Octo Canyon (mode)
Octo Canyon (also known as Hero Mode) is a single-player game mode in Splatoon 2. It involves the player donning a Hero Suit and venturing into a hidden underground canyon where the Octarians have relocated to since the events of Splatoon, to rescue Inkopolis Square's stolen Great Zapfish and re-defeat the Octarian army.
After the Great Zapfish is stolen a second time by the Octarians, Marie recruits Agent 4 to find the Great Zapfish and her missing cousin Callie. Agent 4 travels the underground lair known as Octo Canyon to recover the Great Zapfish. Eventually, Agent 4 confronts DJ Octavio, who has brainwashed Callie. With Marie's help, Agent 4 frees Callie from Octavio's hypnoshades and defeats him once more.
Octo Canyon functions in the almost exact same way as Octo Valley did, with the addition of new enemies and new mechanics. The player is given many different weapon choices as the story progresses. They are given to Agent 4 from Sheldon, and they include the Hero Shot, Hero Roller, Hero Charger, Hero Dualies, Hero Brella, Hero Splatling, Hero Blaster, Hero Slosher, and Herobrush.
For equipment data, see Octo Canyon data.
Sector 1: Tentakeel Outpost
Sector 2: Suction-Cup Lookout
Sector 3: Beaker's Depot
Sector 4: Slimeskin Garrison
Sector 5: Cephalon HQ
A new Hero Suit is worn by Agent 4. It is primarily neon-yellow and has headphones similarly shaped to that of the first Hero Suit. This suit acts as an armor collectible in that it allows the player to take damage that would normally splat them once - then it needs to regenerate. While regenerating the suit, the player is slowed down. While in certain missions, Agent 4 can find armor. It comes in cases found in various parts of the level. The player can have up to two sets of armor on at a time and it allows them to take damage that would normally splat them. If a mission is finished with any amount of armour on, ten extra Power Eggs are rewarded.
Each Hero weapon can be unlocked by completing the level Sheldon has requested them to use it (excluding the Hero Shot which is the default weapon) and upgraded by using 1500 Power Eggs and 3 Sardinium.
- Hero Shot - The default weapon and a P90-esque shooter-type weapon. It is similar to the Splattershot but fires slower than it when not upgraded. It can be upgraded twice using Power Eggs and Sardinium, increasing the fire rate.
- Hero Roller - A modified Splat Roller similar to the Carbon Roller. Can be upgraded once with Power Eggs and Sardinium to increase its damage and fling speed.
- Hero Charger - A modified Splat Charger. Can be upgraded once with Power Eggs and Sardinium to increase its charge speed.
- Hero Dualies - Modified Splat Dualies. Can be upgraded once with Power Eggs and Sardinium to increase its firing rate.
- Hero Slosher - A modified Slosher. Can be upgraded once with Power Eggs and Sardinium to increase its firing speed and damage.
- Hero Splatling - A modified Heavy Splatling. Can be upgraded once with Power Eggs and Sardinium to increase its charge speed.
- Hero Blaster - A modified Blaster. Can be upgraded once with Power Eggs and Sardinium to increase its firing rate.
- Hero Brella - A modified Splat Brella. Can be upgraded once with Power Eggs and Sardinium to increase its durability and brella recovery time.
- Herobrush - A modified Octobrush. Can be upgraded once with Power Eggs and Sardinium to increase its flick speed, damage, and mobility.
The ink tank contains the ink consumed when using main weapons or sub weapons. Its ink supply can be replenished by swimming in ink. It can be upgraded twice with Power Eggs and Sardinium, increasing its capacity.
Curling Bombs work similarly to the ones before Version 3.0.0. They travel across the ground, bouncing off walls, and explode after a set amount of time. Holding down makes them travel for a shorter distance before exploding, though unlike the current Curling Bombs, it does not increase the blast radius. They can be unlocked with Sardinium and Power Eggs.
Autobombs work just like the ones in Inkopolis. After hitting the ground, they run towards any target they find in a certain radius, then start to explode. If they do not find a target, they start exploding right away. They can be unlocked using Sardinium and Power Eggs.
Unlike Octo Valley, there are three types of collectibles.
Power Eggs appear to be small, orange fish eggs that can be found throughout Octo Canyon. They can be collected by killing enemies, destroying crates, and shooting or running near individual ones scattered around the environment. They are used for upgrading equipment and weapons.
Sunken Scrolls are rolled up pieces of paper that can be found in Octo Canyon. They are long-lost drawings and other pieces of information that depict the history and lore of Inkopolis. One Sunken Scroll can be found in each level of Octo Canyon. If the player has already found the sunken scroll in a mission and finds it again, it will be gray in appearance and instead of acquiring it again, the player will receive 10 Power Eggs.
Sardinium is a new form of collectible in Octo Canyon. One can be found in each level, after each boss, and in each hub area. They are used to upgrade equipment and weapons with the Ammo Knights Enhancifier alongside Power Eggs. If the player has already found the Sardiniumin a mission and finds it again, it will be gray in appearance and instead of acquiring it again, the player will receive 10 Power Eggs.
After watching the credits, the player unlocks the full set of Hero Suit replica gear pieces - the Hero Headphones Replica, Hero Hoodie Replica, and Hero Snowboots Replicas - for use in online play. After completing all levels with a certain weapon, the player unlocks a replica of that weapon for use online.
As of Version 3.0.0, Callie also appears within Octo Canyon following the credits; when spoken to, she and Marie share a variety of statistics relating to the player's most recent multiplayer matches, weapon statistics, and Salmon Run jobs.
- If the player enters Octo Canyon as an Octoling, they revert to their latest customization of Inkling they used, and switch back to an Octoling once they return to Inkopolis with the ink color they had in Octo Canyon.
- The Hero Suit replica gear is not unlocked unless the credits are watched all the way through. Skipping the credits does not unlock the gear, forcing the player to re-watch them to unlock it.
- The "Mission Failed" jingle that plays when Agent 4 fails a mission has high-pitched vocals resembling an Octoling laughing.
Names in other languages