|“||See and be seen in this bustling city center. It's the place to hang out, gear up, and of course, join the hottest sport in town: Ink battles!||”|
— Splatoon's official website
Inkopolis was created long after Earth had been submerged by rising sea levels and its land-dwelling inhabitants were wiped out. Octopi and squids eventually evolved and began fighting over habitable land in the Great Turf War, inspiring the Turf War sport and Octarian rebellion.
- Main article: Inkopolis Plaza
Inkopolis Plaza is the hub world of Splatoon. From here, players can access various types of modes and shops as well as interact with other player Inklings they've battled with recently. It is the heart of Inkopolis.
To the left of the main entrance is Booyah Base, a mall in which the player can buy gear from. The stores in this mall are Ammo Knights, the weapon shop, Cooler Heads, the headgear shop, Jelly Fresh, the clothing shop, and Shrimp Kicks, the shoe store. Each shop has a charismatic Shop Keeper, and each one represents a different type of marine life. They are Sheldon, Annie (and Moe), Jelonzo, and Crusty Sean. There is also a manhole in the far right corner where Octo Valley is accessed. Other areas include one of the alleyways where Spyke can be found, the Arcade Machine across from the Booyah Base, and the amiibo machine which can be found towards the back.
After battling with other players online, their Inklings will temporarily appear in the player's plaza. Their name, level, rank, gear, and Miiverse post (if present) can all be seen by examining them with . From there the player can also order their gear from Spyke.
Inkopolis Plaza features two large statues; being a Tanuki and a Fox. The Fox is on top of Booyah Base whereas the Tanuki is on top of the studio for the Squid Sisters. The animals depicted on these statues were the two sides of the second Japanese Splatfest.
There are also three speakers, aside from the ones infront of Inkopolis Tower, that play different tunes. One can be found by Booyah Base and the other two can be found to the left and right from the back of the plaza.
- Inkopolis Tower - Inklings can compete in online multiplayer battle modes.
- Battle Lobby - Inklings can choose a mode category to play.
- Octo Valley manhole - Inklings can play Octo Valley singleplayer missions.
- Arcade Machine - Inklings can play the Squid Jump, Squid Racer, Squidball, and Squid Beatz mini-games.
- Battle Dojo building (second floor) - Inklings can access the 1v1 local multiplayer Battle Dojo mode.
- Spyke alley - Inklings can talk to Spyke, who can upgrade gear for Super Sea Snails or Cash.
- amiibo area - Inklings can play amiibo challenges with the Splatoon amiibo figures.
- Miiverse mailbox - Inklings can post to the Splatoon Miiverse community.
- Inkopolis News studio (second floor) - Inklings can see the Squid Sisters' studio.
- Inkopolis Café - A café located under the Squid Sisters' studio.
- Pledge Box (during Splatfest) - Inklings can choose Splatfest team.
- Booyah Base - A local mall comprised of a variety of gear shops.
- Main article: Inkopolis Square
- amiibo area - Players can save customized gear, weapons, and settings to amiibo figure.
- Deca Tower - In the northern most part of Inkopolis Square, it is where Inklings can choose a multiplayer mode to play.
- Octo Canyon manhole - Inklings can play Octo Canyon singleplayer missions.
- Grizzco Industries - Down the alley just to the left of Deca Tower is the entrance and service booth for Grizzco.
- The Shoal - Inklings can choose a local wireless or LAN mode for a private battle or Salmon Run.
- Message Mailbox - Inklings can post art to be displayed around the city.
- Off the Hook Studio - Located next to The Shoal. Find Off the Hook there.
- Selfie Spot - A popular spot in Inkopolis Square where Inklings take selfies with others including amiibo.
- Inkopolis Plaza Café - A café located just on the right side of Deca Tower. Spyke can be found inside on his laptop.
- Arcade Machine - Inklings can play the Squid Beatz here.
- Food Truck - A food vending truck run by Crusty Sean.
- Headspace - Headgear shop run by Flow and Craymond.
- Ye Olde Cloth Shoppe - Clothing shop run by Jelfonzo.
- Shella Fresh - Shoe shop run by Bisk.
- Annie, sea anemone and Cooler Heads store co-owner
- Cap'n Cuttlefish, elderly guide
- Crusty Sean, Japanese tiger prawn and Shrimp Kicks store owner
- The Great Zapfish, power-source of Inkopolis
- Jelonzo, Jelly Fresh store owner
- Judd, multiplayer referee
- Li'l Judd, multiplayer referee
- Moe, clown fish and Cooler Heads store co-owner
- Sheldon, horseshoe crab and Ammo Knights store owner
- Spyke, alley worker
- Callie, Squid Sisters member
- Marie, Squid Sisters member
- Flow, sea slug and Headspace store co-owner
- Craymond, cray fish and Headspace store co-owner
- Jelfonzo, Ye Olde Cloth Shoppe store owner
- Bisk, spider crap and Shella Fresh store owner
- Pearl, Off the Hook member
- Marina, Off the Hook member
There are a few known other areas inside Inkopolis that the player can access:
There are also a few known locations outside Inkopolis that the player can access:
- According to the Sunken Scrolls, it would seem Inkopolis exists approximately 12,000 years in the future of current-day Earth after excessive flooding of the planet has occurred.
- A glitch allows players to go out of bounds in Inkopolis Plaza and explore. The back of the amiibo case can be found. The words are written in Inkling.
- The layout and design of Inkopolis is based on the city of Shibuya in Tokyo, Japan.
- A plane will occasionally fly over Inkopolis Plaza suggesting it may be located near an airport.
- Sometimes when a train stops in Inkopolis Plaza, the Calamari County anthem, Calamari Inkantation, can be heard.
- The colors of the chairs, Callie and Marie sit on in the studio reflect the ink colors of the player's last match, or the colors of the current Splatfest. The main color is the opponents' color, with arrows in the player's team color. The train that goes around Inkopolis will have a paint job that matches the neutral color value of the player's previous match. These include the colors of barriers, wall tops and other objects.
Inkopolis seen when starting Splatoon.
An Inkling in the Plaza.
The Squid Sisters billboard.
The Squid Squad billboard.
Close-up of Inkopolis Tower.
Judd sleeping in the Plaza.
Concept art of Judd, showing different ideas for how he would laze about in Inkopolis.
Concept art of Cap'n Cuttlefish, showing different ideas for his manhole in Inkopolis at the lower left.
Concept art of various objects at Urchin Underpass, some of which also appear in Inkopolis Plaza.
Inkopolis can be viewed all the way from Octo Valley.
Inkopolis Plaza day before a Splatfest.
Miiverse posts as neon signs in the Plaza during a Splatfest.
Inklings dancing in the Plaza during a Splatfest.
Judd dancing during a Splatfest.
The view of Inkopolis from Blackbelly Skatepark during a Splatfest.
The view of Inkopolis from Hammerhead Bridge during a Splatfest.
Names in other languages
|Trendy city. (ハイカラ means 'high collar'.) Also a pun on Ika (squid) and color.|
|French||Chromapolis||From Latin chroma (colour) and the Greek word polis (city)|
|German||Inkopolis||Same as English name|
|Italian||Coloropoli||From colore (color) and the Greek word polis (city)|
|From инк ink, ink, and поль pol', common ending for Russian towns|
|Spanish||Cromópolis||From chroma, Latin for color, and polis, Greek for city. Also from cromo (chrome)|