|This article or section discusses events, locations, or objects found in real life.|
The Joy-Cons are the main controllers for the Switch, and two are included with every Switch, with extra's sold separately. They are small controllers, that can be slotted into both sides of the Switch Console to form the Gamepad esque Handheld mode, slotted into a Joy-Con Grip to form a more conventional controller, or used separately such as one in each hand, or as a controller each for multiplayer games. They Joy-Cons include SL and SR triggers, HD Rumble, and motion controls, and the Joy-Con (R) contains an IR camera and NFC pad. The is replaced by directional buttons, to help 2 player modes.
The Joy-Con Grip is an accessory included with every Nintendo Switch, that the player slots the Joy-Cons into either side ofto form a more conventional controllerhowever it does not add any more features. The Joy-Con Charging Grip is separate accessory that charges the Joy-Con while using it, and has a translucent plastic backing rather than the matte style plastic used in the regular grip.
- : Used primarily to move the player's Inkling or Octoling forward, backward, left, and right.
- : Allows players to transform into squids or octopuses. In this form, Inklings and Octolings are able to move faster through their own ink and jump farther.
- : Used to throw clams that the player is holding while playing Clam Blitz.
- Directional Buttons: Up and down on the directional buttons is used for Signals. On the map screen, holding while pressing Left, Right or Up will slow the player to Super Jump to a another player and Down super jumps to the Spawn Point.
- Motion controls: By tilting the Joy-Con up, down, left, and right, players are able to change their Inkling's view and aim, and to move the cursor to Super Jump.
- : Used for more precise aiming, and controls which direction the player looks. Clicking it in will activates the players Special Weapon. The stick is used a lot in menus.
- : Allows players to splatter ink using a variety of weapons. In Inkopolis Square, this button is used to zoom in on specific landmarks.
- : Allows players to use a variety of sub weapons. These have various effects which range from allowing teammates to Super Jump to one's current location at any time, to a robot that tracks and tries to splat nearby opponents.
- : Used in menus to select specific actions and options and is also used to throw clams in Clam Blitz.
- : Causes the player's Inkling or Octoling to jump and is used in some menus to exit the current selection or action.
- : Used to bring up the map.
- : Resets the camera angle, allowing for quick corrections. This feature is most commonly used alongside motion controls.
- NFC Pad: Used for reading amiibo.
Splatoon themed Joy-Cons
Nintendo announced new Splatoon 2 themed Joy-Con colors soon after the ARMS Direct, Neon Green Joy-Con (L) and Neon Pink Joy-Con (R), along with other Splatoon 2 themed accessories including a Splatoon 2 themed Switch Pro Controller. They are sold together, or in a bundle with a Nintendo Switch and Splatoon 2' in Japan. They were released on the 28th July, a week after the release of Splatoon 2.