Unlike other Zapfish, the Great Zapfish is massive and more similar to the real-life electric catfish. It has yellow curled whiskers that give off electricity, an orange mouth, peach face, a dark blue body, a small, dark blue tail with lime green along the edges, and similarly colored fins.
The Great Zapfish is a giant animal circling Inkopolis Tower, powering the city. According to the first Sunken Scroll, the Great Zapfish is 100 years old, and powers the entirety of Inkopolis. However, when the player enters Inkopolis Plaza for the first time, a news report states that the Great Zapfish has been stolen, and is believed to be linked to the UFO that crashed earlier outside of the city. However, when the player goes to Octo Valley for the first time, Cap'n Cuttlefish, a veteran of the Great Turf War, tells the player that the Great Zapfish has been stolen by the Octarians as an act of revenge for losing the war. Cuttlefish teams up with the player so they can take back the Great Zapfish, but first, the player must take back every regular Zapfish.
After collecting all regular Zapfish, the player finds the Great Zapfish in the hands of DJ Octavio, leader of the Octarians, who baits the player into saving it before sucking it up into his weapon. After defeating Octavio with the help of Agent 1 and Agent 2, the Great Zapfish is saved, and can be found resting on Inkopolis Tower for the rest of the game.
As the player enters Inkopolis Square, a news report is cast by Pearl and Marina informing everyone that both the Great Zapfish and Callie have gone missing. After going to Octo Canyon for the first time, Marie explains that Callie and the Great Zapfish have been taken by the Octarians. The player is given the Hero Suit and joins the New Squidbeak Splatoon as Agent 4. The player goes through a series of levels, obtaining both regular and mini Zapfishes along the way. After completing all levels, the player must defeat DJ Octavio in a final boss fight. With the help of Sheldon and Marie, the player defeats DJ Octavio and saves Callie and the Great Zapfish. After the player defeats DJ Octavio, the Great Zapfish will be on the Deca Tower, on the tracks above Grizzco, or flying around the sky, producing a barely-audible jingle.
- The Great Zapfish can be seen coming up from the water around Piranha Pit occasionally in both Splatoon and Splatoon 2.
- The Great Zapfish is not present on Inkopolis Tower that can be seen from Inkopolis Square in Splatoon 2.
- The Great Zapfish can be seen on top of the train railing behind Deca Tower in Splatoon 2 and is sometimes also seen flying above Inkopolis Square.
- A sound effect will play when the Great Zapfish is flying in the air.
- After the Splatoon 2 version 2.0.0 update, many players reported the Great Zapfish missing in Inkopolis Square, even if they had already completed story mode. This was patched in a later update.
- The Great Zapfish also appears as decoration on the Zapfish Satin Jacket.
- In WarioWare, Inc.: Mega Microgame$!, there is a minigame called Electric Groove Fish that has an electric catfish move electricity to the city to power it, similar to the Great Zapfish's role.
The Great Zapfish in the level Enter the Octobot King! in Splatoon.
The Great Zapfish in the front of the Zapfish Satin Jacket.
Names in other languages
Ō Denchi Namazu
|Great battery catfish|
|French||Grand Poisson-charge||Great charging fish|
|Italian||Gran pescescossa||Great zapfish|
|Spanish (NOA)||Volbagrezón||From voltio (volt) and bagre (catfish), with a -zón suffix to indicate its large size|
|Spanish (NOE)||Gran Siluro||Great catfish|
Characters in Splatoon