Nintendo Switch Pro Controller
This article or section discusses events, locations, or objects found in real life.
The Nintendo Switch Pro Controller is an optional accessory for the Switch that replaces the Wii U Pro Controller and has a very similar layout. It acts as a more conventional controller, and an alternative from the Joy-Con. It has the new layout of the Joy Cons, with the and positions swapped compared from the Wii U GamePad and Wii U Pro Controller, a proper , NFC reader for amiibo, motion controls and HD Rumble.
- Motion controls: By tilting the controller up, down, left, and right, players are able to change their character's view and aim.
- : Used primarily to move the player's Inkling or Octoling forward, backward, left, and right. Used to navigate menus.
- : Used for more precise aiming and controls which direction the player looks. Clicking it in activates the players special weapon.
- : Allows players to transform into a squid or octopus. In this form, Inklings are able to move faster through their own ink and jump farther.
- : Allows players to shoot ink using a variety of weapons. In Inkopolis Square, this button is used to zoom in on specific landmarks.
- : Allows players to use a variety of sub weapons. These have various effects which range from allowing teammates to Super Jump to one's current location at any time, to a robot that tracks and tries to splat nearby opponents.
- : Used to throw clams that the player is holding while playing Clam Blitz.
- : Used in menus to select specific actions and options and is also used to throw clams in Clam Blitz.
- : Causes the player's Inkling or Octoling to jump and is used in some menus to exit the current selection or action.
- : Used to bring up the map.
- : Resets the camera angle, allowing for quick corrections. This feature is most commonly used alongside motion controls.
- : Up and down are used for signals. On the map screen, holding while pressing left, right or up Super Jumps to a specific player and down Super Jumps to the spawn point.
- NFC pad: Used to read amiibo.
Splatoon themed versions
During the ARMS Direct, the Nintendo Switch Pro Controller Splatoon 2 Edition was announced. Changes from the regular Pro Controller include recolored grips (a Neon Green left handle and a Neon Pink right handle), similar to the Neon Green and Neon Pink Joy-Con. It also gains Splatoon designs on the front and back plates, featuring many Splatoon brand logos and splat patterns. It was released alongside Splatoon 2 on 21 July 2017.
Unique versions of the Pro Controller were given as prizes to the winners of various official Splatoon 2 tournaments with the same decorated face plate as the Splatoon 2 Edition, but have gold colored grips.
The controllers given to GG BoyZ, winners of the Splatoon 2 Koshien Tournament 2018 have "SPLATOON KOSHIEN CHAMPION 2018.2.11" printed on the top of the controller in gold. The controllers given to Yeah Nah, winners of the 2018 AUNZ Splatoon 2 Cup have "AUNZ SPLATOON 2 CUP CHAMPION 21.4.2018" printed on the top of the controller in gold, and came with a display case. The controllers given to Alliance Rogue, winners of the Splatoon 2 European Championship 2018-2019 have "2018-2019 CHAMPION" plus the tournament logo. It is unknown if there is anything printed on the top of the versions given to FTWin, winners of the Splatoon 2 North America Inkling Open 2019, but they came in a special box. The same goes for the controllers given to Lime Soda, winners of the Splatoon 2 Australasian Open 2019, which came in the same display case as the 2018 winners' controllers.
The controls as shown in the tutorial.
- Nintendo of Australia on Twitter: "Custom-made Splatoon 2 Cup Pro Controller trophies will be awarded to today’s champions!..."
- Nintendo of France on Twitter: "Le live du #Splatoon2 European Championship 2019 continue ! ..."
- PAX East Smash and Splatoon winners announced, special Pro Controllers given as prizes
- Nintendo of Australia: Australasian Open Grand Finals 2019