Suction Bombs bear a strong resemblance to a can of spray paint, but with a black suction cup connected to the nozzle. The bomb changes color depending on the player's ink color. On the suction cup are small dots that change color depending on the player's ink color. On the can are two white dots with black dots inside of them, representing eyes. The body of the bomb has some Inkling text on it, as well.
Suction Bombs can be thrown and are able to attach to virtually any surface, including walls and ceilings. After 2 seconds, they explode in a burst of ink. Throwing a Suction Bomb will use up 70% of player's ink tank under normal circumstances, just like the Splat Bomb. They will also immediately explode upon contact with the Rainmaker's shield or a Splash Wall.
The main differences between the Splat Bomb and Suction Bomb are as follows.
- Splat Bomb explodes 1 second after touching the floor, while the Suction Bomb explodes 2 seconds after touching any surface.
- Splat Bombs have a radius of roughly 0.75 lines for dealing 180.0 damage and beyond that another 0.75 lines for dealing 30.0 damage (total radius is 1.5 lines for damage). To make up for its longer timer, the Suction bomb has a larger range of 1.0 lines for dealing 180.0 damage, and an additional 0.75 lines for dealing 30.0 damage (total radius is 1.75 for dealing damage)
- Splat Bomb will ink a radius of roughly 0.75 lines. Suction Bombs will ink a radius of roughly 1 line.
|“||As their name implies, Suction Bombs stick to any vertical or horizontal surface they touch before exploding after a short delay, spreading ink over a wide area. These devices have a slightly longer fuse than Splat Bombs - the base of the Suction Bomb flashes repeatedly just before it explodes. The ink coverage of a Suction Bomb is similar to a Splat Bomb, but their ability to stick to surfaces allows you to plant them in spots your enemies might not suspect. Instead of tossing them on the ground, stick them to walls, just above an opponent's eye level - opponents are less likely to expect explosives on walls.||”|
— Splatoon Prima Guide
As Suction Bombs can be used to herd an opponent into a vulnerable position, it is important to be able to continue firing after using the bomb and fully capitalize on the battlefield control provided by the Suction Bomb. The 70% ink consumed by the Suction Bomb makes it desirable to use the ink management abilities Ink Saver (Main) and Ink Saver (Sub). The charts below show the combinations needed to achieve particular shot counts after using a Suction Bomb. Alternatively, a combination of Ink Recovery Up and Ink Saver (Sub) is useful if the player just wants to throw more bombs, as opposed to throwing a bomb and then using the main weapon. After deploying a Suction Bomb, there is a 1 second delay before ink can be refilled again. With 3 mains and 2 subs of Ink Saver (Sub), 2 Suction Bombs may be deployed with one full ink tank.
Official art of an Inkling with two Suction Bombs and a Tentatek Splattershot.
Art for Splatoon's first anniversary, with an Inkling (far right) with a Suction Bomb.
Concept art of various Sub Weapons, with the Suction Bomb at the left.
The Suction Bomb returns in Splatoon 2.
|“||A bomb that sticks to walls or the ground.
It takes longer to explode than a Splat Bomb, but it has a larger blast radius.
Suction Bomb Mem cake.
For competitive tips about the Suction Bomb
|View the strategy page.|
- The Suction Bomb's design is based off of a spray paint can attached to a plunger.
- The Suction Bomb's ability to attach to surfaces before detonating is analogous to Stickybombs from Team Fortress 2.
- The suction bomb appears as if it has eyes. In the final boss of Splatoon 2, the bombs thrown out have eyes resembling the eyes of Callie's Splatfest team's Power.
- There are no weapons paired with Suction Bomb that have Sting Ray or Booyah Bomb.
Names in other languages
|Suction Cup Bomb|
|French||Bombe gluante||Sticky Bomb|
|German||Haftbombe||From haften (to stick) and Bombe (bomb)|
|Italian||Appiccibomba||From appiccicoso (sticky) and bomb|
|Russian||Бомба на присоске
Bomba na prisoske
|Spanish (NOA)||Bomba pegajosa||Sticky Bomb|
|Spanish (NOE)||Bomba ventosa||Suction Bomb|