|“||Don't get cooked... stay off the hook!||”|
— Off the Hook's catchphrase.
Pearl is one of the two members of Off the Hook, a band featured in Splatoon 2, along with Marina, that hosts their own television show, similar to the Squid Sisters from the first game. Her signature color is pink.
Pearl resembles a "pop princess" stereotype. She appears shorter and smaller in height than most Inklings. Her tentacles are shoulder length and creamy white with pink tips, and a small bang. She has light golden eyes with pale yellow pupils in the shape of a plus, and a beauty mark at the left of her lips. Like Marina, and unlike other Inklings, she has one sharp tooth in the middle at the top and bottom of her teeth, instead of the usual two. Her outfit consists of a pearly white sleeveless dress with a high collar, a slanted diamond like pattern at the bottom left, and a large golden zipper on the front with a plus-shaped hole zipped all the way, white shorts, pink tights, white, slightly platformed boots with big golden zippers that have plus shaped holes zipped up, and black soles at the bottom, black fingerless gloves, and a white crown with pink tips on her head that resembles a squid ring tooth. Her pink color will change depending on the Splatfest team she chooses, except for her crown.
In “Octo Expansion”, she wears a more hip hop attire than her pop stage outfit. She wears a golden, jeweled crown on her head, a long, golden chain necklace with a plus symbol pendant (similar to her zippers on her stage outfit) around her neck, multiple golden rings on her fingers on both of her hands, a pastel pink, baggy hoodie with yellow sleeves, and rainbow metallic platform shoes. This outfit is noted as being reminiscent of the rapper The Notorious B.I.G.
Personality and Traits
Pearl speaks rather bluntly and uses various slang, in line with her characterization as a rapper (despite her "pop princess" appearance). Compared to her partner, Marina, Pearl is a lot more expressive, quick to jump onto a topic with a bit of a short temper, and has a knack for composing new songs as they come to her. Often times, her comments can be playfully sarcastic, playing off her co-host. Her lively attitude is most obvious if the player looks at her through the window, as she looks at them quizzically before striking a pose.
Octo Expansion reveals more of Pearl’s past. In the past, Pearl originally had little to no idea how to write music, though she insists she had her heart in the right place. She demonstrated a notably more vulgar side with her song ‘‘#$@%* Dudes Be #$@%* Sleepin’’, which garnered some fans, but never went beyond that. Upon meeting Marina by accident while practicing her voice, Pearl taught Marina the ways of Inkling society, and fully established herself upon the formation of Off the Hook.
Pearl’s voice is capable of creating massive shockwaves. Sunken Scroll 1 shows an incident in which a young Pearl destroyed various parts of the Youth Folk-Singing contest, and Marina’s Chat has a clip during a death metal concert in which glass is heard shattering. When fully warmed up and amplified by the Killer Wail, Pearl’s shockwave is concentrated into a powerful laser able to counteract a mostly-charged cannon designed to destroy all sentient life. As a result of this tremendous power, Pearl chooses to practice away from civilization, up on Mount Nantai.
Pearl is also very protective of Marina, even after being told by Cap'n Cuttlefish of Marina's true nature as an Octoling. Upon receiving the news, she remained loyal to Marina, including threatening violence against Cap'n Cuttlefish if he ever dared to splat her bandmate. She considers meeting Marina the best gift she’s ever received. Pearl is also fond of Agent 8, who she nicknames as 'Eight', happily noticing them before Marina does and striking a more flourished pose, in direct contrast to her reaction to the standard playable Inkling.
Pearl is known in Marina's chat room by the moniker MC.Princess. This name is a reference to her name in the Japanese localization, which means "princess". (Consequently, her online moniker is "MC.Princess" in the Japanese localization as well.) She, along with Marina, can help Agent 8 to skip missions and further their progress in the storyline and toward unlocking playable octolings.
- Like the Squid Sisters, she also has golden eyes with plus shaped pupils.
- Though, unlike the Squid Sisters, Pearl's pupils are lighter than her iris.
- Unlike Marina and the Squid Sisters, she has no eyelashes.
- Her main color is pink, however it sometimes can be shown with a purple tint, similar to Callie.
- According to many of her dialogs with Marina, Pearl comes from a rich family, explaining some of her attitude, appearance, and personality.
- Pearl remembers owning a ship of the same model as the Manta Maria when she was six years old.
- She owns a go-cart.
- She still gets an allowance despite having a job already.
- Her family had personal shoppers that went to MakoMart.
- Her family owns the stage Camp Triggerfish, and she designed it.
- Pearl's Japanese names, ヒメ, literally means "princess", which is why her hair accessory is shaped like a crown. Her name is actually reference to ヒメイカ, the Japanese name for the species Idiosepius paradoxus, also known as northern pygmy squid.
- The pink tips of her "crown" don't change color during a Splatfest, unlike how the Squid Sisters' main colors would completely change, even on their hair accessories.
- The sole exception is the Fries vs. McNuggets Splatfest artwork where her crown is tinted red at the tips, rather than pink. The reason for this is unknown.
- In the Warm Inner Wear vs. Warm Outer Wear Japanese splatfest artwork, Pearl is shown tossing her crown while posing like a Uniqlo model. The next artwork to be released, for the North American Sweater vs. Socks Splatfest, shows that her crown is cracked, likely from falling on the ground following the previous picture. All the following Splatfest artwork show her with a new, golden crown instead. This is not reflected on her in-game model.
- Her favorite weapon appears to be the Splat Dualies.
- Her tentacles appear to change to completely one color like other Inklings, although this is never shown in-game. This is shown in most Splatfest artworks. The same likely goes for the Squid Sisters.
- According to dialogue in the Japanese version of the game, Pearl is referred to as "senpai" by Marina. "Senpai" is an honorific used in addressing someone of an elder with the same social standing or to one of more experience in a field or trade, implying that Marina looks up to Pearl as a respectable figure who came before her; in this case, the music industry (or the Inkling world, as Marina grew up among the Octarians).
- This is also due to the fact that Pearl is older than her by three years.
- Pearl seems to have a special connection with Snapper Canal from multiple news dialogues.
- Pearl's dad use to take to her Snapper Canal to learn how to ride a bike. But according to Marina, she still uses training wheels.
- Pearl mentions a boy from school took her to Snapper Canal as a kid, but she doesn't respond to Marina the circumstances of it. This also supplements the idea that Inklings have an education system that they ditch for turf war.
- According to Marina when announcing the Warm Breakfast vs. Cold Breakfast Splatfest, Pearl has digestive issues.
- In the announcement dialog for the Agility vs. Endurance Splatfest, it is revealed that Pearl has difficulties with sitting still. She says that she starts fidgeting, if she sits still too long, and Marina comments that Pearl always walks around during recordings.
- According to concept art by Nintendo, Pearl was going to be an Octoling, but that concept was scrapped later on, in favor of her current design. It seems she was supposed to be the same age as Marina as well.
- She may be short in height due to the type of species she is, since the Northern Pygmy Squid is one of the world's smallest squid species at only 16 millimeters in length and it falls into the bobtail group, which consists of small squids.
- Her preferred personal pronoun in Japanese is アタシ, which is an informal female form commonly used by young women and girls.
- She also uses many slang terms on one hand and childish speech patterns (like replacing "sh" sounds with "ch" sounds) on the other, giving the air of a little girl trying to act tough.
- She speaks almost exclusively in the informal タメ語/タメ口/同目口 (tame-go/tame-guchi), further emphasizing her "street" style.
- Her text extends syllables very often (with the ー character compared to Marina's ～, mirroring the same difference between Callie and Marie), and she ends many sentences with the particles よ, ぜ and even ぞ, which not only makes her text read as energetic and curt, but also as if she's rapping her lines.
- Her outfit in the Octo Expansion, particularly her crown, gives a resemblance to rapper The Notorious B.I.G.
- Both Marina and Pearl subtly break the fourth wall during one of the dialogues for Blackbelly Skatepark. When Pearl says: “Hey, kids-don't spend all your time in front of the TV! Go play outside!”. Marina then responds: “But how can they play video games if they're not in front of a TV?!”, slightly breaking the fourth wall, since they are referring to the players rather than the Inklings in the audience.
- This dialogue is also a reference to the Nintendo Switch, since it is a hybrid console that can be played both in front of a TV and as a handheld.
- From the Off the Hook performance at NicoNico Chokaigi 2018, Pearl mentions Cap'n Cuttlefish (to which she calls him "Gramps") and Agent 8 before performing Nasty Majesty to which Marina saying that was confidential information.
- If you play as Agent 8 and zoom into their room in Inkopolis Square, she and Marina will show a more friendly pose than if you would play as Agent 4, seeing as they know you.
Pearl as she appears when announcing stages.
Closeup of Pearl when talking about a Splatfest.
Pearl's dialogue icon, as it appears in the SplatNet 2 app.
Pearl, aka MC Princess's dialogue icon in Octo Expansion.
Pearl in a more Octoling-like style.
Names in other languages
|From Hozukius emblemarius, a type of rockfish; from Hime-ika (Japanese for northern pygmy squid)|
|Dutch||Lorelei||Named after the mythical character Lorelei, a siren whose beauty and song unwittingly distracted shipmen, causing them to crash their ships.|
|From жемчуг (zhemchug), which means pearl|
Nickname by Marina ("Pearlie" in English)
|Katakana rendering of 先輩 (Senior[note 1])|
|Dutch||Lore||Short for Lorelei|
|French||Ma petite Perle
Ma pauvre Perle[note 2]
|My little Pearl
My poor Pearl
|German||Perlalein[note 3]||Little Pearl|
|Italian||Alghina[note 3]||Little Pearl|
|Spanish (NOA)||Perlita||Little Pearl|
|Italian||RoyAlga MC||From "royal" and "Alga", the latter being Pearl's name in the Italian version of Splatoon 2.|
|From перл (perl), meaning 'pearl', and from ловка (lovka), meaning deft or skilled.|
- Check the Trivia section for a more detailed explanation.
- Some NOE quotes
- Off the Hook - Live at the Splatoon European Championship
- North America
- Splatoon 2 Art Book
Characters in Splatoon 2