The Squidbeak Splatoon was a platoon of soldiers who fought against the Octarians during the Great Turf War. It was led by Cap'n Cuttlefish, and its members included Ammoses Shellendorf, Judd, a male Inkling, and a female Inkling. The group used Bamboozlers in combat.
- Cap'n Cuttlefish - Cap'n Cuttlefish was the leader of the Squidbeak Splatoon. He wore the original Legendary Cap, along with a button-down shirt, khaki pants, a belt, and boots. His shirt was adorned with three medals of unknown value.
- Ammoses Shellendorf - Ammoses Shellendorf was a horseshoe crab who excelled in designing weapons and likely designed the original Bamboozler used during the Great Turf War. He is also the grandfather of Sheldon, who currently manages Ammo Knights.
- Judd - Judd was a feline member of the Squidbeak Splatoon who presumably joined after he was awakened from his cryogenic slumber. His exact function in the platoon remains unknown, as he does not appear to be able to manage a weapon. Judd currently judges matches of Turf War and Ranked Battle and can often be seen sleeping on a pillow in Inkopolis.
- Male Inkling - This Squidbeak Splatoon member's identity is unknown. He can be seen in Sunken Scroll 15 wearing an Ink Tank on his back.
- Female Inkling - This Squidbeak Splatoon member's identity is unknown. She can be seen in Sunken Scroll 15 leaning against a rock.
New Squidbeak Splatoon
The New Squidbeak Splatoon was formed by Cap'n Cuttlefish after the Great Zapfish was stolen by the Octarians. He recruited his granddaughter, Callie, who in turn recruited her cousin Marie, into the Splatoon to search for the missing Zapfish. Cap'n Cuttlefish later persuaded Agent 3 to join as well. The New Squidbeak Splatoon successfully defeated the Great Octoweapons and DJ Octavio on two different occasions, recruiting Agent 4 on the second occasion. Together, they recaptured the stolen Zapfish and restored power to Inkopolis.
- Cap'n Cuttlefish - Cap'n Cuttlefish is the leader of the New Squidbeak Splatoon. He resides in a small shack in Octo Valley, wearing tattered clothing and a ragged Legendary Cap. In the Octo Expansion, he has a new look, wearing a new white hat, a tracksuit with headphones and some slip-ons and guides Agent 8 to get back to Inkopolis.
- Agent 1 - Agent 1, or Callie, is a member of the New Squidbeak Splatoon. She wears a pink beanie decorated with a large golden star, a pink sweatshirt, and sunglasses to conceal her identity. Agent 1 is the cousin of Agent 2. In the final boss battle of Splatoon, Agents 1 and 2 hijack DJ Octavio's transmission and play the Calamari Inkantation, allowing Cap'n Cuttlefish to escape. Agent 1 is never directly seen in Octo Valley mode; she is only acknowledged through Cap'n Cuttlefish's monologues and DJ Octavio's radio transmissions. In Octo Canyon mode she is kidnapped and mind-controlled with "hypnoshades" by DJ Octavio, assisting him during the final boss battle. She is rescued and appears at Cuttlefish Cabin after beating the final boss.
- Agent 2 - Agent 2, or Marie, is a member of the New Squidbeak Splatoon. She wears a green hat embroidered with an orange emblem, a green shirt, and a surgical mask to conceal her identity. Agent 2 is the cousin of Agent 1. In the final boss battle of Splatoon, Agents 1 and 2 hijack DJ Octavio's transmission and play the Calamari Inkantation, allowing Cap'n Cuttlefish to escape. Agent 2 is never directly seen; she is only acknowledged through Cap'n Cuttlefish's monologues and DJ Octavio's radio transmissions. In Octo Canyon mode she guides Agent 4 throughout missions and appears during the final boss battle, successfully freeing Agent 1 from the mind-control of the "hypnoshades" by shooting them off with a Hero Charger.
- Agent 3 - Agent 3, or the player character in Splatoon, is a member of the New Squidbeak Splatoon. They enter Octo Valley through a grate in Inkopolis Plaza, and are immediately greeted by Cap'n Cuttlefish, who gives them the Hero Suit. While donning the Hero Suit, a hand-me-down from Agents 1 and 2, Agent 3 is instructed to traverse the underground Octarian bases in Octo Valley through devices called Kettles. Agent 3 defeats the Great Octoweapons and DJ Octavio, recapturing stolen Zapfish and, eventually, the Great Zapfish along the way.
- Agent 4 - Agent 4, or the player character in Splatoon 2, is the newest member of the New Squidbeak Splatoon. They enter Octo Canyon through a grate in Inkopolis Square, and promptly meet Marie, who gives them the new Hero Suit and entrusts them with finding the missing Great Zapfish and Callie. Making their way through the Octarians' new base, Agent 4 eventually finds and defeats DJ Octavio, freeing Callie from his mind control and rescuing the Great Zapfish.
These characters have all worked for/with the New Squidbeak Splatoon, but either are not full members, or currently unknown if they are considered full members.
- Sheldon - As noted by Marie at Cuttlefish Cabin, Sheldon was invited to be a part of the New Squidbeak Splatoon in Splatoon 2, but declined, maintaining that the "technology team" must keep distance from the "troops on the front lines". Nevertheless, he provides assistance to the New Squidbeak Splatoon, lending Agent 4 several Hero weapons and occasionally commenting during missions, giving advice to Agent 4. During the final boss battle of Splatoon 2, he is seen driving a flying truck with Marie on top, reminiscent of the trucks used during Splatoon's Splatfests.
- Agent 8 - Potentially the first Octoling member of the New Squidbeak Splatoon, recruited by Cap'n Cuttlefish when he, Agent 8, and Agent 3 were knocked into the Deepsea Metro. Agent 8 is able to escape the depths with the help of Off the Hook and later saves Inkopolis from being destroyed by the AI Commander Tartar. Agent 8 was formerly working under the Octarians before leaving under the influence of the Calamari Inkantation; a misunderstanding led them to fight Agent 3 before the two agents and Cap'n Cuttlefish were knocked into the Deepsea Metro by an unknown attacker. Note that their title as Agent 8 refers to them being registered as Number 10,008 by Telephone, and is not indicative as the eighth member of the group.
- Off the Hook
- Marina - Helped Agent 8 and Cap'n Cuttlefish during the Octo Expansion, feeling that she wanted to help a fellow Octoling, in this case, Agent 8, escape. She did so through giving advice and hacking into the Subway's systems when needed. At first, Cuttlefish did not seem to like her very much, but as time went on, he came to accept her.
- Pearl - Like Marina, she wanted to help out Agent 8 and Cap'n Cuttlefish. She did so through giving advice and by cheering, as well as lending Agent 8 some C.Q. points when they run out. She also taught Cap'n Cuttlefish some rapping tips.
- The Squidbeak Splatoon is likely the reason Splatoon is named as such.
- Splatoon is a portmanteau of splat and platoon.
- If the player talks to Marie in Splatoon 2 for too long she might mention that she may have to look for an Agent 5.
Names in other languages
New Squidbeak Splatoon
Characters in Splatoon
Characters in Splatoon 2