|“||This is C.Q. Cumber, a humble sea cucumber who works as a subway conductor and guide to the underground test facility. Despite his mysterious looks, this diminutive dude is a total pro and takes his job quite seriously. Whenever you're in trouble, try talking to him.||”|
|“||Welcome aboard. All passengers with CQ-80 devices can press to display the Deepsea Metro map. ... Leave nothing behind.||”|
— C.Q. Cumber's speech on the train before looping
C.Q. Cumber is a character in the Octo Expansion. He is a translucent blue sea cucumber (likely a sea pig) wearing a train conductor's hat. He is an employee of Kamabo Corporation, serving as the conductor of the Deepsea Metro.
Upon receiving a CQ-80 and a CQ Card from the Telephone, Cap'n Cuttlefish and the newly christened Agent 8 board the Deepsea Metro's train. Once aboard, they meet C.Q. Cumber, who introduces himself to the duo and adds 1,000 CQ Points to the CQ Card.
At each station, C.Q. Cumber resides in the starting room where the equipper is located, and if he is spoken to, he instructs Agent 8 of the objective, hazards, and requirements of the upcoming test. If Agent 8 continues to talk to him after he has shared all of his advice, he will tell them to "take care out there", implying that he does care about them at least somewhat. If Agent 8 either fails the test's requirements or does something that precludes the possibility of completing the objective (such causing an 8-Ball to fall off of the stage), then C.Q. Cumber informs them of this before declaring that the test failed.
If the player returns to the Deepsea Metro after the defeat of the final boss, C.Q. Cumber mentions that Kamabo Co. has ceased to exist. Despite this, he assures Agent 8 that the Deepsea Metro is still running, allowing Agent 8 to complete any tests that they missed.
- His name is a pun on his species name, "sea cucumber".
- Despite being an employee of Kamabo Corporation and, by extension, the Telephone, Hisashi Nogami has stated that C.Q. Cumber is "not a bad guy", only "faithful to his duties."
- Sometimes, C.Q. Cumber climbs on the wall near the entrance of a test chamber, rather than being situated on the ground. If he is hit with enough ink, he will fall and land on his back. After enough time has passed, he will flip back over, though it is possible to manually flip him back over by turning into an octopus and jumping while touching his body.
- Iso Padre says that he and C.Q. Cumber are close friends.
- Iso Padre also says that C.Q. Cumber "works his tail off morning, noon, and night."
- Sometimes, when the player first enters the equipper in the starting room of a test chamber, C.Q. Cumber may assume one of three strange poses: being completely flattened out, stretching his front legs and waving with them, or stretching all of his legs and standing on them in a spider-like position. He will always return to normal when the player selects their weapon.
- In some stations, creatures similar to C.Q. Cumber can be seen in the background.
- Floating objects similar to Polly Pockets seen in some tests include a figure similar to C.Q. Cumber.
C.Q. Cumber talking with Cap'n Cuttlefish.
C.Q. Cumber as he appears in the reveal trailer for the Octo Expansion.
C.Q. Cumber in concept art for Agent 8.
C.Q. Cumber with |Agents 3 and 8 in White Day 2020 artwork.
Names in other languages
|Conductor Sea Cucumber|
|Dutch||Komdukteur Kommer||From conducteur (conductor) and komkommer (cucumber)|
|French||Chef Curbit (A.C.)[a]||Chief Gourd (Aspiring Conductor)|
The word "curbit" with "A.C." sounds like cucurbitacé, "a plant of the gourd family" which includes cucumbers
|German||Schaffner Cornichon||Cornichon (a type of pickled cucumber), Schaffner means conductor|
|Italian||Capoturia||From capo (chief) and oloturia (sea cucumber)|
|Conductor Cucumbers. The suffix -ов -ov makes this word sound like a surname|
|Spanish||Revisor Pepín||From revisor (inspector) and pepino de mar (sea cucumber), with the -ín diminutive|
- It is revealed in dialogue that the acronym stands for "Aspirant Conducteur"
Characters in Splatoon 2