 31.6 Inkling Almanac|
|28 June 2019 (JP)
12 May 2020 (ENG)
2 September 2020 (FR)
27 October 2020 (GER)
|You won't believe who has joined Team Blue to fill in for a missing teammate so they can compete in the Square King Ranked Battle Cup! Get ready for a whole new arc featuring some mixed-up new teams! Plus, a bonus story featuring Emperor!||32, 33, 34, 35, 35.5 (Bonus), 35.6 Inkling Almanac|
|28 October 2019 (JP)
8 September 2020 (ENG)
2 December 2020 (FR)
2 March 2021 (GER)
|Team Blue's next opponents in a game of Splat Zones are the Iromaki Rangers. Meanwhile, Team Gloves goes up against the superstrong X-Blood team! And waiting in the wings... the S4 is back! Plus, Marina herself draws a bonus manga for you!||36, 37, 38, 39, 39.5 (Bonus), 39.6 Inkling Almanac|
|27 March 2020 (JP)
12 January 2021 (ENG)
24 March 2021 (FR)
29 June 2021 (GER)
|The final match of the Ranked Battle Cup begins!! Find out what happens when Team Blueperor steps into the arena with their greatest opponents, the fierce X-Blood!||40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 44.5 Inkling Almanac|
|28 July 2020 (JP)
11 May 2021 (ENG)
|The final chapter of the Hero Mode arc is here! Find out how it ends for Specs and the gang. And then, a brand new story brings you further into the world of Splatoon. It's time to get to know Sheldon! His adventure starts right now!||45, 46, 47, 48, 48.5 (Bonus), 48.6 Inkling Almanac|
|26 November 2020 (JP)
14 September 2021 (ENG)
|The search for Sheldon's grandfather's hidden treasure continues. To complete their quest, Goggles will have to defeat the diabolical Justice Brain, who is proving to be a wily and worthy foe! Can Goggles triumph over Justice Brain, unlock the secret of Ammoses Shellendorf's treasure and advance to the Final Splatfest?!||49, 50, 51, 52, 52.5 (Bonus #1), 52.6 (Bonus #2), 52.7 Inkling Almanac|
|28 April 2021 (JP)|
- Main article: List of Splatoon manga characters
The main characters of the Splatoon manga are the four members of the Blue Team.
- Goggles, a C- rank male Inkling. He is the mascot of the manga. Goggles is quite naïve. In fact, it is mentioned in issue 4 that Goggles mixes toothpaste and wasabi. He sometimes never listens to anyone else except for Bobble Hat, showing that she and Goggles have a very special bond. He often pulls other Inklings' pants down, mainly to Rider, and often gets naked in public. He might not be able to hear well, which is why he sometimes ignores people.
- Specs, a C+ rank male Inkling. Specs can be a very anxious squid but tries to hide it as best as he can. He tries to flaunt his knowledge as much as he can, but sometimes he notices nobody is listening to him, which upsets him. He is the actual leader of the Blue Team, not Goggles.
- Headphones, a B- rank female Inkling. While acting as a big sister to the team despite them being the same age, Headphones is level-headed, except when Goggles is doing his usual idiotic things.
- Bobble Hat, a C rank female Inkling. Bobble Hat seems to enjoy Goggles' actions. Though she and her big smile show her innocence, Bobble Hat is pretty much always happy in the face of danger. Although she is always smiling, her eyebrows are seen to be angry and annoyed when beaten by Skull.
An animated series was released on YouTube on 11 August 2017.
The series was announced by Sankichi Hinodeya, the creator of the Splatoon manga, on her Twitter account.[Citation needed] It is in effect a colored and voiced-over version of the manga, with the occasional addition of animation in some sections. The episodes are available to be viewed on Corocoro's official Youtube channel, but are restricted to Japanense viewers.
The episodes are based on chapters 1 and 2 of the Splatoon manga.
- Rider (Episode 1)
- Army (Episode 2)
The Blue Team, S4 and Rider.
- The fan-made issue of the Splatoon manga was published in June's CoroCoro Special issue in 2015.
- In this issue, the main protagonists made their first appearance as unnamed characters.
- The same issue depicts the main protagonists in the outfits seen in promos of the video game.
- The first official issue was published in December 2015's CoroCoro Special issue.
- Some color combinations are depicted or mentioned that do not appear in Splatoon.
- Blue vs. Green. This combination does not exist in the game, but there is a similarly-colored Blue vs. Lime color match.
- Blue vs. Pink. This is supposed to be for the battle against Aloha, but there is a similarly-colored Turquoise vs. Pink match.
- Blue vs. Cyan. This is supposed to be for the battle against Mask.
- Blue vs. Purple. This is supposed to be for the battle against Skull.
- Yellow-Green vs. Orange. This was mentioned in Issue 2.
- Yellow-Green vs. Pink. This was mentioned in Issue 2.
- Yellow-Green vs. Cyan. This was mentioned in Issue 2. This color combination is not possible to be matched in the actual game, despite the blue vs. lime color match.
- Since the manga is published in the CoroCoro Magazine, it is child-friendly. However, there are some brief scenes of comical nudity in the comic. Furthermore, the manga is easy to read. The manga itself has a good dose of comedy and a nice representation of the Splatoon rules, world, and action.
- There was a Japanese Splatfest on 3 February 2018 with the theme "Champion vs. Challenger", which was represented by Emperor and Goggles respectively.
- Some characters are not named after a piece of their gear, such as Emperor, Prinz, the School Cardigan Team's members, and Team Eight.
- For the School Cardigan Team's case, they are named after their hairstyles, plus "School" at the beginning of their names. This is also the case for two of Team Eight's members, Afro and Ponytail, although without "School".
- Eight is named by Goggles. In Japanese, he is named Hachi, the term for "eight". Eight's nickname as Agent 8-Kun is named in the same way from his in-game counterpart, about him being identified as subject number 10,008 in his neon yellow bracelet on his wrist since he forgot his real name after losing his memory. Similarly, Seven is also named by Goggles and in Japanese, she is named Nana, which is the Japanese term for the word "Seven". After The Octo Arc, all members of Team Eight have their memories but were fond of Goggles' names, and therefore kept them.
- It was announced on 9 June 2018 that the Spy Gear will be coming to Splatoon 2 and is also connected to the Splatoon manga's Octo Expansion arc, implying that Goggles wears this gear set.
- Further announcement about the Spy Gear set had been revealed on 9 July 2018, with Specs, Headphones and Bobble all wearing it. It appears that their headgear will mostly be black versions of their default headgear. Also, Goggles is the only one whose shoes are not in the game yet, as Specs has Inky Kid Clams, Headphones has Punk Blacks and Bobble has Truffle Canvas Hi-Tops.
- However, Goggles' shoes with the Spy Gear resemble the Roasted Brogues.
- The July 2018 issue was released early on 16 June 2018 on the CoroCoro website. It was later disabled for viewing.
- Prerelease elements in the Splatoon manga
- List of tactics used by teams in the Splatoon manga
- Splatoon: Squid Kids Comedy Show, another manga published by CoroCoro Comic. This manga is based on Splatoon 2.
- Viz Media's website for the Splatoon manga
- Official English trailer for the manga
- Official video about Volume 1 and a speed-draw of Goggles-Kun in squid ink.