The Dynamo Roller can cover turf while in motion and can fling a large amount of ink at medium range. Compared to the Splat Roller, this roller is much slower but covers a larger area while rolling and throwing ink. It has the greatest range of all the roller class weapons, but sacrifices speed; it rolls slowly when pushed, and it takes over a second to fling ink. The slow ink-flinging windup animation leaves the player vulnerable when attacking, as no other actions may be performed while readying the fling, and it is not possible to cancel a fling once initiated. The Dynamo Roller's weight class is Heavy, so mobility will be impaired when it is equipped, even when not attacking with the weapon.
- 1 Splatoon
- 2 Splatoon 2
- 3 Quotes
- 4 Etymology
The Dynamo Roller comes in a set with the Sprinkler and Echolocator. It can only be purchased after collecting the Sunken Scroll from the Octo Valley mission Enter the Octobot King!. Each flick of the weapon consumes 20% of the ink tank capacity, allowing for 5 flings before needing to refill on ink.
- ▼ amount of time needed before the ink begins filling after swinging the roller increased.
- ▼ Players can only splat their opponents in one hit if they hit with the center of the roller.
- ▼ Opponents cannot be splatted in one hit when the player is out of ink.
- — Calculation method for damage when the roller is repeatedly swung modified.
- ▼ Special gauge loss: 50% → up to 75%
- ▼ Swim speed decreased by about 10%.
- ▼ When using the ink fling attack, decreased the central zone in which it was possible to splat an opponent with a single attack by 18%.
- ▲ Increased damage dealt when flinging ink to attack the barrier around the Rainmaker in Rainmaker mode by 12%.
- ▼ Time taken to begin recovering ink after ink fling attack: 1.17 seconds → 1.33 seconds
An Inkling at the ready with an old version of the Dynamo Roller.
An Inkling flinging ink with the Dynamo Roller at an early version of Blackbelly Skatepark.
The Dynamo Roller returns in Splatoon 2, with an minor appearance changes but significant performance changes. It comes with the Ink Mine and Sting Ray. Each flick consumes 18% of the ink tank capacity, allowing for 5 flings before needing to refill on ink. Jumping before flinging ink will perform a long-range attack, the vertical swing. The vertical swing paints a long path of ink and damages distant opponents.
- ▲ Ink consumption per flick: 20.0% → 18.0%
- ▲ Splash damage: 25–125 → 35–150
- ▼ Roll damage: 160 → 125
- ▲ Movement speed while rolling increased: 0.98 → 1.08
- ▼ When rolling you need to accelerate to max rolling speed : 0.88 → 1.08
- ▲ Extended range for dealing maximum damage to an opponent by 14%
- ▲ Increased width of ink path when using to ink the ground continuously and moving at maximum speed by roughly 13%.
- ▲ Slightly increased the width of ink coverage when using a horizontal swing from a location higher than the surrounding area.
- ▲ Increased damage dealt to opposing Ballers with either a vertical or horizontal swing by roughly 60%.
- ▲ Decreased the knock back distance when coming into contact with a roller that has run out of ink or is in mid-air.
- — Fixed an issue causing the aiming reticule to display outside the center of the screen when moving the camera and using a roller or brella-type weapon.
- ▲ In Rainmaker mode, equipping weapons such as the E-liter 4K and Dynamo Roller will no longer lower movement and swim speed while holding the Rainmaker.
- ▲ Horizontal fling and Vertical fling maximum damage: 150.0 → 180.0
- ▲ Horizontal fling indirect hit damage range expanded, the area where the damage is above 50.0 was widened by 21%
- ▲ Vertical fling indirect hit damage range expanded, the area where the damage is above 50.0 was lengthened by 11%
- ▲ Increased number of ink droplets generated by a horizontal swing, making the coverage on the area inked more consistent.
- ▲ Increased spread of ink droplets generated by a horizontal swing.
|View the quotation page.|
Dynamo Roller is derived from Dynamo and Roller. Dynamo is a type of an electrical generator, which the Dynamo Roller seems partly based on.
Names in other languages
|German||Dynaroller||Dynamo + Roller|
|Italian||Rullo dinamo||Dynamo Roller|
|Spanish (NOA)||Rodillo Pro||Pro Roller|