Once activated, the user targets a specific area of the stage by tapping it on the . The Inkstrike will then be launched to that location, creating a large tornado of Ink that splats enemies caught in it.
|“||When Inkstrike is activated, you’re prompted to choose a target area on the GamePad’s map. While choosing a target, your character remains still and is extremely vulnerable to attack, so find a safe corner before initiating Inkstrike. Once a target area is selected, a large, ink-filled missile fires off your character’s back. Upon impact, the missile unleashes a tornado of ink, swirling about and spreading ink over a wide area. This makes Inkstrike extremely effective during Splat Zones. One Inkstrike can usually contest or outright capture an enemy-held Splat Zone. If you’re on the receiving end of an Inkstrike, watch for the swirling indicator on the ground—this is your cue to escape before the missile impacts. When possible, swim away from an incoming Inkstrike—you’re taking a risk if you try to outrun the ink tornado.||”|
— Splatoon Prima Guide
The amount of turf an Inkstrike covers largely varies, but typically ranges from 80 to 100BP. Based on the area of each stage and the amount of inkable vs uninkable turf, an Inkstrike typically contributes 4-6% of the total coverage without including the base percentages earned from each Spawn Point (which is typically around 5 to 6BP).
|Stage||Area||Percentage with no turf inked||Percentage covered by Inkstrike||Theoretical area||Likelihood of inking 100BP|
|Piranha Pit||3127||0.2%||2.8% (On the ground only)||87.556||3.19%|
|Museum d'Alfonsino||2443||0.2%||3.8% (On the ground only)
7.0% (On the rotating platform in center and ground)
|Ancho-V Games||2293||0.3%||3.9% (On the normal ground only)
4.7% (On the uprising ground)
|Mahi-Mahi Resort||1948||0.3%||4.8% (On the ground only)
5.9% (On the board in center after water goes away.)
- Because using the Inkstrike prevents players from spreading ink momentarily and requires them to concentrate on the Wii U GamePad, those using an Inkstrike can be easily splatted. When using an Inkstrike, make sure to stay a safe distance away from the action, or hide behind a wall.
- When an Inkstrike is placed, a large, swirling icon will appear on the battlefield. Quickly evacuate this area to avoid being splatted.
- In ranked mode, using an Inkstrike directly on top of a Splat Zone or a Tower can turn the tide of the battle. In Rainmaker, it can easily destroy the shield or keep enemies from picking up the Rainmaker.
- In Turf War, players can use the Inkstrike as a distraction by launching it at the opponents' side of the map. To make this strategy more efficient, it is best to have clothing with the ability Special Charge Up.
- While Splatoon was in development, the Inkstrike was referred to as an Ink Tornado and caused a large dome of ink to appear, instead of the current tornado design.
- — The amount of area covered will be more consistent regardless of where it lands.
- ▲ Shortened the period of decreased character control after using the Inkstrike when equipped with Special Duration Up
- ▲ Time needed to fire after selecting the target reduced by about 33%.
- The Inkstrike was originally called "Ink Tornado", as seen in an image from before Splatoon's release.
- If one looks closely, the "5.2" in its licensing on the weapon is actually 50.
- If a location is not chosen ten seconds after activation, the Inkstrike automatically goes off around the user.
- An ATV kart based on the Inkstrike, called the Inkstriker, appears in Mario Kart 8 Deluxe .
- Though the Inkstrike does not return in Splatoon 2, a drawing of one appears on a Sunken Scroll explaining the absence of Splatoon's special weapons.
An Inkstrike being deployed in Arowana Mall.
An Inkling using an Inkstrike.
The marker for the Octostriker's version of the Inkstrike.
Concept art of various weapons, with the Inkstrike at the right.
Names in other languages
|French (NOE)||Missile tornade||Missile Tornado|
|German||Tintferno||From Tinte (ink) and Inferno.|
- Inkstrike inks both of the ground and the platform's sections. In the birdview, the ground is covered overhanging by the platform.
- It seems duplex ground, and Inkstrike inks both.
- Perhaps Inkstrike inks both of top of the board and the black ground under it.