— the Squid Sisters' catchphrase.
- 1 Appearance
- 2 Personality and traits
- 3 Early Life
- 4 Career
- 5 Inkopolis News
- 6 In the manga series
- 7 Splatfest
- 8 Octo Valley
- 9 Octo Canyon
- 10 Trivia
- 11 Gallery
- 12 Names in other languages
- 13 References
Callie is a very fashionable Inkling, and has a more ‘edgy’ design in comparison to her cousin. Her tentacles, which are black with a purplish pink tinge at the ends, are very long and tied in a large bow on the back of her head, leaving the ends to dangle, along with a bang swept to the right of her face. She has large, angular eyes with gold irises and light brown pupils in the shape of a plus or a 'ninja star'. Her eye markings end in small points, and her eyebrows are large and oval shaped. Her ears are slightly narrower, longer, and upturned than those of the average Inkling, and on them she wears a pair of chunky, milky white earrings. Her outfit, which appears to be a romper with a corset and purplish pink lacing in the back and puffy shorts, is black with a reflective texture, as if covered in sequins. On the front are three magenta marks, which, somewhat morbidly, are made to look like the cuts made in squid when it is cooked. With this outfit, she wears magenta tights, white gloves, and a small, white, pointed neck accessory giving the impression of a shirt collar. On her feet, Callie wears a pair of black wedge shoes with a texture similar to leather, which has a shiny purplish pink material on the bottom and two pink buttons on either side of the ankle. She wears a pink and white hat resembling the Japanese fast food Ikayaki on her head, and has a birthmark or a beauty mark on her left cheek.
During a Splatfest, any part of Callie's appearance that is normally magenta will change to match the color of her Splatfest Team, including the ends of her tentacles.
As a child, Callie wore traditional Japanese-style clothing, and her tentacles were somewhat messy and much shorter, with the longest one falling just past her left ear. Her first outfit, shown in Sunken Scroll 17, consisted of a purple yukata with a squid pattern on the sleeves and a flower pattern towards the bottom, and a pair of thick black zōri with purple thongs. On the left side of her head, she wore some sort of purple accessory, resembling the feather part of her hat, and her bang is swept to the left like Marie instead of the right. For her second outfit, which was shown in promo art for the Japanese Grasshopper vs. Ant Splatfest, Callie wore a red orange yukata with a white jellyfish pattern and thinner zōri, but still with purple thongs. The purple accessory had changed to green and red, and she had what seems to be a blue inner tube strapped to her back.
While brainwashed by DJ Octavio, she wears a radically different outfit. She wears a small tank top in her colors that exposes her midriff, revealing an octopus shaped marking near her navel. Her earrings have been replaced by golden octopus earrings and her hat resembles an octopus tentacle. Her shorts appear to be made of black leather and are low cut enough to reveal a glimpse of pink fabric (possibly her undergarments), and her tights are dark purple with a magenta tinge and sequins, giving it a galaxy look. Additionally, she wears a pair of sunglasses revealed to be Octavio's hypnoshades, which he uses to keep her under his influence.
When in Tentakeel Outpost, Callie now wears a more casual outfit. She wears a white shirt with a black undershirt and a pink hoodie, a pair of black shorts, a pair of brown heeled shoes with pink socks sticking out, and along with her regular earrings, she wears a pink beanie of the same color as her hoodie with a yellow star that's similar to the one as her Agent 1 outfit in Splatoon.
Personality and traits
|This section is a stub.
You can help the wiki by to it. Reason: More information from stage comments and Splatfest choices.
Callie is very cheerful and excitable, and is usually seen with a grin on her face. She is rather fond of puns, and uses them from time to time; a habit that tends to annoy her cousin a little. She is often quite optimistic and caring; in the Japanese version of Splatoon, she thanks her Splatfest team for doing their best, whether she won or not. Unlike Marie's sarcastic comments, Callie seems to always have something happy and innocent to say. She looks at the bright side of things when she's commenting about stages. Her favourite Special seems to be the Bomb Rush.
She seems to gravitate toward exciting, outdoor activities, such as driving, running around, and going camping. However, she has expressed having a fear of heights, skateboarding, and even Bluefin Depot, and cannot ride a bicycle or drive, which is ironic as she represented cars in the Cars vs. Planes Splatfest. Some of her splatfest choices are mostly energetic and uplifting, for example, her choices Fit, Love and Perfect Body. She also loves to eat and often talks about food, much to the chagrin and occasional disgust of Marie. Her favorite food appears to be chips. Easily distracted by cute, pretty, or striking things, many of her stage comments are about something totally irrelevant to the battle. Callie also seems to have a fascination with clothing and makeup.
It is mentioned numerous times in Inkopolis News dialogue that her favorite weapon class is the Roller. Given the existence of the Hero Roller Replica and her role as Agent 1, it is possible that Callie used a Roller in Octo Valley.
In the Japanese version of Splatoon 2, Callie's speech while she's brainwashed is entirely rendered in katakana, like DJ Octavio. After Marie hits Callie with her low tide ink, she begins to regain her ability to speak normally. During the Inkopolis Live concert at Tokaigi 2018, Callie briefly speaks in katakana as a joke. 
Callie was raised in Calamari County. At a young age, she became interested in singing and entered Inkopolis' first annual Youth Folk-Singing Contest with her cousin, Marie. Their stunning performance earned them a standing ovation from the audience, as well as a first place trophy and certificate. This success made them instant pop icons.
After moving to Inkopolis, Callie worked at Walleye Warehouse with Marie for some time before eventually becoming the Squid Sisters idol group.
Riding on the fame following her win at the Youth Folk-Singing Contest, Callie joined Marie in creating the Squid Sisters. Their repertoire includes a modern take on an ancient melody, a song unique to Splatfests, and a song used to defeat DJ Octavio. They have risen in notoriety, eventually becoming Inkopolis' premier pop icons, performing at Splatfests, and hosting Inkopolis News.
- Main article: Inkopolis News
Callie hosts Inkopolis News with her cousin, Marie. Callie usually interjects humorous statements regarding stage news, often poking fun at Marie in the process. Callie also helps announce update and Splatfest news, and can be seen chatting with Marie in Inkopolis News Studio on the second floor of Booyah Base.
In the manga series
She, along with Marie, first appeared in issue 1 of the CoroCoro manga Splatoon, where she announced the CoroCoro Cup. She and Marie are hosts and commentators for that tournament. She now often appears in issues starting with issue 2.
- Main article: Splatfest
When a Splatfest occurs, Callie and Marie announce the theme prior to the event, each siding with a specific team. When the day of the Splatfest arrives, they can be seen singing and dancing atop trucks equipped with platforms and stage equipment. Upon the event's conclusion, they announce the winner in a special segment of Inkopolis News. While Callie's team has won twenty-six Splatfests, Marie's has only won nineteen.
|North America||Europe and Oceania||Japan|
Note: Bold text signifies a Splatfest victory.
- Main article: Octo Valley (mode)
As hinted throughout Octo Valley, Callie is Agent 1 and Cap'n Cuttlefish is her grandfather. While posing as Agent 1, she wears a pink beanie with a star on the left side with her bang showing, a pair of sunglasses, and what appears to be a pink t-shirt. It is unknown if her tentacles are worn down or is still tied in a bow, but covered by her beanie. Noticeably, her beauty mark isn't present. Her attire suggests she is hiding her real identity from any fans that might happen to see her. Throughout Octo Valley, Callie is heard communicating to Cap'n Cuttlefish, Agent 2, and Agent 3 regarding the looming Octarian menace. By performing a song with Agent 2, or Marie, Callie is able to distract DJ Octavio and free the Cap'n in the Octo Valley mission Enter the Octobot King!
- Main article: Octo Canyon (mode)
In Splatoon 2 Callie's disappearance at the same time as the Great Zapfish's alerts Marie to the return of DJ Octavio, leading to the recruitment of Agent 4. As the new agent made their way through Octo Canyon, Marie begins receiving peculiar radio messages that are later revealed to be coming from Callie. When Agent 4 and Marie finally discover Callie, they learn that she has fallen under the influence of DJ Octavio's "hypnoshades" and is now working as one of his subordinates. During the following battle, Marie manages to shoot off the hypnoshades with her Hero Charger, bringing Callie back to her senses.
If the mission is replayed, Callie's reason for wearing the hypnoshades again is that they "look good on her".
Starting with Version 3.0, after completing the final stage, Callie will join Marie at Cuttlefish Cabin. If the player talks to her there, she will provide statistical information about the player. The tumblr post and tweet announcing this feature give the following example:
- Callie's name forms something that resembles the word "calamari" when combined with Marie's name. Calamari is an Italian squid dish and literally translates to "squid".
- Callie's Japanese name is derived from a real-world species: "Aori-ika" is the Japanese name for the Bigfin Reef Squid
- Callie's hair accessory looks like ika sōmen, a squid dish commonly served on decorative leaves. Both the dots and the leaf change color during Splatfests.
- According to Scroll 22 of the Sunken Scrolls in Splatoon 2, Callie owns a weblog.
- Like Marie, Callie's hat is not attached and can be seen flying off of her head for a moment when she jumps.
- Her hair bang appears to be somewhat unruly when in motion or jumping, showing white at the bottom, as shown in the Go all out vs Focus on healing promo art. Though this isn't present in the game during the Splatfest dance. The same likely goes for Marie.
- Several fans have noted that Callie resembles Bayonetta from the Bayonetta series. It is unknown if this was intentional.
- From Inkopolis News dialogue, Callie is a big fan of chips.
- Although her hair is mostly black, Callie's normal ink color is magenta, as proven by her amiibo figure. This is also shown when Callie is in her squid form, as seen in Super Mario Maker and Miitomo.
- Scanning the Callie amiibo into Animal Crossing: New Leaf - Welcome amiibo allows Cece to visit your town.
- Her favorite weapon class appears to be Rollers.
- During the Inkopolis News when discussing weapon preferences for Moray Towers Callie will say "Rollers are super effective here!" This is a reference to the Pokémon games' type effectiveness system.
- Callie's main weapon is shown to be the Hero Roller or its Replica, likely from her time in the role of Agent 1. This is shown in her artwork for the Go all out! vs. Focus on healing Splatfest.
- When talking about the topic of Marie's kimono in Octo Canyon, it reveals that Callie has a similar kimono back at her home.
- It's revealed by Marie in Octo Canyon that Callie has "more money than she can count" when Callie says the number of Salmon Run shifts the player has done.
- Callie shows to have a job as an actor and movie star after the events of final Splatfest in the original game which is revealed from a Sunken Scroll and if you talk to her in Octo Canyon she worries about having to remember her new script and lines when she gets back home and she makes up that she's doing research for a documentary to why she's only seen in Octo Canyon.
- It was revealed that Callie recruited Marie to the Squidbeak Splatoon.
Closeup of Callie, showing the plus-shaped pupils unique to her and Marie.
Callie dancing during a Splatfest.
Callie's eyes next to her team's Splatfest Power.
A Callie-themed postcard for the final Splatfest.
Splatfest Promotional Art
Callie's amiibo figure.
Callie as she appears while brainwashed by DJ Octavio.
Callie's icon in Octo Canyon.
Callie's hypnoshades being shot off by Marie.
Callie remembering the Squid Sisters.
Splatoon 2 Concept Art
Names in other languages
|From Aori-ika (Japanese for Bigfin reef squid)|
|French||Ayo||With Marie's French name (Oly), it sounds like aioli.|
|German||Aioli||From aioli, a type of sauce.|
|Italian||Stella||From stella (star). With Marie's Italian name (Marina), it forms stella marina (starfish).|
|Transcription of English name|
|Spanish||Mar||Spanish for sea. With Marie's Spanish name (Tina), it forms Martina.|
|From Japanese name|
- referencing to an article of Splatune.
- 「デッカイ キカイにのって、だれかと たたかって…って あれ？キオクが… アハハ、なんてね！」(Rough translation by [ゴリライブ] 迫真ゴリラ: "Fighting someone on a big machine... Huh? My memory is... Ahaha, just kidding!")
- SplatoonUS tumblr
- SplatoonJP Twitter
- From the official Chinese release of the Splatoon artbook
Characters in Splatoon
Characters in Splatoon 2