|“||I've been riding this train a long, long time, but a thing I've never left behind is myself.||”|
— Dialogue on the Deepsea Metro
"Iso Padre" is the name given to a character in the Octo Expansion. He is a giant isopod wearing sunglasses, a golden neck chain, and a black leisure suit, carrying a briefcase filled with toys. He also carries several childish accessories to further emphasize his playful side.
According to Iso Padre himself, he originally had a different name but cannot remember it after spending so long on the Deepsea Metro, so he uses the name given to him by the other denizens of the deep.
- Main article: Mem cake
Iso Padre is seen in the Deepsea Metro trying to get to Inkopolis. He also has a close relation to mem cakes. When he arrives onto the train, he notices Agent 8 has some mem cakes and asks them to gather more. When Agent 8 completes a full set of mem cakes (including grayscale mem cakes obtained by completing a station with Marina's help), they receive a piece of gear that is unlocked when the player completes the Octo Expansion. It is revealed that he was one of the test subjects in the Deepsea Metro but has not completely forgotten his ordeal.
Iso Padre gives a piece of gear for every mem cake set completed. These gear items are listed below.
- He rewards the Neo Octoling gear set for the first three sets.
- For the next three sets, he rewards the Null Armor Replica set: the maximum armor set worn by Agent 8.
- For the next three sets, he rewards the Old-Timey set: the clothes worn by Cap'n Cuttlefish in the Octo Expansion.
- For the final set, he awards the Conductor Cap.
- "I may not have much left, but I still have my health. Every day I pray I don't lose that too."
- "Don't turn your back on what's shabby. And don't embrace a thing because it's clean."
- "When you see a beauty in what's broken or run-down, then the whole world will be art."
- "Whether a thing is trash or treasure, well, that depends on if you see it with love."
- "Dreaming too hard takes a lot out of you."
- "Freshness advice, eh? A fine set of well-groomed whiskers won't steer you wrong."
- "The elder squid aims to teach me to rap. But I tell my tale slow, to no one else's boat."
- "I've been riding this train a long, long time, but a thing I've never left behind is myself."
- "If there's a final destination where we're all headed, we haven't reached it yet."
- "Stay somewhere long enough and you forget what it's like to be anywhere else."
- "I envy you your mem cakes, young squire. Both the memories and the cake."
- "Where am I headed? Oh, nowhere in particular. I ride for the pleasure of riding."
- "C.Q. Cumber works his tail off morning, noon, and night. Me, I prefer the labor of the mind."
- "This train glides through the dark of the sea floor. You might be the headlight we need."
- "The well-dweller knows nothing of the ocean's breadth. But the water's darkness? Now that's a subject with which it's intimately familiar."
- "You wish you had a confidant closer to your own age? I can sympathize."
- "I ride a subway called Desire, on a long and winding path to Inkopolis Station."
- Iso Padre's given name is a pun on "isopod", referring to his order, and "padre", Spanish for "father". This is likely a reference to the film The Godfather, due to Iso Padre's similarities with the main character Don Vito Corleone.
- He reveals to Agent 8 that he only managed to obtain two mem cakes when he was still a test subject.
- He was on Team Chaos for the Chaos vs. Order Splatfest.
- It is mentioned in HaikaraWalker that the Octotrooper plush is something that he always takes with him.
- His quote that mentions "a subway called Desire" may be a reference to A Streetcar Named Desire, a 1951 American film.
Iso Padre talking to Agent 8.
Artwork of Iso Padre for the Chaos vs. Order Splatfest.
Some concept art of Iso Padre from HaikaraWalker.
Unofficial render of Iso Padre's game model on The Models Resource
Names in other languages
|Mr. Gusoku (From daiō gusoku mushi, giant isopod)|
|Dutch||P.B.||Initials derived from pissebed (isopod)|
|French||Don Podio||"Don" sounds like a mobster title.|
|French (NOA)||Don Podio||"Don" sounds like a mobster title.|
|German||Don Asselmo||"Don" sounds like a mobster title. Asselmo comes from Assel (Isopod) and the name Anselmo.|
|Italian||Don Isopo||"Don" sounds like a mobster title. If reversed, Isopo-Don sounds like Isopodo, "Isopod".|
|Spanish||Tío Hipsópodo||Uncle Hipsopod (tío is also slang for "dude" in Spain)|
Characters in Splatoon 2