Piranha Pit is a multiplayer stage in Splatoon and Splatoon 2. Piranha Pit is a map located in a quarry. Many conveyor belts are located throughout the stage, speeding players that walk with them, and slowing players that move against them.
Piranha Pit has two defining gameplay features. The first of which is that it's a wide map with a small distance between the two spawn points compared to other maps. The second feature is that it has conveyor belts that will move in most modes.
The map itself consists of the spawn areas, the center, and the side areas. The right leads to a pathway that drops down three levels before reaching the center, further right leads to a platform that leads to a smaller section with a ramp and a path leading to the center. The front of the spawn drops down, with a conveyor belt leading directly to the center. The left has a tower that can be walked up via a slope, leading to a grated section. Further left leads to a small inkable platform that leads to the conveyor belt going to the side areas. The side area is a large platform, with a path wrapping the side of the map that leads up to the center using two conveyor belts. The center of the map contains two conveyor belts, separated by a divider, two alleys, and two small areas to the side. This is commonly the area in which most fighting takes place, as players must go through here in order to reach the opposing team's side camp. There is water surrounding the stage as a hazard for players who fall in.
It features ten conveyor belts in total; one is in front of each team's spawn point facing away from it. Two are located in the center, one in front of each spawn and three more to the left of each spawn, near each side area. Ink spread on each conveyor belt counts towards each team's score, and the ink on the conveyor belt will immediately wrap around when it reaches the end of the belt. In Turf War, the percentages are calculated based on the positions of the conveyor belt at the end of the match.
In Splatoon 2, the center conveyor belts are no longer touching and there is inkable space between them, with the wall separating them being removed entirely. Sponges have been added at the end of the conveyor belts that are in front of the spawn. In addition, small amounts of turf in the side areas have been removed.
Ranked Battle Terrain
In Ranked Battle, specifications for the terrain or placement of objects are different between the modes; these changes create new paths or new objects to take cover behind.
Piranha Pit has two Splat Zones each located in the open space immediately in front of each Team's spawn point by the central conveyor belt ramps. The only way to get between the zones on ground level is through the small alleys in the center, however from spawn or with the use of the conveyor belt ramps players can take the slightly higher ground and have a little more freedom in how to infiltrate the opposite zone. The two conveyor belts in the Side Camps have also been disabled.
The tower is located at the center of the map between the two conveyor belt ramps where a wall would normally be. The tower will first move towards your team's side before moving through the ground level alley to the enemy's half of the stage. From there the tower will travel to the edge of the middle ground before making a U-turn and reaching its goal.
In Splatoon 2, The tower will be located at the center of the map in the open space between the two conveyor belt ramps. The tower will travel around the enemy's conveyor belt ramp then travel through the enemy plaza before making U-turn and reaching the goal which is located immediately in front of the conveyor belt leading to the enemy's Spawn Point.
Checkpoints have been added:
- The first checkpoint is located to the left of the opposing team's conveyor belt ramp.
- The second checkpoint is located on the slightly elevated platform next to the decommissioned conveyor belt on the enemy's side of the map.
The Spawn Point in Rainmaker is moved towards the left next to the tower in front of the team's normal spawn position. The Rainmaker is located at the center of the map between the two conveyor belt ramps where a wall would normally be. The Rainmaker must be taken to a goal on the far opposite side of the map on the small island in the Side Camp. Many of the conveyor belts do not function in this mode, with the exception of the conveyor belt ramps in the center, and the ones next to each goal. Lots of boxes have been added over holes to aid in attacking the enemy team.
In Splatoon 2, The layout of Piranha Pit is changed significantly during Rainmaker. Two entirely new elevated structures only accessible from two new conveyor belt ramps, on top of the normally lower area of Piranha Pit. Spawn Points are moved on top of these platforms, as well as the goal immediately in front of spawns. The Rainmaker is located on an uninkable block at the center of the map, and the conveyor belt ramps located around it must be used to grab it. All the flat conveyor belts will not function while the conveyor belt ramps will still be functional.
The basket will be located at the edges of the central area just before the conveyor belt ramps which lead to the lower ground and immediately in front of the tower structures located by each team's Spawn Point. Otherwise, the layout is exactly the same as in Turf Wars.
An Inkling firing a Mini Splatling.
A top-down view of the map in Turf War.
The Super Sea Snail on the grill is empty.
In Rainmaker, the grill and chairs disappear.
A jellyfish worker waving.
The Great Zapfish and a jellyfish in a raft.
The night sky over Piranha Pit during a Splatfest.
A Forge promo at Piranha Pit.
|View the quotation page.|
- The machine in the distance is a bucket-wheel excavator, used for continuous digging in large-scale open-pit mining.
- The Great Zapfish swims in the water off to the side of Piranha Pit by a raft, and can be seen coming up to the surface occasionally.
- The internal codename for this stage in the game files is "Quarry".
- Partially due to its conveyor belts, Piranha Pit has the largest inkable area of any stage in the series.
- Prior to Version 2.5.0, it was possible for a player to perform a glitch in Piranha Pit in Tower Control game mode. the player was able to make their inkling body boneless with the roller type weapon by moving the roller in the conveyor belt and sticking it to the tower.
- When forced to load in Battle Dojo, Piranha Pit lacks the conveyor belts entirely. It is unknown what causes this.
In Splatoon 2:
- Prior to Version 3.1.0, the preview image for Piranha Pit in-game and on SplatNet 2 lacked the conveyor belts, leaving only empty spots where they should have been. It was likely to be an oversight.
- The image was fixed starting with June 2018's Ranked Battle stages Twitter announcement, and then later in-game and on SplatNet 2 after the release of 3.1.0.
- It is the only stage returning from Splatoon with a smaller total point count than in its first appearance.
Names in other languages
|Shottsuru (A Japanese fish sauce) Mine|
|French||Carrières Caviar||Caviar pits|
|Italian||Miniera d'Orata||Sea Bream Mine. A pun on "Miniera d'oro" (Gold Mine)|
|Spanish||Cantera Tintorera||Blue Shark Quarry. Tintorera is also a pun on tinta (ink)|
- Live from Squid Research Lab: We’ve received these images of Piranha Pit and...
- New map! Piranha Pit will be available for splatting tomorrow morning!. Nintendo of Europe (2015-12-28). Retrieved on 2015 December 28.
- SplatoonJP Twitter