|“||Find out who's got the freshest splatter skills in a 1 vs. 1 balloon-bursting battle.||”|
— Splatoon's official website, 
Battle Dojo is playable by two people on the same console, one using the Gamepad and its screen, and the other using the Wii U Pro Controller, Wii Classic Controller, or Wii Classic Controller Pro and the TV screen.
Once a match begins, a column of light, marking a location, appears. Players must travel to this location and shoot the seven balloons that appear after 20 seconds when the light column appears. Each balloon is worth one point, and two when there is one minute left in the match. After all seven balloons are popped or are not popped after a certain amount of time, a new light column appears. The first player to 30 points or the player with the most points after three minutes wins the round.
Canned Specials make an appearance here and will either give you a status effect, Sub Weapon or Special Weapon. These can be found by breaking open crates found in various areas around each stage. All obtainable content from the Canned Specials are used immediately opon getting them, so Specials aren't able to be stored for later use.
A list of the obtainable items and conditions from the Canned Specials are shown below.
- Super Jump: The two players swap places with eath other by Super Jumping
- Disruptor: The opposing player gets disrupted.
- Sprinkler: A Sprinkler is placed in front of the player.
- Echolocator: The opposing player position gets marked.
- Inkstrike: An Inkstrike is launched and aimed at the current location of the opposing player.
- Inkzooka: The player obtains an activated Inkzooka.
- Bubbler: The player gets an activated Bubbler.
- Full Power Up: The player gets a boost to their run speed, swim speed and ink recovery.
Only five stages are currently playable in Battle Dojo:
- Arowana Mall
- Blackbelly Skatepark
- Saltspray Rig
- Urchin Underpass (pre Version 2.0.0)
- Walleye Warehouse
Weapons and gear
There are eight weapons available in Battle Dojo. The player will be equipped with gear based on the weapon they choose, as shown in the following table.
- Multiple Pro Controllers and a Wii U GamePad can be seen inside the Battle Dojo hanging on the wall. There are three white controllers, a black controller and a white GamePad on the left side and two black controllers on the right side.
- Battle Dojo matches can also be played with a combination of Wii U Pro Controller, Wii Classic Controller or Wii Classic Controller Pro and a Wii Remote Plus or Wii Remote with a Wii MotionPlus accessory, which was hinted at in the 26th Sunken Scroll. (pictured right) This allows the player using the controller to have motion controls. To perform this, the player must hold down on the , hold down , and press and as described on the Splatoon Tumblr, Live from Squid Research Lab.
- The playable Inklings in the Battle Dojo are based off of those seen in various pieces of official art.
- During Splatfest, all the stages in the Battle Dojo are switched to nighttime.
- Stages that have been added to the game are not present in this mode. As to why is unknown.
- For unknown reasons the Urchin Underpass map has not received the changes from Version 2.0.0 like the Multiplayer map did.
Names in other languages