Piranha Pit is a multiplayer stage in Splatoon and Splatoon 2. Piranha Pit is a stage located in a quarry. Many conveyor belts are located throughout, speeding up players that walk with them and slowing down players that move against them.
Piranha Pit has two defining gameplay features, being wider than it is long and having conveyor belts that move in most modes.
The stage itself consists of the spawn areas, the center, and the side areas. The right side leads to a pathway that drops down three levels before reaching the center, further right leads to a platform that leads to a smaller section with a ramp and a path leading to the center. The front of the spawn point drops down, with a conveyor belt leading directly to the center. The left has a tower that can be walked up via a slope, leading to a grated section. Further left leads to a small inkable platform that leads to the conveyor belt going to the side areas. The side area is a large platform, with a path wrapping the side of the map that leads up to the center using two conveyor belts. The center of the map contains two conveyor belts, separated by a divider, two alleys, and two small areas to the side. This is commonly the area in which most fighting takes place, as players must go through here to reach the opposing team's side camp. There is water surrounding the stage as a hazard for players who fall in.
It features ten conveyor belts in total. Two are located in the center, one in front of each spawn and three more to the left of each spawn, near each side area. Ink spread on each conveyor belt counts towards each team's score, and the ink on the conveyor belt immediately wraps around when it reaches the end of the belt. In Turf War, the percentages are calculated based on the positions of the conveyor belt at the end of the match.
In Splatoon 2, the center conveyor belts no longer touch and there is inkable space between them, with the wall separating them being removed entirely. Sponges have been added at the end of the conveyor belts that are in front of the spawn. Also, small amounts of turf in the side areas have been removed.
Ranked Battle terrain
In Ranked Battles, specifications for the terrain or placement of objects are different between the modes; these changes create new paths or new objects to take cover behind.
Piranha Pit has two Splat Zones each located in the open space immediately in front of each team's spawn point by the central conveyor belt ramps. The only way to get between the zones on ground level is through the small alleys in the center. However, from spawn or with the use of the conveyor belt ramps, players can take the slightly higher ground and have a little more freedom in how to infiltrate the opposite zone. The two conveyor belts in the side camps have also been disabled.
The Tower is located at the center of the stage between the two conveyor belt ramps where a wall would normally be. The Tower first moves towards the player's side before moving through the ground level alley to the enemy's half of the stage. From there, it travels to the edge of the middle ground before making a U-turn and reaching its goal.
In Splatoon 2, the Tower is located at the center of the map in the open space between the two conveyor belt ramps. The tower travels around the enemy's conveyor belt ramp, then travels through the enemy plaza before making U-turn and reaching the goal, which is located immediately in front of the conveyor belt leading to the enemy's spawn point.
|Checkpoint||Location||Timer (Seconds)||Progress Amount|
|1||The first checkpoint is located to the left of the enemy's conveyor belt ramp.||8|
|2||The second checkpoint is located near the bumper in the enemy's base.||6|
|3||The third checkpoint is located on the slightly elevated platform next to the decommissioned conveyor belt on the enemy's side of the map.||8|
|Some values may be inconsistent (Still acquiring data)|
The spawn point in Rainmaker is moved towards the left, next to the tower in front of the team's normal spawn position. The Rainmaker is located at the center of the stage between the two conveyor belt ramps where a wall would normally be. The Rainmaker must be taken to a goal on the far opposite side of the stage on the small island in the side camp. Many of the conveyor belts do not function in this mode, except for the ramps in the center and the ones next to each goal. Lots of boxes have been added over holes to aid in attacking the enemy team.
In Splatoon 2, the layout of Piranha Pit is changed significantly during Rainmaker. Two entirely new elevated structures only accessible from two new conveyor belt ramps have been added on top of the normally lower area. The first conveyer belt moves down while the second one goes up making it easier to get the pedestal. Spawn points are moved on top of these platforms, as well as the goal immediately in front of the spawns. The Rainmaker is located on an uninkable block at the center of the map and the conveyor belt ramps located around it must be used to grab it. All the flat conveyor belts do not function while the conveyor belt ramps are still functional. Inkrails are added to the right to get to the area of the first conveyer belt.
The clam basket is located at the edges of the central area, just before the conveyor belt ramps which lead to the lower ground and immediately in front of the tower structures located by each team's spawn point. Inkrails are added to the right of the conveyor belt ramps to allow ways to get to the clam basket. The layout looks the same as in Splat Zones.
An Inkling firing a Mini Splatling.
The Super Sea Snail on the grill is empty.
A jellyfish worker waving.
The Great Zapfish and a jellyfish in a raft.
The night sky over Piranha Pit during a Splatfest.
A Forge promo at Piranha Pit.
- Past vs. Future
- Perfect Body vs. Perfect Brain
- Barbarian vs. Ninja
- SpongeBob vs. Patrick
- World Tour vs. Space Adventure
- Mushroom Mountain vs. Bamboo Shoot Village
- Early Bird vs. Night Owl
Rainmaker (prior to Version 4.0.0).
Team Donnie on Piranha Pit.
|View the quotation page.|
- The machine in the distance is a bucket-wheel excavator, used for continuous digging in large-scale open-pit mining.
- The Great Zapfish swims in the water off to the side of Piranha Pit by a raft, and can be seen coming up to the surface occasionally.
- The internal codename for this stage in the game files is "Quarry".
- Partially due to its conveyor belts, Piranha Pit has the largest inkable area of any stage in the series.
- Callie worked part-time here before hosting Inkopolis News.
- According to a real-life Shibuya Tower exhibit on 2018, the Piranha Pit is the home to an unseen gang called "No. 9" who use yellow and black ink. They are led by an Inkling who is sympathetic to Zapfish and Octarians while hating Inklings.
- Despite being unseen, flags bearing their emblem and octopus graffiti with "no. 9" text can be seen across the Piranha Pit.
- Before Version 2.5.0, players could perform a glitch in Piranha Pit in Tower Control. The player was able to make their Inkling's body boneless with a roller-type weapon by moving it on a conveyor belt and sticking it to the Tower.
- When hacked to load in Battle Dojo, Piranha Pit lacks the conveyor belts entirely. It is unknown what causes this.
- Before Version 3.1.0, the preview image for Piranha Pit in-game and on SplatNet 2 lacked the conveyor belts, leaving only empty spots where they should have been. It was likely to be an oversight.
- The image was fixed starting with June 2018's Ranked Battle stages Twitter announcement, and then later in-game and on SplatNet 2 after the release of Version 3.1.0.
- It is the only stage returning from Splatoon with a smaller total point count than in its first appearance.
- The Inkling who owns Piranha Pit is known as the 'Lord of The Lake', and apparently meeting him is a huge honor, as evidenced by Pearl's confession of meeting him surprising Marina.
- There is a post behind the Spawn Point that have a Splat Roller and a weapon that look similar to a Splat Charger with their first game appearances.
Names in other languages
|Shottsuru (A Japanese fish sauce) Mine|
|French||Carrières Caviar||Caviar pits|
|Italian||Miniera d'Orata||Sea Bream Mine. A pun on "Miniera d'oro" (Gold Mine)|
|Spanish||Cantera Tintorera||Blue Shark Quarry. Tintorera is also a pun on tinta (ink)|