|“||Hello, hello! What kind of weapon are you in the market for?||”|
— When the player enters Ammo Knights
Sheldon has brown eyes and buck teeth, and because he is a horseshoe crab, his helmet is the shell of that species of chelicerate. Sheldon wears a military jacket and boots, as well as a red scarf and a red belt. Sheldon also has what appears to be brass binoculars that he seems to use as glasses.
Personality and traits
Sheldon is a military fanatic from a well-respected family who is fascinated with his weapons. When talking to Sheldon inside his shop, if you have unlocked any new weapons, he will enthusiastically tell you all about them in great detail. He has developed nearsightedness due to staying up late every night tinkering with weapons and small parts, causing him to be rejected from the military for his extremely poor eyesight. Undaunted, he decided to start a business selling weapons out of his own home, and Booyah Base was eventually built on the same land upon which that home stood. However, it was not Sheldon but his grandfather, Ammoses Shellendorf, who owned the land. In Splatoon 2, he seems to have improved his skills in creating weapons as he is now able to create new versions of the Hero weapons as well as upgrade them with a machine he made as well. When the Hero Replicas are available to be purchased, instead of saying he could not replicate the technology like in the first game, he says that the weapon was not able to be mass produced by "the guys at the factory".
Sheldon's version of DJ Lee Fish's song Lookin' Fresh is more distant, showing his separation from the others as a weapons dealer. It also has static and other sounds reminiscent of a military radio, as a reference to his obsession with the military.
|View the quotation page.|
- Sheldon's name plays on the word shell. This can refer to both an ammunition shell the shells of horseshoe crabs.
- Ammoses Shellendorf, Sheldon's grandfather (or 'Grandpappy' as he calls him in the game), was part of the original Squidbeak Splatoon, led by Cap'n Cuttlefish.
- Sheldon appears to be missing eight eyes compared to real horseshoe crabs. It is possible that he is wearing something over his shell which would hide the extra eyes.
- One of Callie and Marie's conversations in Octo Canyon ask whether if Sheldon is part of the New Squidbeak Splatoon or not. Marie says that he was invited, but he says that the "tech team" has to keep its distance from the front lines; neither Callie nor Marie know what this means.
- Sheldon's design seems to be inspired by the Boy Scouts of America, as seen in the khaki shirt and neckerchief in his design in Splatoon and the diamond arrangement of badges in Splatoon 2, which have the same colors and arrangement as those of a Cub Scout.
- Sheldon was neutral for the Chaos vs. Order Splatfest, as he cares little about the fate of Inkopolis as long as he can continue building ink-based weaponry.
Names in other languages
|From buki (Japanese for arms)|
|Dutch||Krabbert||From krab, crab, and Bert, Dutch given name|
|German||Arty||English diminutive for Arthur, also from Artillerie, artillery|
|Italian||Armand||From arma (weapon) and armando, a male name.|
|Russian surname that is derived from пушка pushka, or, more likely, combination of that word and name of the great Russian poet "Alexander Pushkin" , gun|
Transcription of English name
|Spanish||Jairo||Spanish given name|
|From 武器 (Weapon) and 鲎 (Horseshoe crab)|
- Post from Japanese Splatoon Twitter.
- Famitsu: 機能を表現するデザイン手法。キャラクター、ブキ、ギアのデザインに迫る、『Splatoon（スプラトゥーン）』開発スタッフインタビュー【デザイン編】(2/4) (Splatoon developer interview)
- Live from Squid Research Lab: Sheldon: Team Neutral
- Splatoon 2, Squid Sisters Stories
- Pre-release material
- From the official Chinese release of the Splatoon artbook
Characters in Splatoon
Characters in Splatoon 2