|“||Judd the cat will tell you who won at the end of each match. No kitten!||”|
— Splatoon official website
Personality and traits
Judd was born with the incredible ability to judge turf area at a glance to separate the winners from the losers. It may look like he is wearing a snazzy cat tuxedo, but it is just the naturally occurring pattern of his fur. He is also a bit lazy, just like most cats, but is much more active during the night. This is shown in Splatfests, where he could be found dancing and saying "Meow!"
As depicted in the Sunken Scrolls, Judd's appearance has changed over time. Judd seems to resemble more of what he currently looks like in the present according to Sunken Scroll 25, but looks much younger and smaller in appearance. In Sunken Scrolls 4 and 15, Judd appears to be much smaller and thinner than his current form. Sunken Scroll 14, which was documented at the end of the Great Turf War, shows that between the time of scrolls 15 and 14, he has recaptured his much "heftier" appearance.
According to the Sunken Scrolls, Judd is more than 10,000 years old, as his original human owner is implied to have built a capsule designed to keep Judd cryogenically sealed for 10,000 years. Because of this, Judd was the only land life form that was not buried beneath the rising sea levels during the mass extinction at the beginning of the Mollusc Era.
When he is not judging, he can be found sleeping on a blue crate on the Inkopolis Plaza, although he is said to live in Flounder Heights. The player can talk to Judd and he gives advice as well as a Cash bonus depending on the player's online battle Vibe, which increases and decreases with wins and losses. He only gives one cash bonus per vibe per stage rotation.
|SO HAWT!! (NA)[a]
On Fire! (EU/OC)[b]
Judd returns in Splatoon 2 and once again plays the role of the referee, now joined by Li'l Judd. Judd represents the player's team, called "Good Guys", and Li'l Judd represents the enemy team, called "Bad Guys". When the Good Guys win, Judd brandishes a flag in their ink color and Li'l Judd falls in defeat; the opposite happens when the Bad Guys win. He once again takes naps when not judging battles, and can be seen sleeping in Inkopolis Square with Li'l Judd sitting on top of him. Judd and Li'l Judd switch between giving advice, where the player can earn a Super Sea Snail from Judd each time they level up past Level 30. In Sunken Scroll 27, it is implied that Li'l Judd is a clone of Judd, created upon reactivating the device that brought him to the future.
- Judd's voice clips in Splatoon, either of which are used for the "Meow!" at the beginning of a piece of advice.
In the manga series
Judd, like in the game, judges Turf War rounds. His appearance is the same.
- Judd's name is derived from the word "judge," as he is the referee for all the battles in Splatoon.
- In Judd's pieces of advice in the North American versions, he includes a large number of puns about cats.
- The tip of his tail is designed to look like an arrow.
- Along with a handful of birds and insects, Judd is one of the few non-aquatic creatures in the game. As stated in a developers' interview, this is because the main characters of Splatoon were originally going to be rabbits; Judd is a leftover from that stage of the game's development.
- Also explained in the interview is the source of Judd's name; apparently, the pattern of his fur came first, and it caused some developers to nickname him ジャッジ, or "Judge", which is his final name in the Japanese version of Splatoon.
- A cat resembling Judd was depicted in an ancient scroll from around 2,000 years ago. Cats generally have a lifespan of fifteen years. It is unknown if this cat is the same as Judd after awakening from cryostasis, or if it is related to the machine Judd laid dormant in, which also has the capability of creating a clone of Judd as revealed in Splatoon 2.
- There was a glitch in which the player could get their money back after purchasing a slot, reroll, or ordered gear from Spyke by talking with Judd after the purchase. It was fixed with Version 1.2.0.
- During Splatfests, Judd could be seen dancing around happily on his pillow in Inkopolis Plaza. Instead of the usual "Zzz," he said "Meow!"
- According to Callie and Marie, Judd lives in Flounder Heights and can be seen commuting to and from Inkopolis.
- Cash could not be given by Judd during a Splatfest, as there was no Vibe, being replaced by Splatfest Power.
- Judd had a noticeably different animation while declaring results in the E3 2014 Splatoon demo. In that version, he twisted his entire body towards the winning team before the final results were shown, while in the final version, he simply tucks his hands behind his back before showing the results.
- Li'l Judd appears to be noticeably larger while judging matches in comparison to Judd than while he is sitting on Judd in Inkopolis Square.
- It is said by Marina that Judd poses for an online art class at Inkblot Art Academy. Japanese dialogue adds that he does this because fluffy creatures like him are so rare.
Judd judging ink coverage
Judd declaring a knockout win for a Ranked Battle (Click to animate)
Still of Judd sleeping in Inkopolis Plaza
Still of Judd dancing during a Splatfest
Judd judges a round of Turf Wars
Judd with the Squidbeak Splatoon
Official animation of Judd and the Squid Sisters, from a promo video for Splatfests
Concept art the .52 Gal, with a small charm of Judd hanging from it
Japanese promo for Splatoon-themed stamps for the instant messaging app LINE, including one of Judd
Judd waving a flag with Li'l Judd
Dialogue icon (also shown in the Inkopolis Square map)
Sunken Scroll 26, showing Judd's capsule being accidentally unplugged
The same for the My Melody vs. Pompompurin Splatfest
Artwork of Judd for the Chaos vs. Order Splatfest
Judd with Li'l Judd and Agent 8 in artwork for Japan's unofficial Cat Day 2020
Names in other languages
|Dutch||Justus||Male given name derived from latin iustus (just)|
|French||Charbitre||Pun on chat (cat) and arbitre (referee)|
|German||Der Miezrichter||Pun on Schiedsrichter (referee) and Miez (kitty)|
|Italian||Giudigatto||Pun on giudice (judge) and gatto (cat)|
Transcription of English name
|Spanish||Justino||Male name resembling justo (just)|
|Pun on 财 (Money) and 裁判 (Judge)|
- North America
- Europe and Oceania
- GO TALK TO JUDD!
- Famitsu: 機能を表現するデザイン手法。キャラクター、ブキ、ギアのデザインに迫る、『Splatoon（スプラトゥーン）』開発スタッフインタビュー【デザイン編】(2/4) (Splatoon developer interview)
- Video showing up Judd's money glitch.
- Inkblot Art Academy/Quotes
- From the official Chinese release of the Splatoon artbook
Characters in Splatoon
Characters in Splatoon 2