This splatling works differently from other splatlings, as it does not have a consistent range when firing in short bursts. There are two stages of firing with this weapon. The first stage only lasts for a quarter ring charge, which has a range equivalent to the Splattershot Jr., fires faster compared to other splatlings, and has mobility slightly higher than the Mini Splatling. When charged more than a quarter ring, the range increases dramatically, having a range in between the Heavy Splatling and Hydra Splatling, and has perfect accuracy but fires slightly slower compared to other splatlings.
The Ballpoint Splatling has the ability to recharge itself by pressing at any time while it is firing. When recharging, the weapon maintains the property of whichever stage it was on. However, a charge exceeding 1¾ rings automatically defaults the weapon back to the first stage. Additionally, the weapon is able to maintain its stage-two charge even after it has finished firing by starting another charge within a second.
The Ballpoint Splatling has a nearly consistent charge rate for both rings. It takes 0.83 seconds to reach the first level of charge and 1.66 seconds in total to reach the second level of charge. Once the first level of charge is reached, it can fire for approximately 1.66 seconds, and once the second level of charge is reached, it can fire for approximately 3.33 seconds.
The Ballpoint Splatling appears to be a multi-color ballpoint pen with four ballpoint cartridges inside a clear cover. The body is black with the butt and the cartridges' clickers in the user's ink color and the Nouveau logo in white. When charging the weapon, the clickers, cartridges, and butt of the weapon light up in a brighter color.
- The Ballpoint Splatling is a middleweight weapon.
- The full charge ink consumption of 25% allows players to fully charge 4 times before needing to refill the ink tank.
- When charging the weapon, it will take 50 frames in order to charge its first ring and 100 frames in total for a full charge.
- With a single ring charged, it will have a firing duration of 100 frames. With a full charge, it will have a firing duration of 200 frames.
- When firing, it has a fire rate of 3 frames between shots.
- Upon reaching its second stage, it will transition to a fire rate of 5 frames between shots.
- When firing, the player's movement speed is set to 0.86 units per frame.
- When charging, the player's movement speed is set to 0.86 units per frame.
- Upon reaching its second stage, when firing, the player's movement speed is set to 0.5 units per frame.
- After firing, there is a 40 frame cooldown before the ink tank starts refilling.
- If a shot is in the air for more than 11 frames after being fired, it loses 2 damage per frame until it reaches 16 damage at frame 19.
- Shots have a radius of 2 units.
- The angle its shots can deviate while on the ground is 6 degrees.
- Upon reaching its second stage, the angle its shots can deviate while on the ground is 1 degrees.
- The angle its shots can deviate while in the air is 12 degrees.
- Upon reaching its second stage, the angle its shots can deviate while in the air is 4 degrees.
- The outer reticle immediately expands after jumping. After 25 frames, the outer reticle will start shrinking, and will finish shrinking after 70 frames.
- The Ballpoint Splatling has a 0.4% chance to shoot towards the outer reticle instead of the inner reticle.
- When jumping, the chance to shoot towards the outer reticle instead of the inner reticle is immediately set to 0.4%.
- The shot's velocity is set to 10.27 units, and decreases further as it falls to the ground.
- Upon reaching its second stage, the shot's velocity is set to 22.19 units, and decreases further as it falls to the ground.
- Ink droplets occur every 110 units.
- Upon reaching its second stage, ink droplets occur every 240 units.
- The frequency at which ink drips from a shot occurs at a rate of 1 droplets per shot.
- There are a total of 6 different droplet patterns that can be created while firing this weapon.
- Droplets that occur within 11 units of the player have a radius of 19 units.
- Upon reaching its second stage, droplets that occur within 10 units of the player have a radius of 17 units.
- Droplets that occur when they travel past 200 units of the player have a radius of 18 units.
- Upon reaching its second stage, droplets that occur when they travel past 250 units of the player have a radius of 15 units.
- All other ink droplets have a radius of 12.8 units.
- Droplets that are far from the player and all other droplets have their radius multiplied by a value ranging from 1.6 if they fell from a height above 100 units to 1.6 if they fell from a height below 30 units.
- Upon reaching its second stage, droplets that are far from the player and all other droplets have their radius multiplied by a value ranging from 1.4 if they fell from a height above 100 units to 1.4 if they fell from a height below 30 units.
An Octoling girl (right) holding the Ballpoint Splatling.
An Octoling holding the Ballpoint Splatling at Blackbelly Skatepark.
- Due to the Ballpoint Splatling's unique ability to recharge at any time, the weapon is able to maintain its full-powered second stage charge even when the player has no ink.
- The weapon still suffers from the general slower charge rate, however, but can bypass the extra slow initial charge and inferior initial range that other splatling weapons suffer from with low ink.
|View the quotation page.|
- The Ballpoint Splatling was first shown during E3 2018, as part of the announcement of updates extending until December 2018.
- The Ballpoint Splatling's stats, under the codename "Downpour", were datamined from the Version 3.0.0 data prior to its official announcement.
- Excluding rolling brushes and the rolling Carbon Roller, with enough Run Speed Up abilities, the Ballpoint Splatling's close-range firing mode has the second-highest movement speed of all weapons in Splatoon 2, maxing out at 1.2 du/f. For reference, a rolling Carbon Roller moves at 1.28du/f, and a firing Mini Splatling with a full set of Run Speed Up moves at around 1.21 du/f.
- The Ballpoint Splatling functions like a reverse Squeezer - it starts off shooting at a short range and then starts firing further and straighter.
- The shape of the Ballpoint Splatling resembles a shuttle ballpoint pen.
- The Ballpoint Splatling's fire rate in the first mode is the fastest firing weapon available in multiplayer, exceeding that of other splatlings and the Dapple Dualies' post-dodge roll fire rate, firing once every three frames. Other splatlings fire once every four frames.
- The Ballpoint Splatling's fire rate in the first mode fires faster than the game's tick rate, which sends and receives data every 3.75 frames.
- The Ballpoint Splatling shares its combination and level with the Splash-o-matic in Splatoon 2 and costs only 400 coins more.
- The Ballpoint Splatling has the fastest Inkjet possible, which can be achieved with a full Run Speed Up gear set.
クーゲルシュライバー Kūgerushuraibā is a Japanese loanword from the German Kugelschreiber, "Ballpoint pen", Kugel meaning "Ball" and Schreiber meaning "Writer".
Names in other languages
|Dutch||Stylospetling||Ballpoint Splatling[note 1]|
|French||Badigeonneur stylo||Pen painter|
|Italian||Tetrapenna||Tetra (four) pen|
|Spanish (NOA)||Garabateador PLM||Doodler PLM[note 3]|
|Spanish (NOE)||Ametrallógrafo||Machine gun writer|
- Spetling comes from spet (splat) and gatling
- Kuli is a colloquial abbreviation of Kugelschreiber (ballpoint pen)
- PLM comes from pluma (pen)