|“||See and be seen in this bustling city center. It's the place to hang out, gear up, and of course, join the hottest sport in town: Ink battles!||”|
— Splatoon's official website
Inkopolis was created long after Earth had been submerged by rising sea levels and its land-dwelling inhabitants, such as humans, were wiped out. After 12,000 years, octopuses and squids eventually evolved to become land-living creatures and lived together in harmony. However, all that changed when the sea levels rose again. They began fighting over the remaining habitable land in the Great Turf War which inspired the Turf War sport and Octarian rebellion when the war was concluded.
- Main article: Location
- Main article: Inkopolis Plaza
Inkopolis Plaza is the hub area of Splatoon. From here, players can access various types of modes and shops as well as interact with other players' Inklings they have battled with recently or with those who recently posted a post to Miiverse. It is the heart of Inkopolis.
- Main article: Inkopolis Square
Inkopolis Square is the hub area of Splatoon 2. Like the previous game, players can access various types of modes and shops as well as interact with other players' Inklings and Octolings they have battled with recently or with those who recently posted a post to social media. It is said that around the time of Splatoon 2, the Plaza had become a ghost town.
There are a few known other areas inside Inkopolis that the player can access:
- Shooting Range of both Splatoon and Splatoon 2
- Tutorial areas of both Splatoon and Splatoon 2
- Main article: Character
- Sheldon is a horseshoe crab and runs Ammo Knights.
- Annie is a sea anemone and runs Cooler Heads.
- Moe is a clown fish and accompanies Annie.
- Jelonzo is a Jellyfish and runs Jelly Fresh.
- Crusty Sean is a Japanese tiger prawn and runs Shrimp Kicks in Splatoon and the Crust Bucket in Splatoon 2.
- Flow is a sea slug and runs Headspace.
- Craymond is an emperor shrimp and accompanies Flow.
- Jelfonzo is a Jellyfish and runs Ye Olde Cloth Shoppe.
- Bisk is a spider crab and runs Shella Fresh.
- Spyke is a sea urchin and an alley worker.
- Murch is a sea urchin and an alley worker.
- Callie is an Inkling and one of the Squid Sisters.
- Marie is an Inkling and one of the Squid Sisters, later guiding the player in Octo Canyon.
- Pearl is an Inkling and an Off the Hook member.
- Marina is an Octoling and an Off the Hook member.
- Cap'n Cuttlefish is an elderly Inkling and guides the player in the single-player modes Octo Valley in Splatoon and the Octo Expansion in Splatoon 2.
- The Great Zapfish is the power-source of Inkopolis.
- Judd is a cat and the multiplayer referee of Splatoon and Splatoon 2.
- Li'l Judd is a kitten and the multiplayer referee of Splatoon 2.
- Inkopolis exists approximately 12,000 years in the future of current-day Earth after excessive flooding of the planet has occurred.
- A glitch allows players to go out of bounds in Inkopolis Plaza and explore. The back of the amiibo case can be found, where the words are written in Inkling.
- The layout and design of Inkopolis is based on the city of Shibuya in Tokyo, Japan.
- A plane will occasionally fly over Inkopolis Plaza, suggesting it may be located near an airport.
- Sometimes when a train stops in Inkopolis Plaza, the Calamari County anthem, Calamari Inkantation, can be heard.
- The colors of the chairs that Callie and Marie sit on in the studio reflect the ink colors of the player's last match or the colors of the current Splatfest. The main color is the opponents' color, with arrows in the player's team color. The train that goes around Inkopolis will have a paint job that matches the neutral color value of the player's previous match. These include the colors of barriers, wall tops and other objects.
- In the games, it is impossible to use weapons in Inkopolis. However, in the Splatoon manga, Goggles, Rider and Headphones are seen swimming through ink trails in Inkopolis, while Rider was seen performing an ink flick on Goggles.
Inkopolis seen when starting Splatoon.
An Inkling in the Plaza.
The Squid Sisters billboard.
The Squid Squad billboard.
Close-up of Inkopolis Tower.
Judd sleeping in the Plaza.
Concept art of Judd, showing different ideas for how he would laze about in Inkopolis.
Concept art of Cap'n Cuttlefish, showing different ideas for his manhole in Inkopolis at the lower left.
Concept art of various objects at Urchin Underpass, some of which also appear in Inkopolis Plaza.
Inkopolis can be viewed from Octo Valley.
Inkopolis Plaza day before a Splatfest.
Miiverse posts as neon signs in the Plaza during a Splatfest.
Inklings dancing in the Plaza during a Splatfest.
Judd dancing during a Splatfest.
The view of Inkopolis from Blackbelly Skatepark during a Splatfest.
The view of Inkopolis from Hammerhead Bridge during a Splatfest.
Names in other languages
|Trendy city. (ハイカラ means 'high collar'.) Also a pun on Ika (squid) and color.|
|Dutch||Inkopolis||Same as English name|
|French||Chromapolis||From Latin chroma (color) and the Greek word polis (city)|
|German||Inkopolis||Same as English name|
|Italian||Coloropoli||From colore (color) and the Greek word polis (city)|
|From ink and поль pol', common ending for Russian towns|
|Spanish||Cromópolis||From chroma, Latin for color, and polis, Greek for city. Also from cromo (chrome)|