Agent 3 (Splatoon)
- This article is about the character that debuted in Splatoon. For the playable character appearing in Splatoon 3, see Agent 3 (Splatoon 3).
Agent 3 is the codename of a recurring character in the Splatoon series. They are the playable character of Splatoon, named by Cap'n Cuttlefish in Octo Valley, and return as a supporting character and boss in the Octo Expansion. In Splatoon 3, Agent 3 is given the title Captain of the New Squidbeak Splatoon, replacing Craig Cuttlefish, who has retired and passed down his title.
Agent 3 can have a variety of appearances in Splatoon, depending on the player's choice of gender, skin color, and eye color, as well as their current ink color. They wear the Hero Suit and can pick up armor to wear as well. They wield the Hero Shot by default but can use the Hero Charger or Hero Roller for amiibo challenges.
In the Octo Expansion, Cap'n Cuttlefish makes a "missing" poster for Agent 3 after three thangs are collected, which allows the player to determine their appearance when they appear in person later, albeit the options are restricted to those available in the original Splatoon.
In Splatoon 3, Agent 3, now addressed as "Captain", takes on the appearance chosen in the Octo Expansion if the player decides to carry over their save data bonus from Splatoon 2 and have customized them there. If no save data is carried over, by default they take on the appearance of the feminine style with the third-lightest skin tone and green eyes. However, the player can change their appearance at any time by interacting with a notepad at the tent located in the Crater, once again with the same limited customization options in Splatoon. As Captain they wear the Cap of Legend in combination with their Hero Headset, tattered clothes (similar to what Cap'n Cuttlefish wore in Splatoon) over a grey shirt, tattered black pants, and new Flip-Flops in the same style as the Hero Suit. Additionally, they have scars on both tips of their hair.
Not much is known about Agent 3's background, except that they left their home at the age of 14 to "be where fashion is made" and moved to live alone in Inkopolis.
In Splatoon, after following him through a manhole in Inkopolis Plaza, Agent 3 met Cap'n Cuttlefish in Octo Valley. After explaining to them the Octarians' plan of stealing the Great Zapfish, he recruited the young Inkling as Agent 3 of the New Squidbeak Splatoon, giving them the Hero Shot and a hand-me-down Hero Suit. Agent 3 then progressed through the levels of Octo Valley, retrieving Zapfish and defeating the Great Octoweapons.
After defeating the Octowhirl, however, Cuttlefish got kidnapped, and Agent 3 was instead guided by his granddaughters, Agents 1 and 2. After completing all the levels in Octo Valley, Agent 3 eventually battled the leader of the Octarians, DJ Octavio, in Enter the Octobot King!. After the fourth and penultimate phase of the battle, Agents 1 and 2 revealed themselves as Callie and Marie of the Squid Sisters and played the Calamari Inkantation, allowing Cuttlefish to free himself. With this motivation, Agent 3 defeated Octavio, rescuing Cuttlefish and the Great Zapfish, and Inkopolis' power supply was restored.
In Octo Canyon in Splatoon 2, Agent 3 does not appear, being replaced by Agent 4. However, Agent 3 is mentioned various times through Marie's dialogue. Sunken Scroll 25 revealed that Cap'n Cuttlefish went off traveling with Agent 3 for "a research trip to the cape."
Before the start of the Octo Expansion, Agent 3 and Cap'n Cuttlefish continued exploring Octo Valley when they ended up in battle against a young Octoling. However, an unknown third party attacked them, leaving them stranded in the Deepsea Metro, with Agent 3 separated. Cuttlefish and the Octoling nicknamed Agent 8 teamed up to collect the four thangs and escape the Deepsea Metro.
After Agent 8 collected all four thangs, the Telephone built them into a blender and tricked Agent 8 and Cuttlefish inside. However, Marina used Agent 8's CQ-80 device to unleash a distress signal to which Agent 3 responded by jumping through the roof and destroying the blender. They were rendered unconscious as a result, with Cuttlefish staying behind to look after them as Agent 8 escaped through the hole Agent 3 made.
While Agent 8 was away, the Telephone attacked Agent 3, partially sanitizing them. Under the Telephone's control, they tied up Cuttlefish and later attacked Agent 8 before they could escape to the surface. After being defeated, the sanitization disappeared, leaving them once again unconscious. They eventually woke up after Agent 8 and Off the Hook defeated the NILS Statue, used by Telephone, as Commander Tartar, to destroy Inkopolis, now with a band-aid on the back of their head as the credits rolled.
When Agent 8 returned to the Deepsea Metro, Cuttlefish explained that Agent 3 went back on patrol. After Agent 8 completed all the tests, a locker in Central Station opened and they had a flashback to the first time they heard the Calamari Inkantation, prompting a final battle against their "Inner Agent 3".
Sometime before the start of Splatoon 3, Agent 3 was promoted to the captain of the New Squidbeak Splatoon, with Cap'n Cuttlefish stepping down and going into retirement. They are wearing the Cap of Legend, Hero Headset, Cap'n Cuttlefish's unnamed clothing, and sandals. At the beginning of Return of the Mammalians, Cuttlefish recruits a new Inkling or Octoling as the new Agent 3 to investigate the disappearance of the Great Zapfish in Splatsville.
After a battle with DJ Octavio at the bottom of the Crater, the new Agent 3 ends up in Alterna, where they meet the members of the New Squidbeak Splatoon, but at the same time, Cuttlefish is captured by Mr. Grizz.
After the new Agent 3 collects the three treasures guarded by Deep Cut, Agent 3, now the captain, and the Squid Sisters build it into a lawn mower-like tool together. The captain then uses it to cut off all the fuzz around Alterna Space Center so the party could go there and save Cuttlefish, but is also hurt in the process, and the tool breaks down. The two agents then follow the new Agent 3 into the space center, along with Deep Cut after the latter is given the broken tool.
After discovering the dehydrated Cuttlefish, the captain is devastated along with the Squid Sisters. They hold Cuttlefish's body in their hands and cry. A drop of tear falls on Cuttlefish's body, and he is revitalized by the teardrop in his squid form.
After the new Agent 3 defeats Mr. Grizz and visits Alterna again, the captain would praise them with a 'Booyah!' signal, as one of their only active reactions in the game, as they otherwise have Agent 2 speak for them.
The name Agent 3 was given by Cap'n Cuttlefish because Agent 1 and Agent 2 are Callie and Marie, respectively. Agent 3's real name is never revealed as it is initially dependent on the name of the player's system.
Both Goggles and Rider act as Agent 3 in the Splatoon manga as Agent 3 and Agent 3.5. They appear in Chapters 8 and 9, which follow the events of Splatoon's Octo Valley. Both are Inkling boys wearing the full Hero Suit with the addition of wearing the gear they are named after, being the Pilot Goggles and Black Inky Rider. They also use the Hero weapons from the same main weapon class as their usual weapons, with Goggles having the Hero Shot and Rider having the Hero Roller. In the Octo Expansion arc in Chapter 25, Rider mirrors the same role as Agent 3 in the game, where he rescues the Blue Team, Agent 8, and Cap'n Cuttlefish from the blender and later becomes mind-controlled. He also has the cape Agent 3 wears in Octo Expansion but uses his Gold Dynamo Roller instead of a Hero weapon.
Mellow Squid 4-Panel Comic
In the Mellow Squid 4-Panel Comic, Agent 3 is represented as a female Inkling who also is the main character, appearing with either green or orange ink.
Personality and traits
Agent 3 seems to be more serious than any of the other New Squidbeak Splatoon members. They often carry a stoic demeanor, and rarely, if ever, smile. However, they are also extremely tenacious and unwaveringly loyal to the people closest to them. Agent 3 also seems to be very good at using the Hero Shot and Autobombs, mainly the Autobomb Launcher. Agent 3, like playable Octolings, is affected by the Calamari Inkantation; it spurred Agent 3 to defeat DJ Octavio after Agents 1 and 2 revealed their identities as Callie and Marie, respectively. In Splatoon 3, even as Captain they don't speak, either using gestures or letting Agents 1 and 2 do the talking instead. When the new Agent 3 tries to speak with them, Agent 2 points out that this is due to shyness and that it should not be taken personally.
- Agent 3 has been depicted as both available genders in official artwork, female in the second Sunken Scroll in Splatoon 2 and the Octo Expansion trailer, whilst appearing as male in the official art for Splatoon 2's first anniversary. The Octo Expansion and Splatoon 3 allows the player to customize Agent 3's eyes, skin tone, and gender using the same options available from Splatoon, to allow players of the original game a level of personal canon.
- In Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, one of the customization options for female Inklings is the ability to play as Agent 3, having a light skin tone and blue eyes, but still carrying the regular Splattershot and ink tank from Splatoon.
- Two sets of gear identical to Agent 3's outfits can be unlocked for online play.
- The Hero Headset Replica, Hero Jacket Replica, and Hero Runner Replicas are now rewarded by the Callie amiibo, and the Armor Helmet Replica, Armor Jacket Replica, and Armor Boot Replicas are now rewarded by the Marie amiibo, this persists in Splatoon 3.
- In the English translation of Splatoon 2, Marie remarks to Agent 4 that Agent 3 has poor hygiene. However, in the Japanese version, Marie states that Agent 4 looks just as good as Agent 3.
- When unconscious after Agent 8 defeats them, Agent 8 can cover Agent 3 in ink, like Cap'n Cuttlefish in the first game. The ink covered on them will slowly go away.
- When Cap'n Cuttlefish draws Agent 3, he depicts female Agent 3 as right-handed, while the male as being left-handed, both holding the Hero Shot. However, when they make a physical appearance, both are right-handed.
- Unlike the first game, Agent 3 has their headset and shoes change color to their ink color, like the Hero Headset Replica and Hero Runner Replicas in Splatoon 2, instead of staying blue.
- After defeating Inner Agent 3, the player receives the Golden Toothpick. It comes with the ability Special Charge Up, possibly referencing the fact that Agent 3 can get specials very quickly.
- The reason why Agent 3 can use many special weapons is explained by Marina, saying that Agent 3 had removed their limiter, which implies that they can normally use many specials and must use something that restricts this ability.
- Agent 3 possesses an employee model CQ-80.
- Page 261 of HaikaraWalker shows an article detailing a rave called The Low Water Party in the Deepsea Metro where-in Agent 3 is shown disc jockeying by their alias "SANGO®". They were said to have an eight-hour-long DJ battle with Marina, a reference to the several appearances of the number eight in the Octo Expansion.
- The names comes from Agent 3's Japanese name "3号" (San-Gō).
- In both battles against Agent 3, they seem to not possess an Ink tank. It is unclear if this is a developer oversight, or was purposefully not included as to not interfere with their cape.
- They are the first Inkling and second character in the series with visible scars, with DJ Octavio being the first.
- Marie mentions having scars from when Callie hit her with a bug net when they were children, however, hers are not visible.
- In the Spanish translation, when Cuttlefish gives the Hero Suit to New Agent 3, he says "No recuerdo bien quien ocupó antes el puesto de Agente 3, pero te toca heredar sus cosas" (I don't remember exactly who held the position of Agent 3 before, but it's your turn to inherit their things) implying that Cuttlefish has memory problems.
- When returning to Alterna after defeating Mr. Grizz, they will give you a "booyah" during your talk with Callie, Marie, and Cuttlefish.
|This article or section needs more images!|
You can help the wiki by
Artwork for Hero Mode, featuring Agent 3.
Agent 3 meeting Cap'n Cuttlefish.
Agent 3 surveying Octo Valley.
Female Agent 3 patting a retrieved Zapfish doll at the end of a mission.
Agent 3's whereabouts are briefly mentioned in Splatoon 2.
Female Agent 3 with Cap'n Cuttlefish for the Chaos vs. Order Splatfest.
Agent 3 with Agent 8, as shown in the reveal trailer.
Agent 3 punching the Telephone to rescue Agent 8 and Cap'n Cuttlefish.
Unofficial render of Agent 3's game models on The Models Resource, with the male under mind control.
2D art of the New Squidbeak Splatoon.
Main artwork for Return of the Mammalians, featuring the Captain in it.
The Captain with their special charged up, ready to use the assembled treasure.
Unused 2D icons for the Captain's gear
Super Smash Bros Ultimate
Names in other languages