These Octarians have been sterilized with a type of primordial ooze created by Commander Tartar. The process of sanitizing results in the Octarian losing all sense of free will, allowing them to be controlled similar to robots as seen with the dialogue from Sanitized Octolings. Marina notes that the Sanitized Octarians appear to have no pulse or signs of life.
Sanitized Octarians are visually distinct from normal Octarians by their coloration: a blue-to-neon yellow gradient on their tentacles and eyes with black sclera and glowing aqua blue irises. Elite versions (such as Sanitized Elite Octolings, Sanitized Deluxe Octocopters, and Sanitized Deluxe Twintacle Octotroopers) have a darker blue and the same yellow in the gradient.
Their voices sound more digital and compressed and, when splatted, they briefly leave glowing blue pixels and glitch-like squares. Instead of the glitter-like effect that ink has in Octo Canyon, the Sanitized Octarians' ink resembles dishwasher detergent or hand sanitizer.
Types of Sanitized Octarians
The following Octarian types have Sanitized variations. Types denoted with an asterisk have only appeared as Sanitized:
- Twintacle Octotrooper
- Octo Oven (As "Octo Oven XXL")
- Octo Samurai (As "Return of Octo Samurai")
- Neo Octostomp (As "Octostomp Redux")
- Octo Shower (As "Octo Shower Supreme")
The following Octarian machines appear using Sanitized Octarian ink:
- Although the implication is that Octarians lose all free will after sanitization, biographies about Dedf1sh describe how "little of her former self remains", showing that, at least in some cases, Sanitized Octarians do retain some key memories.
- This is further evidenced through the subtitle for the Drop the Bass Station: "Back like I never left", indicating that the Sanitized Octostomp remembers the previous battles against the New Squidbeak Splatoon and thus recognizes Cap'n Cuttlefish and sees Agent 8 as its enemy as Agent 8 is an ally of Cuttlefish.
- The case with Dedf1sh could also be thought of as incomplete sanitization, as the ends of her tentacles are red instead of the usual sanitized green.
- The Japanese name for the Belly Phase can be translated as the "Stomach Sanitization Site". In this level, Octarians are seen coming out of blue-green liquid containers with Octarians packed inside boxes. Concept and commentary from HaikaraWalker reveals that the Octarians are Sanitized in the facility and being sent from the Belly Phase to their respective test sites.
- The sanitized Octolings have one major difference from the other Octarians, being that their eyes do not have the black sclera and glowing aqua blue irises when their glasses are removed. This could be an oversight as they are never meant to be seen without their glasses in-game, but it is still visible at the right angle.
- Octarians may be sanitized by IV, due to the IV poles in Fake Plastic Station and the IV bags in the Intestinal Phase. The bags have a liquid inside of them that looks similar to Commander Tartar's "supreme DNA".
Sanitized Octolings in the Octo Expansion, each carrying different weapons
The Octo Oven XXL
The Octostomp Redux
The dialogue portrait for a Sanitized Octoling
Characters in Splatoon 2