|“||Gotta have a key to open that vault!||”|
Vaults, also known as locks, lockboxes, and doors, are a mechanic in Octo Valley, Octo Canyon, and the Octo Expansion. Vaults typically contain launchpads to allow the player to progress. Each vault has a key that unlocks it nearby, usually hidden in a crate or Octarian.
Vaults are large, cylindrical, stationary objects found in many missions. They are slightly larger than an Inkling or Octoling and have a silver, metallic appearance. A golden lock in the center of each vault prevents the player from accessing a vault's contents and can only be opened with a key. Once a vault has been unlocked, it separates along three vertical, toothed seams and begins dissolving from its base to its top. This animation is accented by a shower of glowing bubbles that match the player's current ink color.
- A vault first appears in Octotrooper Hideout near the final checkpoint. It conceals a launchpad, and can be unlocked with a key found in a crate in a nearby area, guarded by multiple Octotroopers.
- In Flooder Junkyard, a vault can be found at Checkpoint 2 and the key can be found in Checkpoint 3. It reveals a Propeller-Lift.
- In the Final Checkpoint of Splat-Switch Revolution, a vault can be found on top of one of the Flooders. The key can also be found under the Flooders once the first wave of Octotroopers is defeated.
- The first vault in the mission Far-Flung Flooders can be found Checkpoint 1. The key is found on the right side of the area.
- The second vault can be found on Checkpoint 3. The key can be found in a corner of the area where the Flooders roam. It reveals a Gusher to the Final Checkpoint.
- Following to the Final Checkpoint, the third and final vault can be found under an old Flooder. An Octosniper carries the key for the vault. It reveals a Launchpad.
- In Unavoidable Flying Object, the key can be found at the tower at the center of the map and the vault is located on the opposing side of the map. It reveals a Launchpad which takes Agent 3 to the UFO Hideout.
- Return of the Octarians (Mission #01)
- Octozeppelin Invasion (Mission #06)
- Back-Alley Cleanup (Mission #07)
- Octoling Strike (Mission #09)
- Octoseeker Shakedown (Mission #10)
- The Floating Garden (Mission #11)
- Octo-Resort Spring (Mission #12)
- Dancing Floors (Mission #13)
- Parking Garage (Mission #14)
- Octoling Assault (Mission #15)
- Octocommander Fortress (Mission #17)
- The Experimentorium (Mission #19)
- Propellerland (Mission #20)
- Octolings Ahoy! (Mission #21)
- Underground Expressway (Mission #22)
- Transfer Junction (Mission 24)
- Platform Madhouse (Mission 25)
- Octoling Workout (Mission 27)
- Bounce with Me Station
- Wassup 8-Ball Station
- Ink from Above Station
- Radio Station
- Can't Touch This Station
Agent 3 facing a locked vault.
Agent 3 approaching a locked vault.
The vault being unlocked with a key.
The unlocked vault a few seconds after being unlocked, revealing a launchpad.
Agent 3 next to a vault in Far-Flung Flooders.
A see-through vault in Splatoon 2.
Names in other languages