Manta Maria is a large ship with the spawn points located at the bow and stern of the ship. The areas closest to the spawn feature varying heights including steep drop-offs. Following the path to the right leads to an upper area that oversees the central band of the ship. Going straight from the spawn leads to a structure that can be climbed on to get a vantage on the central area and a hallway that leads to the lower portion of the central area. Distinguishing features of the stage include three large masts in each team's base and at the center of the stage which are accessible by netted walkways which overlook the stage. The key point of this stage is the offensive and defensive battle around the three huge masts and the area covered in netting. It is possible to get to the opponent's spawn area by swimming up a wall and jumping to the other side.
Ranked Battle terrain
Manta Maria features two Splat Zones. The Splat Zones are located at parallel sides of the central area surrounding the mast. The layout has been unchanged from Turf War.
The Tower is located at the center of the stage and replaces the bottom half of the mast. The goal is located right at the drop off of the enemy spawn point. The Tower travels down the hallways leading into the enemy base, then lower down into their area and forwards until it is up against the opposing team's raised platform. Additional blocks have been added to make it easier to access the whole map and enter the opposing team's side.
- The first checkpoint is located just before the ramp leading to the enemy's team's narrow hall.
- The second checkpoint is located in the enemy's narrow path before the tower descends into the enemy area.
- The third checkpoint is located in the enemy's mosh pit after descending from the narrow path before the goal.
The Rainmaker is located at the center of the stage and replaces the bottom half of the mast. The goal is located right at the drop off of the enemy spawn point. The layout of the stage is similar to Tower Control, but some of the blocks have been removed, and a new sponge has been added in the main path. Players can try to run into the enemy base through the main path accessible in Turf Wars or take an additional route to the left.
The baskets are located behind each team's structure past the narrow hall leading into their base. The only changes made to this mode is the inkable block that allows access to the right side of the enemy's spawn, which is present in Tower Control and Rainmaker. This layout of the stage provides three primary routes to reach the basket. The right path is the most direct, having players jump over an opening and going directly to the basket. The center path leads through the hallways leading into the enemy base. The left path allows players to sneak behind enemy lines and circle back to the basket.
Manta Maria was the first regular stage to be added to Splatoon 2 after launch. The stage was revealed, though briefly shown, in the Splatoon 2 Nintendo Direct on 6 July 2017, before an official name and release date were revealed on 22 August 2017. The stage was released on 26 August 2017 at 02:00 UTC.
Jellyfish viewing the boat from ashore.
A promotional image for the ship, CHIKYU, appearing in the background as part of the JAMSTEC collaboration.
The CHIKYU in the distance, behind an Inkling boy.
|View the quotation page.|
- The stage's name is a reference to manta rays and to Christopher Columbus's ship, Santa María.
- The ship in this stage is the same model as one Pearl received for her sixth birthday.
- The internal code name for this stage in the game files is "Pillar".
- Marina says that the ship has been decommissioned, which could explain why the stage is used for Turf Wars.
- Manta Maria is the only stage where the promotional picture is taken in the background and not the stage itself.
- In the Promo picture, a Jellyfish can be seen walking across the mast.
- During a Splatfest Battle shooting stars can be seen streaking across the sky.
- Manta Maria is one of four multiplayer stages to appear in the Octo Expansion, alongside Snapper Canal, Port Mackerel, and Starfish Mainstage.
- According to The Art of Splatoon 2, there is an Octarian ship near Manta Maria that is disguised as a squid fishing ship and is used to gain intel on the Inklings.
Names in other languages
Manta Maria gō
|The Manta María|
|Dutch||Klipvisklipper||Salted Cod Clipper|
|French||Manta Maria||Manta Maria|
|German||Manta Maria||Manta Maria|
|Italian||Manta Maria||Manta Maria|
|Spanish||Corbeta Corvina||Brown meagre corvette|