Characters in Splatoon are the people of the world. Characters interact with players whilst progressing through the game, and range from selling gear in Inkopolis to fulling the plot in Octo Valley.
A list of characters can be found in its category page.
Species is the classification of an organism, or character in this case. With the exception of Judd and birds, all characters are sea-creatures or derivatives of.
A team of male and female Inklings
- Main article: Inkling
- Main article: Jellyfish
A jellyfish sitting on a bench
Jellyfish are also scattered in Inkopolis Plaza and various Stages.
- Main article: Octarian
Some Octarians, ready to battle Inklings and protect the Zapfish
The Octarians are the main antagonistic species of the story mode in Splatoon. They reside in Octo Valley, and are responsible for stealing Zapfish from Inkopolis. Their main ink color is
Dark fuchsia. The Octarians fought against the Inklings for territory in the Great Turf War and lost. Unlike Inklings, the species includes a great amount of sub-species that act differently from each other.
Sheldon, a horseshoe crab.
Some horseshoe crabs are seen lying on the poolside in Mahi-Mahi Resort.
The only known lobster, shown in the Chirpy Chips' album art.
The lead member of Hightide Era, a fish.
Super Sea Snail
- Main article: Super Sea Snail
- Unnamed Super Sea Snails in the player's possession
- Spyke's Super Sea Snails, also unnamed
- Main article: Zapfish
- Several normal-sized Zapfish retrieved in Octo Valley
- The Great Zapfish
Judd, the only known mammal in Splatoon.
A bowing eel construction worker.
- Perhaps Eels too.
- A handful of animals are seen and/or heard at various locations, including seagulls, sparrows, cicadas, and crickets. Unlike other creatures in Splatoon, many of which have evolved into more human-like forms, these animals seem to have changed very little over time.