A grate, or mesh, is a terrain feature in Splatoon.
Grates are ink-resistant metal bars that can be laid both vertically or horizontally. Inklings can pass through them in squid form, though while in humanoid form, they are able to walk on them without passing through.
In multiplayer modes, grates are used as a natural territory barrier so players must transform into a squid to pass. Grates can also be used to ambush enemy players who are not expecting an attack from above them. In Octo Valley, grates should be explored as they often lead to hidden areas with Sunken Scrolls or additional Power Eggs.
List of Appearances
- Cap'n Cuttlefish occasionally peeks out of a grated manhole in Inkopolis Plaza. This is also where players enter Octo Valley.
- Grates allow players to travel inside Kettles in Octo Valley.
- In Arowana Mall, grated side walkways can be used to reach higher ground and attack enemies with chargers. However, falling through many of these grates will cause players to land in water.
- Blackbelly Skatepark contains small, rectangular areas next to the central tower that are guarded by fences. These fences act as grates, and can only be passed through when in squid form.
- Bluefin Depot utilizes many grated features, including grated walkways leading to teams' bases, and small, grated platforms used to access the stage's lower areas. Becoming a squid while standing on any of these grates will cause players to fall into water.
- Hammerhead Bridge heavily features grates throughout the map. The grates are connected to several raised platforms, effectively working as a bridge on top of the rest of the stage.
- Kelp Dome encourages players to heavily rely on grated walkways that lead to the center area. These walkways serve as popular spots to ambush enemies and infiltrate the opposing team's territory.
- Saltspray Rig includes a mobile grated platform attached to a crane. It allows players to ink the large, top area from a safe distance.
- In Urchin Underpass, the fastest way to enemy territory is guarded by a large, metal fence. Both side passages are also blocked by grates on the sides nearest each team's base.
- Walleye Warehouse uses grates in a minor way, allowing players to travel to different elevations quickly.
- In the centre of Flounder Heights, a grate connects the two highest parts of the map.
- In Camp Triggerfish, there are some grates and also walkways made of rope. Those act like grates.
- There are spinning art display stands at Museum d'Alfonsino which can be climbed up in squid form. There are grates to stand on attached to it.
- Grates do not show up on the GamePad map.
- Going out of Squid form whiles in the middle of the grate will push the inkling.
- Kraken's will also be able to go through grates.
Names in other languages