|“||This is C.Q. Cumber, a humble sea cucumber who works as a subway conductor and guide to the underground test facility. Despite his mysterious looks, this diminutive dude is a total pro and takes his job quite seriously. Whenever you're in trouble, try talking to him.||”|
|“||Welcome aboard. All passengers with CQ-80 devices can press to display the Deepsea Metro map. ... Leave nothing behind.||”|
— C.Q. Cumber's speech on the train before looping
C.Q. Cumber is a character in the Octo Expansion. He is a translucent blue sea cucumber (likely a sea pig) wearing a train conductor's hat. He is an employee of Kamabo Corporation, serving as the conductor of the Deepsea Metro, and is shown interacting with Cap'n Cuttlefish.
"Take care out there. "
Upon receiving a CQ-80 and a CQ Card from the Telephone, Cap'n Cuttlefish and the newly christened Agent 8 board the Deepsea Metro. Once aboard, C.Q. Cumber introduces himself to the Captain and the Agent and adds 1,000 CQ Points to the CQ Card.
At each station, C.Q. Cumber instructs Agent 8 of the objective, hazards, and requirements of the upcoming test. If Agent 8 continues to talk to him, C.Q. Cumber will tell them to "take care out there", implying that he does care about them at least somewhat. If Agent 8 either fails the test's requirements or does something that precludes the possibility of completing the objective (for example, causing an 8-Ball to fall off of the stage), then C.Q. Cumber informs them of this before declaring the test failed.
Following the defeat of the final boss, C.Q. Cumber mentions that Kamabo Co. has ceased to exist. Despite this, he assures Agent 8 that the Deepsea Metro is still running, allowing Agent 8 to complete any tests that they missed.
- His name is a pun of his species name, "sea cucumber".
- Despite being an employee of Kamabo Corporation and, by extension, the Telephone, Hisashi Nogami has stated that C.Q. Cumber is "not a bad guy", only "faithful to his duties."
- C.Q. Cumber can sometimes be seen climbing on the wall near the entrance of a test chamber. If the player shoots ink at him, he will fall and land on his back. It is possible to flip him back over by turning into an octopus and jumping while touching his body.
- According to Iso Padre, C.Q. Cumber is a close friend of his.
- Iso Padre also says that C.Q. Cumber "works his tail off morning, noon, and night."
- Sometimes when in the test fee room, C.Q. Cumber can be seen flattened out, with spider-like legs or with his front legs stretched and waving.
- In some stations, creatures similar to C.Q. Cumber can be found.
C.Q. Cumber talking with Cap'n Cuttlefish.
C.Q. Cumber as he appears in the reveal trailer for the Octo Expansion.
C.Q. Cumber in concept art for Agent 8.
Names in other languages
|Conductor Sea Cucumber|
|Dutch||Komdukteur Kommer||From conducteur (conductor) and komkommer (cucumber)|
|French||Chef Curbit (A.C.)*||Chief Gourd (Aspiring Conductor)|
The word curbit with the A.C. sounds like cucurbitacé, "a plant of the gourd family" which includes cucumbers
|German||Schaffner Cornichon||Cornichon (a type of pickled cucumber), Schaffner means conductor|
|Italian||Capoturia||From capo (chief) and oloturia (sea cucumber)|
|Cucumbers, The suffix -ов -ov makes this word sound like a surname|
|Spanish||Pepín||From pepino de mar (sea cucumber), with the -ín diminutive|
Characters in Splatoon 2