— Crusty Sean's greeting from Splatoon 2 onwards.
Crusty Sean is a character in the Splatoon series. He is a Japanese tiger prawn who runs the shoe shop Shrimp Kicks in Splatoon, runs the food truck Crust Bucket in Splatoon 2, and travels the world in the Wandercrust while being supported via SplatNet 3 in Splatoon 3.
Crusty Sean is a humanoid shrimp wearing a dark purple beanie and a fuzzy yellow-orange jacket, giving him a resemblance to tempura. He has two arms that end in pincers and four pairs of legs, each with a different pair of shoes. From highest to lowest, these are: pink and red Arrows, Blue Sea Slugs, Pink Trainers, and purple and white Hi-Horses.
Crusty Sean's appearance remains largely the same in Splatoon 2. However, instead of a beanie, he wears a white baseball cap turned backwards, with Enperry's name in Inkling visible from the back. He also wears black-rimmed glasses and a black hoop earring on his right side, despite not having visible ears. From highest to lowest, his shoes are: White Norimaki 750s, Yellow-Mesh Sneakers with blue instead of magenta, Arrow Pull-Ons, and Sun & Shade Squidkid IV with some color alterations.
Personality and traits
Crusty Sean is known to be carelessly friendly. He is obsessed with wearing many of his favorite shoes all at the same time thanks to having many legs. While his "fried" body gives him the look of a tempura, it is actually a designer jacket. He is a friend of Bisk thanks to their shared love of shoes, and according to Marie, is a little impulsive. He likes making food, quitting Shrimp Kicks for running a food truck and often refers to food in his Wandercrust comments.
Crusty Sean's version of DJ Lee Fish's song Lookin' Fresh emphasizes the bass and percussion, because his gear corresponds to the lower part of the body. Furthermore, the heavy beat gives it a bouncy sound, reflecting his outgoing personality.
English (North America)
- ""Yo squiddo! Good to see you here in Shrimp Kicks!"...Is what I WOULD be saying if you weren't so UN-FRESH. For reals dude, do you even battle? You gotta have that Level 4 freshness before I can help you. Sorry, them's the rules! You know how to up your level, right? Just go to the lobby and do some regular battles! You got this!" - When a player below Level 4 enters the shop.
- "What's good, squiddo? Glad to see you here in Shrimp Kicks! You're looking pretty slick there! Somebody's been battling, am I right? Just so you know, all the stuff I'm selling comes with abilities attached, no extra charge! If you don't know about abilities, just press and check out the manual. Ya heard?" - When a player at Level 4 or higher enters the shop for the first time.
- "Yo, I swear you're fresher every time I see you. Itchin' for some new kicks? Take a look!" - When the player enters the shop upon reaching Level 5.
- "Whoa there, squiddo. You are waaaaay too offline right now. Talk to me after you get your internet on." - When the player is offline.
- "What up, squiddo?!" - When the player enters the shop.
- "You gonna buy it?" - When the player selects a pair of shoes.
- "You equipping it?" - When the player purchases a pair of shoes.
- "Nice doin' business with ya! Tap Equip on to switch your gear, aight?" - After the player chooses whether to equip a new pair of shoes.
- "Don't trip, squiddo! You already got those kicks!" - When the player tries to purchase shoes they already own.
- "You're a little short on cash, squiddo." - When the player does not have enough Cash.
- "What up, squiddo? Nice seeing you here in Shrimp Kicks! OK, like... WOW. Just, wow. You took this fresh stuff to a whole 'nother level. I just... can't even." - When a player at Level 20 or higher enters the shop for the first time.
- "What's kraken?" -When the player visits the Crust Bucket.
English (Europe and Oceania)
- "Hey there, squiddo! Good to see you here in Shrimp Kicks! ...Is what I WOULD be saying, if you weren't so un-FRESH. For reals, dude, do you even battle? You gotta have that Level 4 freshness before I can help you. Sorry, but them's the rules! You know how to up your level, right? Just go to the Lobby and do some Turf Wars! No biggie!" - When a player below Level 4 enters the shop.
- "Hey there, squiddo! Good to see you here in Shrimp Kicks! And you are looking kinda slick there! You've been battling, am I right? Lemme see what I can do you for. Just so you know, all the stuff I'm selling comes with sweet abilities attached, no extra change! If you don't know about abilities, just press [home] and check out the manual. Got that, squiddo?" - When a player at Level 4 or higher enters the shop for the first time.
When a player below Level 4 enters the shop:
- 「エビスシューズに いらっしゃ～い！ ……ってアレアレ？ キミ、まだイカしてないじゃん！ もうちょっと アゲてから来てね アゲてからね！ ランク4まで アゲアゲで来てくれれば ちょっとはイカしてる ってカンジじゃん？ アゲるには アレね、ロビーに行ってから ナワバリバトルね！ ちょっとバトれば すぐ アガるからね」
- (Welcome to Shrimp Kicks! ……Well, what? You're still not fresh! Come again after you get more oomph, oomph! If you come again after you get upon level 4, you'd be little fresh, huh? What you'll do about getting your level up is, entering the lobby and the Turf War! You'll soon get up as you battle a bit.)
When a player at Level 4 or higher enters the store for the first time:
- 「エビスシューズに いらっしゃ〜い！ お！ ちょっとイカしてんじゃん！ ウチのクツ はいたら、さらにアゲアゲ！ それぞれのギアには バトルでテンションアゲアゲのギアパワーがついてるし くわしくは、を押して 「？」説明書を 確認って感じでヨロシク〜！」
- (Welcome to Shrimp Kicks! Oh! You're pretty fresh, huh? Well, my shoes'll be givin' you even more oomph than you already got! They've all got abilities to put you at the top of your game during battle. Just press and hit that 「？」, it'll tell you all about 'em. Peace!)
When the player selects a piece of clothing:
- (You feelin' that?)
- When the player purchases a piece of clothing:
- (Wanna equip it?)
- After the player chooses whether to equip a new piece of clothing:
When the player does not have enough Cash:
- (You don't got enough money!)
- "What's kraken?!" - When the player goes to the truck.
- "What'll it be?" - While the player selects an item.
- "No ticket, no order! Sorry, I don't make the rules. Actually, that's a lie, but you still gotta have a ticket." - When the player selects an item but does not have the desired ticket.
- "Fry this up?" - After the player has selected an item.
- "Peace!" - When the player is about to leave.
- "Woah there! You still got effects going from your last meal! If I fry up somethin' else for ya, you'll lose your current effect and get a new one instead. Is that cool?" -When the player selects an item but still has active effects.
- Prior to the version 3.1.0 update:
- "What's kraken, squiddo?" - When the player goes to the truck.
- "Peace, squiddo!" - When the player is about to leave.
When talking to Crusty Sean for the first time:
- "Alles blits, gup? Welkom bij Pelles Octobus! Geniet hier van een hapje of drankje om extra ervaring en geld te verdienen tijdens gevechten! Het enige wat ik daarvoor van jou wil, zijn coupons. Dus, wat mag het zijn?"
- (Everything all right, gup? Welcome to the Crust Bucket! Enjoy a snack or drink here to earn extra experience and money during battles! All I want from you for that is tickets. So, what will it be?)
When talking to Crusty Sean:
- "Alles blits, gup?"
- (Everything all right, gup?)
While selecting food and drink:
- "Wat zal het zijn?"
- (What will it be?)
- While ordering:
- "Deze, dus?"
- (This one, then?)
- After ordering or leaving:
- "Tot kijk, gup!"
- (See you later, gup!)
When the player has no tickets:
- "Zonder coupon geen bediening! Sorry, maar ik maak de regels niet. Nou ja, eigenlijk wel, maar ik moet echt eerst een coupon zien."
- (Without a ticket, no service! Sorry, but I don't make the rules. Well, actually I do, but I really need to see a ticket first.)
Crusty Sean-inspired Tableturf Battle card sleeve
- Sean's crusty coating is only a jacket, not a form of deep-frying.
- According to The Art of Splatoon, his hobbies include collecting movies and he is looking for "a cute girlfriend".
- Crusty Sean is the only shopkeeper in Booyah Base who is taller than the average Inkling. Sheldon, Jelonzo, and Annie are all shorter than the player.
- Sunken Scroll 21 of Splatoon 2 contains an image of Ebi Fry (tiger prawn deep fried in panko) with remarks referencing Sean.
- Crusty Sean was first revealed to be returning in the first full Splatoon 2 trailer and was confirmed to be Crusty Sean and not another prawn character in an interview with Hisashi Nogami for the Famitsu magazine.
- Crusty Sean can be seen in the crowd of Pearl's gig in the photo in Marina's chat room.
- Crusty Sean was on Team Order in the Chaos vs. Order Splatfest, with his reasoning being that he wanted to be on the same team as Bisk.
- Crusty Sean is most likely a fan of Turquoise October, as there are pictures of their album art taped to the Crust Bucket.
Crusty Sean comes from crusty, referring to his crusty coating, and Sean, a male given name, making a play on the word "crustacean."
Names in other languages
|From lobster, referencing his crustacean appearance|
|Dutch||Pelle||From the male given name Pelle, and pellen ("to peel", referring to the preparation of shrimp)|
|French||Omar||Name resembling homard ("lobster")|
|German||Shrimpson||From English shrimp and the given name Simpson|
|Italian||Gamberto||From gamberetto ("shrimp") and the male given name Alberto.|
|From рак rak ("cray fish")|
Transcription of English name
|Spanish||Adolfrito||From the male given name Adolfo and frito ("fried")|
|Chinese (Simplified)||阿龙 (Splatoon 3)
ā lóng (Mandarin)
鞋虾 (The Art of Splatoon)
xié xiā (Mandarin)
|From 龙虾 (lobster), similarly to his Japanese name|
ā lóng (Mandarin)
|From 龍蝦 (lobster), similarly to his Japanese name|
|Same as Japanese|
- Post from Japanese Splatoon Twitter.
- Live from Squid Research Lab: This is Crusty Sean, The owner and proprietor of...
- Live from Squid Research Lab: Crusty Sean & Bisk: Team Order...
- Squid Sisters Stories chapter 4.
- Famitsu:『Splatoon（スプラトゥーン）』開発スタッフインタビュー【デザイン編】 (Splatoon Developer's interview Design article).
- Hisashi Nogami Famitsu Interview Nintendo Everything translation.
- Splatoon 2, Squid Sisters Stories
- Pre-release material
- From the official Chinese release of The Art of Splatoon