The Hydra Splatling must be charged up to fire a continuous spray of ink, like all splatlings. It distinguishes itself from the others by having the longest range and slowest charge time. It is the only splatling capable of splatting opponents with three ink bullets, as it has an exclusive high-damage feature that activates when the weapon is fully charged. The Hydra Splatling's weight class is heavyweight, so mobility will be impaired when it is equipped, even when not attacking with the weapon. Each full charge consumes 35% of the ink tank capacity, allowing players to fire only two full charges (or five half charges) before needing to refill their ink supply.
The Hydra Splatling take 1.8 seconds to reach the first level of charge, and 2.25 seconds in total to reach the second level of charge. Once the first level of charge is reached, the Hydra Splatling will fire for 1.6 seconds, and once the second level of charge is reached, it will fire for 3.2 seconds.
An Inkling charging up the Hydra Splatling. (behind)
A close-up of an Inkling holding the Hydra Splatling.
- The Hydra Splatling is a heavyweight weapon.
- The full charge ink consumption of 35% allows players to fully charge 2 times before needing to refill the ink tank.
- When charging the weapon, it will take 120 frames in order to charge its first ring and 150 frames in total for a full charge.
- With a single ring charged, it will have a firing duration of 120 frames. With a full charge, it will have a firing duration of 240 frames.
- When firing, it has a fire rate of 4 frames between shots.
- When firing, the player's movement speed is set to 0.6 units per frame.
- When charging, the player's movement speed is set to 0.4 units per frame.
- After firing, there is a 40 frame cooldown before the ink tank starts refilling.
- If a shot is in the air for more than 11 frames after being fired, it loses 2 damage per frame until it reaches 16 damage at frame 19.
- Shots have a radius of 2 units.
- The angle its shots can deviate while on the ground is 3 degrees.
- The angle its shots can deviate while in the air is 6 degrees.
- The outer reticle immediately expands after jumping. After 25 frames, the outer reticle will start shrinking, and will finish shrinking after 70 frames.
- The Hydra Splatling has a 0.3% chance to shoot towards the outer reticle instead of the inner reticle.
- When jumping, the chance to shoot towards the outer reticle instead of the inner reticle is immediately set to 0.3%.
- The shot's velocity is set to 19.4 units, and decreases further as it falls to the ground.
- Ink droplets occur every 235 units.
- The frequency at which ink drips from a shot occurs at a rate of 1 droplets per shot.
- There are a total of 8 different droplet patterns that can be created while firing this weapon.
- Droplets that occur within 11 units of the player have a radius of 17.5 units.
- Droplets that occur when they travel past 250 units of the player have a radius of 16 units.
- All other ink droplets have a radius of 11.2 units.
- Droplets that are far from the player and all other droplets have their radius multiplied by a value ranging from 1.5 if they fell from a height above 100 units to 1.5 if they fell from a height below 30 units.
- A fully charged Hydra Splatling has enough power to shoot down somebody using the Booyah Bomb and still have shots left to spare. Unfortunately, the window of time required to properly do this is fairly tight and requires the Hydra to have been charge preemptively.
- It takes exactly 21 shots from a fully charge Hydra Splatling to destroy the shield with an additional 3 to splat the user.
|View the quotation page.|
- At 35% of the ink capacity for full charges, the Hydra Splatling is the most ink-hungry weapon in both games.
- The 2.0.0 Nintendo Direct showed that the Hydra Splatling would have Ink Armor as its special weapon, but its special later got changed to the Splashdown
Hydra Splatling is derived from Hydra, a mythological multi-headed water monster, and a portmanteau of Splat and Gatling. Hydra may also be short for Hydrant, since the Hydra Splatling is based on a fire hydrant in design.
ハイドラント Haidoranto is derived from Hydrant and refers to a fire hydrant.
Names in other languages
|Dutch||Blusling||Portmanteau of blussen (to extinguish) and gatling|
|From Горыныч Gorinitch, legendary three headed dragon|
|Spanish (NOA)||Garabateador HD|
|Spanish (NOE)||Extintador||From Entintador (Inker) and extintor (fire extinguisher)|