Splatoon 2 (スプラトゥーン2 Supuratūn 2) is a third-person shooter developed and published by Nintendo for the Nintendo Switch console, and the sequel to the Wii U game Splatoon. The game builds further on the ink-based shooting mechanics introduced in Splatoon, with the general gameplay being indentical, but adds new content including new Weapons, Stages, and a new horde mode named Salmon Run.
The game was first teased on October 20, 2016 during the reveal trailer for the Nintendo Switch, and released worldwide on July 21, 2017.
Although teased with the reveal of the Switch console, Nintendo did not officially confirm this or any other game showcased in the video as being in development at the time. The title was officially unveiled on January 13th, 2017 at the Nintendo Switch Presentation in Tokyo, Japan and demos were playable at Switch hands on events. A testfire demo was playable March 24–26, 2017.
The events of the story mode take place two years after the completion of the first game's Octo Valley mode, while Cap'n Cuttlefish is on vacation with Agent 3. Callie and the Great Zapfish have disappeared and Marie recruits the player, designated Agent 4, to storm Octo Canyon in order to search for them. The Squid Sisters Stories mention the snow globe DJ Octavio was imprisoned in is shattered and Cap'n Cuttlefish's shack is smashed. This mode is set in Octo Canyon, a place similar to Octo Valley from the first game.
Like its predecessor, Splatoon 2 is a third-person shooter game focused on online multiplayer battles, in which eight players are divided into two teams of four. Players have two main forms and may switch between the two at will: their humanoid form, in which they can use weapons to spread ink and splatter opponents, and their squid form, which they can use to swim through ink at great speed and up walls, recharge the player's ink tank faster (while in their own ink), and hide in their team's ink. Players can also utilize Sub Weapons, such as Splat Bombs, and Special Weapons, such as Splashdowns.
In the primary game mode, Turf War, players are awarded points based on the amount of turf (ground) they cover in their team's ink— the team that covers the most territory within three minutes wins the match.
- Main article: Character
- Main article: Mode
- Octo Canyon
- Regular Battle
- Salmon Run
- Ranked Battle
- Splatfest Battle
- League Battle
- Private Battle
- Main article: Stage
- Main article: Weapon
- List of weapons in Splatoon 2
- List of sub weapon sets in Splatoon 2
- List of special weapon sets in Splatoon 2
Changes and additions
Splatoon 2 features both new and revamped stages, weapons (such as the Splat Dualies), special weapons (such as the Splashdown and Inkjet), and gear items, as well as additional character customization in the form of hairstyles and pants. The game also allows for local multiplayer with up to eight people. Certain elements of the Heads-Up Display have also been revamped, showing the weapons each player has and whether their Special Weapons are ready to be used.
After update version 2.0.0 the max level will be 99 (instead of 50 in the original game). After the player talks to Judd after reaching level 99 the player will have the option to restart at level ★1 and continue leveling up.
In addition to the new level cap after the update. Players will be able to change their gear without having to leave the match room.
All ranked modes from the original Splatoon returned in Splatoon 2. All three have been changed in at least one way. The Rainmaker shoots large blaster-like exploding shots instead of a large ink tornado. Splat Zones has a new HUD UI that shows how much of the zone is captured. Tower Control now has checkpoints where the tower stops for approximately 5 seconds.
Private Battles are now available for Local Multiplayer, and a new feature called LAN Play allows docked Switches to play Private Battles on a LAN without an Internet connection. A spectating mode called Spectator View has been added for Private Battles only.
New ranked mode
On December 13, 2017 in the 2.1.0 patch, the first brand-new mode for Splatoon 2 was introduced. The mode Clam Blitz was added to the Ranked Battle stage schedule, alongside Splat Zones, Rainmaker, and Tower Control.
The objective of Clam Blitz is to pick up clams, which are scattered around the stage, and deposit them into the goal near the opposing team's base. The team who scores 100 points by depositing clams, or has the most points scored when the timer runs out, wins the match.
New main weapons
- Clash Blaster
- Splat Dualies
- Dapple Dualies
- Dualie Squelchers
- Enperry Splat Dualies
- Glooga Dualies
- Flingza Roller
- Foil Flingza Roller
- Firefin Splat Charger
- Firefin Splatterscope
- Goo Tuber
- Splat Brella
- Tenta Brella
New sub weapons
An Inkling holding large multi-barrel weapons, tentatively named Tenta Missiles.
The hub for Splatoon 2: Inkopolis Square.
An Inkling in a new neon Octo Canyon level.
Official art of Salmon Run.
- From July 5, to July 17, 2017 Nintendo of Denmark held a competition with fifteen winners of the prize of four tickets to LEGOLAND valid through the 2017 season. The contestants had to mail in the right answer to the question: "Which colorful shooting-game releases on the 21st July [the same year] for the Nintendo Switch?" and write "Sommerkonkurrence" (summer competition) as the topic to email@example.com. Three options were given: Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo Switch, Pokkén Tournament DX, or Splatoon 2. The right answer was Splatoon 2. The competition was concluded on the 17th and the winners were contacted through mail.
- Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo Switch did not exist at the time of this contest and Pokkén Tournament DX was released on September 22, 2017.
- Official Japanese Splatoon 2 Website
- Official American English Splatoon 2 website
- Official European English Splatoon 2 website
- Official Australian Splatoon 2 website
- Announcement of Nintendo Switch launch in Taiwan
- Announcement of Nintendo Switch pre-order date in Korea
- Nintendo Direct
- First Look at Nintendo Switch
- Nintendo fans pick apart Switch reveal video
- Splatoon 2 - Nintendo Switch Presentation 2017 Trailer
- Splatoon 2 boxart, screenshots, fact sheet
- Live from Squid Research Lab: Local Multiplayer and LAN Play
- Sommerkonkurrence! Nintendo.dk