|“||Judd the cat will tell you who won at the end of each match. No kitten!||”|
— Splatoon's official website, 
|Age||At least 10,000|
Judd (Japanese: ジャッジくん Jajji-kun) is a cat in Splatoon and Splatoon 2 that plays the role of referee in Multiplayer matches. Unlike other characters, he seems to play a bigger role in Splatoon's story that remains a mystery.
Personality and traits
Judd was born with the incredible ability to judge turf area at a glance to separate the winners from the losers. It may look like he is wearing a snazzy cat tuxedo, but that’s actually just the naturally occurring pattern of his fur. He is also a bit lazy, just like most cats, but is much more active during the night. This is shown in Splatfests, where he can be found dancing and saying, "Meow!"
As depicted in the Sunken Scrolls, Judd's appearance has changed over time. Judd seems to resemble more of what he currently looks like in the present according to Sunken Scroll #25, but looks much younger and smaller in appearance. In Sunken Scrolls #4 and #15, Judd appears to be much smaller and thinner than his current form. Sunken Scroll #14, which was documented at the end of the Great Turf War, shows that between the time of scrolls #15 and #14, he has recaptured his much "heftier" appearance.
According to the Sunken Scrolls, Judd is more than 10,000 years old, as his original human owner is implied to have built a capsule designed to keep Judd cryogenically sealed for 10,000 years. Because of this, Judd was the only land life form that wasn't buried beneath the rising sea levels during the mass extinction at the beginning of the Mollusc Era.
When he's not judging, he can be found sleeping on a blue crate on the Inkopolis Plaza, although he is said to live in Flounder Heights. The player can talk to Judd and he will give advice as well as a cash bonus depending on the player's online battle vibe, which increases and decreases with wins and losses. He will only give one cash bonus per vibe per stage rotation.
This article or section discusses unreleased content. Information is subject to change. Please review our policy on rumors and leaks before adding leaked information.
Judd returns in Splatoon 2 and once again plays the role of the referee, but is now joined by an cat that bares a large resemblance to him, except it's much smaller, his marks are less dark and he seems more happier than Judd. Judd now represents the good guys (the players team) while the mini Judd represents the bad guys (the rival team). Judd now falls over when the bad guys win and vice versa. He once agains takes naps on a pillow (now green) but in the Inkopolis Square and Mini-Judd sits on top of him.
- Main article: Judd/Advice
- "A Splat Bomb's timer is only active while it's on the ground! So they'll explode quicker when rolled than when thrown through the air!"
- "An Inkstrike lets you attack any location on the map! The tornado slowly expands from a central point, so try to be accurate! And don't let foes hit you while you're looking at your map! Stay alert!"
- "Chargers deal an awful lot of damage with each shot! But even so... If you just try to splat foes in one hit, you're going to have a bad time. Try using your first blast to block off the path ahead of them with ink... Then you can take them out more easily with the second! Painting the ground like this will help your allies too, so get shooting!"
- Judd's voice clips, either of which are used for the "Meow!" at the beginning of a piece of advice.
- Main article: Vibe
|SO HAWT!! (NA)
On Fire! (EU/OC)
In the manga series
Judd, like in the game, judges Turf War rounds. His appearance is the same.
- Judd's name is derived from the word "judge," as he is the referee for all the ink battles in Splatoon.
- The tip of his tail is designed to look like an arrow.
- Along with a handful of birds and insects, Judd is one of the few non-aquatic creatures in the game, as he is a cat. As stated in a developers' interview, this is because of the fact that the main characters of Splatoon were originally going to be rabbits; Judd is a leftover from that stage of the game's development.
- Also explained in the interview is the source of Judd's name; apparently, the pattern of his fur came first, and it caused some developers to nickname him ジャッジ, or "Judge", which is his current name in the Japanese version of Splatoon.
- Cats generally have a lifespan of 15 years. Normally he may not have lived after being awakened from cryostasis and living throughout 2,000 years ago.
- There was a glitch in which the player could get their money back after purchasing a slot, reroll, or ordered gear from Spyke by talking with Judd after the purchase. It was fixed with the 1.2.0 patch.
- During Splatfest, Judd can be seen dancing around happily on his pillow in Inkopolis Plaza. Instead of the usual "Zzz," he says "Meow!"
- According to Callie and Marie, Judd lives in Flounder Heights and can be seen commuting to and from Inkopolis.
- Cash cannot be given by Judd during a Splatfest, as there is no vibe and it is replaced by Splatfest Power.
- The mini-Judd appears to be a lot bigger while judging matches than while he's sitting on Judd in the Inkopolis Square.
Judd declaring a knockout win for a Ranked Battle. (Click to animate)
Judd sleeping in Inkopolis Plaza.
Still of Judd dancing during a Splatfest.
Judd declaring the end of the Great Turf War in result of the Inklings' victory over the Octarians.
Judd alongside his division; the Squidbeak Splatoon.
Official animation of Judd and the Squid Sisters, from a promo video for Splatfests.
Concept art the .52 Gal, with a small charm of Judd hanging from it.
Judd in celebratory art for Splatoon having sold one million copies.
Japanese promo for Splatoon-themed stamps for the instant messaging app LINE, including one of Judd.
Names in other languages
|Spanish||Justino||Male name resembling justo (just)|
|French||Charbitre||Pun on chat (cat) and arbitre (referee)|
|German||Der Miezrichter||Pun on Schiedsrichter (referee) and Miez (kitty)|
|Italian||Giudigatto||Pun on giudice (judge) and gatto (cat)|
|Characters in Splatoon|