|“||These guys are the Chirpy Chips. With their sea anemone lead singer and a sparkling electronic sound, this unique four-piece has been setting the Inkopolis Top 40 on fire! Take a listen to their latest single, Shellfie, which is also the background music you'll be hearing during battles now!||”|
The Chirpy Chips (NA/EU/OC)[a], or ABXY (JP)[b], are a four-person chiptune-style band. Their songs were first added in Version 2.0.0 of Splatoon and two more were released as part of Version 3.0.0 of Splatoon 2.
|Fictional Band||Song Name||Audio|
|Split & Splat|
|Splatoon 2||Blitz It!|
All songs can be heard in Splatoon 2, but Wave Prism and Blitz It! cannot be heard in Splatoon. Split & Splat and Shellfie can only be unlocked with amiibo and can only be heard in Squid Beatz 2 in Splatoon 2.
Paruko is the band's vocalist and synth player, a relaxed sea anemone who goes her own way. Since her voice is altered in the band's music, she usually lip-syncs during live performances. She is in charge of the band's visuals. She exhibits peculiar movements when singing and talks in a loose manner between songs, which is popular with fans. However, due to her lack of motivation, she is often late for practice. Similar to Annie, she has a bright color scheme and a small fish in her "hair", which is dying due to neglect. In the band's second album cover, she is shown making music using various Nintendo consoles.
Noijī is the band's guitarist and back-up vocalist, an uncontrollable, brightly colored Inkling. He has bright purple tentacles styled into large spikes and what appears to be four fangs instead of the typical three. He has a sunny disposition and epitomizes the band's energy. He was formerly the member of a punk band called BariBari and formed the Chirpy Chips with Raian later on. He likes big vending machines and has an irresistible urge to run on any slopes he sees, particularly ones going downhill.
Raian is the band's bassist, a shy flapjack octopus who does things at their own pace. Despite being an octopus, they bear little resemblance to Octarians and have not been connected to them. In both album covers, they wear a shirt referencing the album art of Pink Floyd's The Dark Side of the Moon, but with a squid-shaped prism. They are the band's composer, though they also compose their own music and quietly post it online. They like to make sure the band keeps a chiptune sound, but they dislike performing and standing out in public. They are an intellectual and geeky type who likes things that are strange and outdated.
Shikaku is the band's drummer, a crab who quietly watches over the others. They are the band's oldest member and have played for a number of other bands in the past, gaining a strong reputation with their musical techniques. They rarely ever take the lead, rather focusing on supporting the others. They are usually easygoing but are known to quietly snap once a year. In the band's first album cover, their shirt design has what could be the Inkling version of .
- The Chirpy Chips were the first band in Splatoon to have their name changed for localization. Their original Japanese name, ABXY, is likely a reference to the , , , and buttons on the Wii U GamePad and other Nintendo controllers.
- The text on their album art loosely resembles this name.
- Additionally, the format of their Japanese name is likely a reference to the Japanese chiptune band YMCK, which has a similar style of music.
- The Chirpy Chips Band Tee is a Chirpy Chips-themed piece of clothing, featuring a recolored version of their logo and a small pin with the face of their drummer.
- The Heavy Splatling Remix appears to be a Chirpy Chips-themed weapon; it has a sticker on the side with their name in Inkling, its color scheme is similar to that of their album art, and "Remix" may be a reference to their electronic style. However, this connection is never addressed in-game.
- Blitz It! was first used as the background music for the Nintendo Direct preview for Version 3.0.0 of Splatoon 2.
- The band's second album cover features frontwoman Paruko mixing chiptunes using numerous Nintendo consoles:
- Famicom (located to bassist Raian's left)
- Super Famicom Naizou TV SF1 (behind Raian - a Super Scope accessory is located on Noijī's right)
- Game Boy (in front of Paruko - a Game Boy Camera accessory is located nearby)
- Game Boy Color (in front of Paruko)
- Game Boy Advance (in front of Paruko)
- DS Lite (in front of Paruko)
- Dialogue in Tentakeel Outpost reveals that the Chirpy Chips are Marie's favorite band.
The band's album cover from Splatoon.
Magazines at Ancho-V Games, with the Chirpy Chips' album art at the lower left.
The Heavy Splatling Remix has a Chirpy Chips sticker and color scheme.
The Chirpy Chips Band Tee has the Chirpy Chips' logo and a pin showing their drummer.
- North America, Europe, and Oceania
Characters in Splatoon
Characters in Splatoon 2