- This article is about the mission. For the character by the same name, see Octo Shower.
The Octo Shower
˜ Sanitizarium ˜
The Octo Shower
˜ Sanitizarium ˜
||Cleanser of Inklings
— intro to the Octo Shower boss fight.
The Octo Shower is the fourth boss mission in Splatoon 2's single-player mode, Octo Canyon.
The Octo Shower serves as the fourth boss of Splatoon 2's Octo Canyon, and is fought by unlocking and then entering its boss kettle, as with every other octoboss - specifically, the Octo Shower's is located in Slimeskin Garrison. Its defeat opens the launchpad to Cephalon HQ, the final area of the game.
The Octo Shower functions as somewhat of an enormous, autonomous gunship, possessing a number of ranged attack options that it employs while flying and hovering a good distance away from its target. Different from the majority of the octobosses faced by Agent 4 thus far, the Octo Shower doesn't employ its massive size to attack directly, and solely fights using indirect attacks. These attacks include:
- The Octo Shower takes out a charger-like weapon and aims it at Agent 4, charging up a shot before firing a long line of ink towards them. A laser pointer comes out of the gun before firing, which perfectly tracks Agent 4 right up until the moment before firing. Remaining mobile or getting behind one of the towers in the arena is the key to avoiding this.
- The Octo Shower takes out a crank-operated, splatling-like weapon and, after a brief delay, begins firing an inaccurate barrage of ink globs at Agent 4. The same rules for dodging the charger attack apply, only taking cover is usually more effective due to the erratic spray being harder to avoid than the simple line of ink.
- The Octo Shower takes out a sting ray-like weapon, and, after a brief moment of charging, fires a continuous magenta beam at Agent 4. Just like the real Sting Ray, the beam ignores walls, meaning staying on the move is the only way to avoid being damaged. Fortunately, the Octo Shower turns more slowly while firing, also like the real version, making avoiding it easy.
- The Octo Shower launches two Octorpedoes towards Agent 4, which splash ink in a large radius on impact unless destroyed mid-flight. These rockets don't attempt to follow 4 once in-flight, making moving an easy way to dodge them if they can't be shot down in time.
- The Octo Shower revs up, then drops an enormous stream of ink from beneath it (an "ink shower"). It will either remain perfectly stationary while doing so, or move to one side of the arena beforehand and sweep to the other, creating a long and thick row of ink on the ground.
- The Octo Shower lets out a hiss from its vents, ordering the Octocopters carrying it to fire at Agent 4 in unison, which they indeed do shortly after. This attack is only used when 4 gets close enough to attack any of the Octocopters.
When fighting the Octo Shower with any weapon besides the Hero Charger, there will be two Ride Rails on opposite towers, a Rolonium bundle on the other opposite two, and a Bounce Pad on the middle tower so Agent 4 can find other means of splatting the Octocopters carrying the Octo shower
The Octo Shower appears to be an enormous robot, vaguely shaped like a brass-and-copper shower head. The structure of it is rather simple, consisting of a number of metal protrusions hanging from the bottom of a slanted, blue ring that tops the machination, shaped somewhat like a shower cap, with the most prominent features of its chassis being its two enormous, circular optics on the front of it, covered by grates, that constantly glow red. Above the Octo Shower's 'eyes' are two small square vents that also glow red, partially obscured by its cap. Steam will blow out of these during certain actions, such as preparing an attack or recovering from being knocked to the ground. Resting on the Octo Shower's cap is a single, small, yellow rubber duck.
On both the top and bottom of the Octo Shower are prominent circular holes. The bottom one serves as a bay that hides the Octo Shower's arms - two-segmented robotic appendages with blue rubber gloves for hands - as well as a variety of upscaled weapons that it holds using them, including a Charger, a crank gun, and a Sting Ray. The top one serves as an access for the control tentacle inside the machine; a large amount of magenta octo-ink can be seen within. Usually, this top hole is covered by a large, metal drain plug, with a number of chains connected to it. Octocopters with special yellow helmets constantly hold onto these, which, when using several at once, allow the Octo Shower to fly and, thus, move - without them, the Octo Shower is completely immobile and its control tentacle, exposed.
The Octo Shower itself is carried by a group of Octocopters, which must be splatted to drop the Octo Shower to the ground, exposing its control tentacle. This, however, proves to be an issue, as the Octo Shower and the Octocopters carrying it fly too high to be hit from the ground, even with the Hero Charger. This is where the unique structure of the arena comes into play; unlike every other boss's arena, the Octo Shower's arena involves a small number of towers dotted around the arena that can be climbed upon to get a better shot at the Octo Shower's carriers, or used to hide behind to avoid attacks. If one takes too long to splat the Octocopters, the Octo Shower will move across the arena and back out of range, requiring Agent 4 to chase it again.
The first time the Octo Shower has to be fought, a Sheldon Request requires that Agent 4 use the Hero Charger. On subsequent revisits, however, a number of objects are added around the arena to compensate for the other seven weapons' shorter ranges, such as Ride Rails, Dash Panels, Bounce Pads, and Rolonium spawners.
The Octo Shower using a charger weapon
During the first phase of the fight, the Octo Shower will only attack using its charger, rocket and ink shower attacks. A total of three Octocopters carry it, which react somewhat slowly to being attacked. Even the Octo-Shower itself will pause between attacks, frequently. Simply splat the three Octocopters from a high location, then splat the tentacle that emerges from the downed Octo Shower.
The Octo Shower using the hand crank weapon
After having its tentacle splat once, more Octocopters come in and pick the Octo Shower up; this time, four instead of three. In addition to reacting and attacking slightly faster, the Octo Shower adds its crank gun, which Sheldon finds low-tech, attack to the attacks it used in the first phase.
The Octo Shower holding a Sting Ray
After being splatted twice, the Octo Shower is now lifted by four Deluxe Octocopters. With their ability to dodge left and right quickly, hitting them is less about using precise shots and more about using a large quantity of them. Additionally, the Octo Shower adds its Sting Ray attack to its arsenal, and begins attacking with splendor.
Once dropped and splatted one more time, the Octo Shower will try to call in more Octocopters but none appear. It now starts to malfunction and release smoke before exploding, freeing the Zapfish inside.
Enemies and Mechanics
- During the fight:
||Blast the tentacle, Agent 4!
||Bring those Octocopters down!
||Low-tech or not, make sure you don’t get hit by it!
||Ink shower! Dodge to the side!
||The tentacle is exposed! Flambé this fool!
||The Octocopters are moving faster. You’ve got ‘em on the ropes!
||Now, Agent 4! End it!
- After defeating the boss:
||Are... Uh... Are you holding the phone upside down?
||Ummmm... Don't those mean the same thing?
||W-wait! Don't go! CALLIE?! CALLIE!
||I... I can't believe it. Could Callie really be working with the Octarians? Agent 4, I need your help now more than ever.
||You're not much of a talker, are you? Well you're still here, so I'm going to keep telling you to do stuff. LET'S GO!
- Sheldon's Request Quotes
||I could REALLY use some more data on this weapon. Can you use it for a bit?
- Sheldon's Level Quotes
||It's targeting you! RUN!
||Missiles! If you can't shoot them down, take cover!
||He has some sort of hand-crank cannon. Talk about low-tech…
||There's no hiding from this guy. Better get moving!
||It's got a Sting Ray?! That thing cuts through walls!
- Interrupting Marie's call:
||RUN! LEAVE NOW AND NEVER LOOK BACK!
(Note:This piece of dialogue is upside down in-game.)
||Ugh... I totally was.
||Um... Nope, this is definitely not Callie! So just...leave. It's dangerous here! And it's not safe at all!
||WHATEVER! JUST GET OUT OF HERE! I'm not calling again!
- "Het lijkt erop dat directe aanvallen niet werken."
(It seems like direct attacks won't work.)
- "Zorg dat je niet onder hem staat als hij de douche aanzet!"
(Make sure that you don't stand under it when it turns on the shower!)
- "Octokopters! Beeld ik het me nu in, of hangt hij eraan vast?"
(Octocopters! Am I imagining it now, or is it attached to them?)
- "Precies, agent 4. Mik op de tentakel!"
(Precisely, Agent 4. Aim for the tentacle!)
- "Octokopters, hier komt agent 4!"
(Octocopters, here comes Agent 4!)
- "Of het nou een klassieker is of niet, we zullen ermee moeten afrekenen!"
(Whether it is a classic or not, we will have to deal with it!)
- "Daar komt een inktdouche aan! Wijk uit!"
(There comes an ink shower! Dodge!)
- "Daar is de tentakel!"
(There is the tentacle!)
- "De Octokopters zijn sneller geworden! Nu is het menens."
(The Octocopters have become faster! Now it means business.)
- "Nu, agent 4! Maak het af!"
(Now, Agent 4! Get it done!)
- After beating the boss for the first time:
- "Hou je misschien je telefoon verkeerd om...?"
(Are you maybe holding your phone the wrong way round...?)
- "Is dat niet hetzelfde...?"
(Is that not the same...?)
- "W-wacht! Hang niet op! Callie? Callie?!"
(W-wait! Don't hang up! Callie? Callie?!)
- "We... Werkt Callie... Werkt Callie nou voor de Octarianen?! Agent 4, ik heb je hulp nog harder nodig dan ik dacht."
(Wo... Works Callie... Is Callie working for the Octarians?! Agent 4, I need your help even more than I thought.)
- "... ... ..."
(... ... ...)
- "Ik zal die ongemakkelijke stilte maar opvatten als een JA! Ik wist wel dat je vers was! Oké, laten we gaan!"
(I will just interpret that uncomfortable silence as a YES! I did know you were fresh! Okay, let's go!)
- After the transmission:
- "Oké, Callie en de Megavoltvis zijn verderop! Kom op, agent 4!"
(Okay, Callie and the Great Zapfish are further on! Come on, Agent 4!)
- Order van Krabbert:
- "Gebruik dit wapen maar snel, dan kan ik de gegevens ervan analyseren!"
(Use this weapon quickly, then I can analyze the data of it!)
- Mission quotes:
- "Hij richt op jou! Rennen!"
(It aims at you! Run!)
- "Raketten! Als je ze niet neer kunt schieten, schuil dan achter een muur!"
(Missiles! If you can't shoot them down, then take cover behind a wall!)
- "Hij heeft een soort kanon met een zwengel... Dat is wel heel retro!"
(He has some kind of cannon with a crank... That is very retro!)
- "De Magistraal?! Die gaat dwars door muren!"
(The Sting Ray?! That one goes right through walls!)
- "Voor deze jongen kun je je niet verbergen. Blijf dus liever in beweging."
(You can't hide yourself from this boy. So keep moving is preferable.)
- "˙˙˙ʇɯoʞƃǝʍ ǝɾ ʇɐp ʞɐɐW ˙˙˙ƃnɹǝʇ ɐפ"
"Ga terug... Maak dat je wegkomt..."
( ˙˙˙ǝɹǝɥ ɟo ʇno ʇǝפ ˙˙˙ʞɔɐq oפ)
(Go back... Get out of here...)
- "Ah! Ja, wat stom van me!"
(Ah! Yes, how stupid of me!)
- "Uh... Nee, ik ben Callie niet! Pak gewoon je spullen en vertrek... Het is hier gevaarlijk! En erg onveilig!"
(Uh... No, I am not Callie! Just pack your stuff and leave... It is dangerous here! And very unsafe!)
- "Wat maakt het uit, ga gewoon! Ik bel niet nog eens!"
(What does it matter, just go! I am not calling again!)
The Octo Shower's shower attack.
The Octo Shower blowing up.
The screen when the mission is complete.
- When only one Octocopter remains holding the Octo Shower up, it'll begin struggling with the weight. Despite this, the maneuverability of the boss isn't hindered, and the single Octocopter is just as nimble as two, three, or four.
- A number of items composing of the Octo Shower reference cleanliness and bathrooms.
- Its Charger resembles a Classic Squiffer while its Gatling gun resembles a Sloshing Machine, which are based on a spray bottle and a clothes washer, respectively.
- As mentioned, the blue top of the Octo Shower resembles a shower cap.
- The gloves on its hands resemble disposable rubber gloves, often used when cleaning.
- The entirety of the Octo Shower's arena appears to be covered in linoleum tiles. Additionally, things such as faucets and drains can be seen on the walls and floor in places.
- Its ink shower attack very literally has it function like its namesake, a shower.
- The torpedoes it launches have towels on top of them similar to how people put a towel on top of their head during baths.
- The rubber duck that sits on the top of the Octo Shower wears a bow that resembles Callie's tentacles.
- The Octo Shower is the only boss that the player is unable to hide from in ink, it will instead launch torpedoes right where the player is hiding.
- The ink shower resembles how Flooders have ink pouring from their underside.
- The Octo Shower is the only boss with other Octarians involved, being Octocopters and Deluxe Octocopters.
- The Octo Shower is one of the two bosses with mechanics not associated with the boss (listed above), the other being the Rainmaker and ride rails in Tide Goes Out.
Names in other languages
Add/complete French (NoA and NoE) translation edit
||ゆかげん よかけん #
Yukagen Yokaken #
|The Bath Temperature is Good:|
Octopus Pot Bibanon (shout of the bath song)
||Stop de Octosproeier
||Stop the Octosprayer
| French (NOE)
||Passage de savon chez Tentablutions
||Dressing-down giving with Tenta-showering |
(Note: the french version for giving a dressing-down contains the word "savon", which translates to soap.)
||Oktoplanscher schlägt Wellen
||Octosplasher makes waves
un bagno poco rilassante...
A not very relaxing bath...
| Spanish (NOA)
||Baño de tinta
| Spanish (NOE)
||Baño de tinta con el Octoirrigador
||Ink bath with the Octoirrigator