- This article is about the small, ball-shaped Octarians found in Octo Valley. For the Octotroopers inside large bowling balls, see Octoballer.
|“||Ya gotta submerge the Octoballs in ink to scuttle 'em!||”|
Octoballs are small, round Octarians with one large eye and a pair of purple lips. Because of their body shape, they are able to roll on smooth surfaces while leaving behind a thick trail of purple ink. When shot with Inkling ink, they are pushed backwards but not harmed. However, if submerged in a puddle of Agent 3's ink, they will struggle to move and can be destroyed.
- Octoballs first appeared in Octo Valley mission 2, Lair of the Octoballs.
- Octoballs can be found in the mission Floating Sponge Garden at Checkpoints 2 and 3.
- Two Octoballs can be found in Inkvisible Avenues at Checkpoint 2.
- Three Octoballs can be found Propeller-Lift Fortress at Checkpoint 1.
- A total of nine Octoballs can be found in Splat-Switch Revolution. Three of them are located in Checkpoint 1, while six of them are located in Checkpoint 4.
- Several are spawned in Enter the Octobot King! where they are spawned in the fourth section of the battle.
For unknown reasons, Octoballs do not return in Splatoon 2 and have no representation whatsoever.
Despite not appearing in the main game, sanitized versions do make an appearance in the Octo Expansion, though never used as enemies, with them being trapped in storage units during the Belly Phase as well as inside the liquid lasers of the NILS Statue. When the NILS is destroyed, these Octoballs can be seen flying out. It is unknown why they do not appear as regular enemies.
In the manga series
At the end of the fan-made issue of Splatoon, Specs, (an Inkling from Team Blue), flies over a group of Octotroopers and Octoballs. It is most likely that they would not appear in the manga again, but will possibly do so due to the Inkopolis Tower not having the Great Zapfish on it.
- Octoballs can be easily defeated by letting them swim in Agent 3's turf, in which the animation of the Octoball will look like it is trying to escape the ink. When that animation plays, Agent 3 can easily splat the Octoball.
- Despite Cap'n Cuttlefish saying they must be submerged, Octoballs can also be defeated by knocking them out-of-bounds. This is useful for the Inkling Girl amiibo levels, as they can be sniped off the cliffs while in their own ink.
Size comparison with an Inkling.
An Octoball (left) in the Splatoon manga.
Two Octoballs in Inkvisible Avenues.
Names in other languages
|French||Tentaroule||From tentacle and rouler (to roll)|
|Italian||Polpocchio||Polpo (octopus) and occhio (eye)|
Characters in Splatoon