The Sting Ray is a Special Weapon in Splatoon 2. When activated, it allows the Inkling to fire a continuous laser that shoots through walls. To balance this the turning is slow and delayed by 0.7 seconds. However, the user can stop firing the weapon to move the camera freely. When not firing, the player can see silhouettes of opponents on the map. The player can then continue firing.
The Sting Ray shoots a laser-like beam of ink that pierces walls, which deals 2 damage per frame while it makes contact with an Inkling. While it has excellent range and can hurt Inklings hiding behind cover, the beam is narrow and easy to evade. Inklings using the Sting Ray can move normally while firing it, but they turn very slowly when doing so.
When the Sting Ray is readied, the silhouettes of opponents become visible through walls as if Thermal Ink was active, ostensibly for ease in targeting.
|“||Hold down to fire a high-pressure jet of ink that can blast through walls. You can't change direction quickly while firing this. When not firing, you can see the location of opponents on the other side of walls.||”|
— In-game Description
- The Sting Ray has poor ink coverage, and is generally better for splatting enemies.
- Using the Sting Ray on the player with the Rainmaker or the Rainmaker's shield allows better objective control.
- Quickly swimming away from the Sting Ray's beam is generally the best way to avoid getting splatted, as users turn relatively slowly while the Sting Ray is active.
- Tenta Missiles are seen as a counter to Stingray and a Stingray a counter to Tenta-Missiles, both specials have low mobility, becoming easy targets
- You can change into squid form while using the Stingray, allowing more mobility. This can help the user run away from Tenta Missiles or other players.
- ▲ Buffed compared to the Sting Ray in the Splatoon 2 Global Testfire. Players can now stop firing the beam and can see Inklings through walls.
- ▲ Firing the Sting Ray continuously for 1.5 seconds will cause a shock wave to appear around the ink blast, significantly increasing its damage radius.
- ▲ Extended firing duration by .5 seconds (firing duration when using the maximum amount of Special Power Up remains unchanged).
- ▲ Opponents behind stage objects will be revealed when the Sting Ray’s beam is roughly 23% further away from them than it was previously.
- ▲ Increased damage dealt to opposing Ballers when shooting ink by roughly 100%.
- The Sting Ray's name is a reference to the real life marine animal of the same name.
- The Sting Ray appears to resemble a pressure washer, mainly a gas powered one, hinted at by the ambient sounds the weapon makes when not firing.
An Inkling using the Sting Ray.
Names in other languages
|Dutch||Magistraal||From masterly (also a play on straal (beam))|
|French||Pigmalance||From pigment and lance (throw)|
|German||Hochdruckverunreiniger||High-Pressure Polluter (play on Hochdruckreiniger (high-pressure cleaner))|
|Italian||Baccalaser||From baccalà (italian for salt cod) and laser|
|From струя struya (jet, stream)|
|Spanish||Rayo tintódico||Inktodic Ray|