Octo Canyon (mode)
Octo Canyon (also known as Hero Mode) is a singleplayer game mode in Splatoon 2. It involves the player donning the Hero Suit handed down from Agent 3 (although both Hero Suits look dissimilar) and venturing into a hidden, underground canyon where the Octarians have relocated to since the events of Splatoon, to rescue Inkopolis Squares' stolen Great Zapfish and re-defeat the Octarian army.
After the Great Zapfish is stolen a second time by the Octarians, Marie recruits Agent 4 (Captain Cuttlefish and Agent 3 were out on a mission) to find the Great Zapfish and her missing cousin Callie. Agent 4 travels the underground lairs known as Octo Canyon to recover the Zapfish. Eventually , Agent 4 confronts DJ Octavio, who has brainwashed Callie. With Marie's help, Agent 4 is able to free Callie from Octavio's mind control shades and defeats him once more.
Octo Canyon functions in the almost exact same way as Octo Valley did, with the addition of new enemies and new mechanics. The Player is given many different weapon choices as the story progresses in Octo Canyon. They are given to Agent 4 from Sheldon, and they include the Hero Shot, the Hero Roller, the Hero Charger, the Hero Dualies, the Hero Brella, the Hero Splatling, the Hero Blaster, the Hero Slosher, and the Herobrush.
For equipment data, see Octo Canyon data.
Sector 1: Tentakeel Outpost
Sector 2: Suction-Cup Lookout
Sector 3: Beaker's Depot
Sector 4: Slimeskin Garrison
Sector 5: Cephalon HQ
Similar to Octo Valley, players wear the Hero Suit and use a wide variety of weapons.
A new Hero Suit is worn by Agent 4. It is primarily neon-yellow and has headphones similarly shaped to that of the first hero suit. This suit acts like an armor collectible in that it allows the player to take damage that would normally kill them once- then it needs to regenerate. While regenerating the suit, the player is slowed down. While in certain missions, Agent 4 can find Armour. It comes in cases found in various parts of the level. You can have up to two cases on at a time and it allows you to take damage that would normally kill you. If you finish a mission with any amount of armour on, you are rewarded with 10 extra power eggs.
- Hero Shot - The default weapon given and a P90-esque shooter-type weapon. It is similar to the Splattershot, but fires slower than it if it is not upgraded. It can be upgraded twice using Power Eggs and Sardinium, increasing the fire rate.
- Hero Roller - A modified Splat Roller with a build type of a Carbon Roller. Can be upgrade once with Power Eggs and Sardinium to increase its damage and fling speed.
- Hero Charger - A modified Splat Charger. Can be upgrade once with Power Eggs and Sardinium to increase its charge speed.
- Hero Dualies - A modified Splat Dualies. Can be upgrade once with Power Eggs and Sardinium to increase its firing rate.
- Hero Slosher - A modified Slosher. Can be upgrade once with Power Eggs and Sardinium to increase its firing speed and damage.
- Hero Splatling - A modified Heavy Splatling. Can be upgrade once with Power Eggs and Sardinium to increase its charge speed.
- Hero Blaster - A modified Blaster. Can be upgrade once with Power Eggs and Sardinium to increase its firing rate.
- Hero Brella - A modified Splat Brella. Can be upgrade once with Power Eggs and Sardinium to increase its durability and brella recovery time.
- Herobrush - A modified Octobrush. Can be upgrade once with Power Eggs and Sardinium to increase its swiping speed, damage, and mobility.
The Ink Tank contains the ink consumed when using Main Weapons or Sub Weapons. Its ink supply can be replenished by swimming in ink. It can be upgraded twice with Power Eggs and Sardinium, increasing its capacity.
The Curling Bomb works similar to the ones before the 3.0.0 update. They travel across the ground, bouncing off walls, and explode after a set amount of time. Holding down will make them travel for a shorter distance before exploding, though unlike the current curling bombs it does not increase the blast radius. They can be unlocked with Sardinium and Power Eggs.
The Autobomb works just like the ones in Inkopolis. After hitting the ground, they will run towards any target they find in a certain radius, then start to explode. If they don't find a target, they will start exploding right away. They can be unlocked using Sardinium and Power Eggs.
Unlike Octo Valley, there are three types of Collectibles.
Power Eggs appear to be small, orange fish eggs that can be found throughout Octo Canyon. They can be collected by killing enemies, destroying crates, and shooting or running near individual ones scattered around the environment. They are used for upgrading equipment and weapons.
Sunken Scrolls are rolled up pieces of paper that can be found in Octo Canyon. They are long-lost drawings and other pieces of information that depict the history and lore of Inkopolis. One Sunken Scroll can be found in each level of Octo Canyon.
Sardinium is a new form of collectible in Octo Canyon. One can be found in each level, after each boss, and in each hub area. They are used to upgrade equipment and weapons with the Ammo Knights Enhancifier along side Power Eggs.
After watching the Credits, the player will unlock the full set of Hero Suit Replica Gear for use in online play. After completing all levels with a certain weapon, the player will unlock a replica of that weapon for use online.
As of Version 3.0.0, Callie also appears within Octo Canyon following the credits; when spoken to, she and Marie will share a variety of statistics relating to the player's most recent multiplayer matches, weapon statistics, and Salmon Run jobs.
- If the player enters Octo Canyon as an Octoling they will revert back to their latest customization of Inkling they used, and switch back to an Octoling once the player returns to Inkopolis.
- The Hero Suit Replica Gear will not be unlocked unless you finish watching the Credits. Skipping the Credits will not unlock the Gear, forcing you to re-watch them to unlock the Gear.
- The "Mission Failed" jingle that plays when Agent 4 fails a mission has high-pitched vocals resembling an Octoling laughing.
An Inkling looking at Marie standing on the Octo Canyon entrance.
Names in other languages