The Squidbeak Splatoon was a platoon of soldiers who fought against the Octarians during the Great Turf War. It was led by Cap'n Cuttlefish, and its members included Ammoses Shellendorf, Judd, a male Inkling, and a female Inkling. The group used Bamboozlers in combat.
- Cap'n Cuttlefish - Cap'n Cuttlefish was the leader of the Squidbeak Splatoon. He wore the original Legendary Cap, along with a button-down shirt, khaki pants, a belt, and boots. His shirt was adorned with three medals of unknown value.
- Ammoses Shellendorf - Ammoses Shellendorf was a horseshoe crab who excelled in designing weapons and likely designed the original Bamboozler used during the Great Turf War. He is also the grandfather of Sheldon, who currently manages Ammo Knights.
- Judd - Judd was a feline member of the Squidbeak Splatoon who presumably joined after he was awakened from his cryogenic slumber. His exact function in the platoon remains unknown, as he does not appear to be able to manage a weapon. Judd currently judges matches of Turf War and Ranked Battle and can often be seen sleeping on a pillow in Inkopolis. In Splatoon 2, he can be seen alongside Li'l Judd.
- Male Inkling - This Squidbeak Splatoon member's identity is unknown. He can be seen in Sunken Scroll 15 wearing an ink tank on his back.
- Female Inkling - This Squidbeak Splatoon member's identity is unknown. She can be seen in Sunken Scroll 15 leaning against a rock.
New Squidbeak Splatoon
The New Squidbeak Splatoon was formed by Cap'n Cuttlefish after the Great Zapfish was stolen by the Octarians. He recruited his granddaughter, Callie, who in turn recruited her cousin Marie, into the Splatoon to search for the missing Zapfish. Cap'n Cuttlefish later persuaded Agent 3 to join as well. The New Squidbeak Splatoon successfully defeated the Great Octoweapons and DJ Octavio on two different occasions, recruiting Agent 4 on the second occasion. Together, they recaptured the stolen Zapfish and restored power to Inkopolis.
- Cap'n Cuttlefish - Cap'n Cuttlefish is the leader of the New Squidbeak Splatoon. He resides in a small shack in Octo Valley, wearing tattered clothing and a ragged Legendary Cap. In the Octo Expansion, he has a new look, wearing a new white hat, a tracksuit with headphones and some slip-ons and guides Agent 8 to get back to Inkopolis.
- Agent 1 - Agent 1, or Callie, wears a pink beanie decorated with a large golden star, a pink sweatshirt, and sunglasses to conceal her identity. Agent 1 is the cousin of Agent 2. In the final boss battle of Splatoon, she and Agent 2 hijack DJ Octavio's transmission and play the Calamari Inkantation, allowing Cap'n Cuttlefish to escape. Agent 1 is never directly seen in Octo Valley; she is only acknowledged through Cap'n Cuttlefish's monologues and DJ Octavio's radio transmissions. In Octo Canyon in Splatoon 2, she is kidnapped and mind-controlled with "hypnoshades" by DJ Octavio, assisting him during the final boss battle. She is rescued and appears at Cuttlefish Cabin after beating the final boss.
- Agent 2 - Agent 2, or Marie, wears a green hat embroidered with an orange emblem, a green shirt, and a surgical mask to conceal her identity. Agent 2 is the cousin of Agent 1. In the final boss battle of Splatoon, she and Agent 1 hijack DJ Octavio's transmission and play the Calamari Inkantation, allowing Cap'n Cuttlefish to escape. Agent 2 is never directly seen; she is only acknowledged through Cap'n Cuttlefish's monologues and DJ Octavio's radio transmissions. In Octo Canyon in Splatoon 2, she recruits Agent 4 and guides them throughout missions, also appearing during the final boss battle, to free Agent 1 from the mind-control of the "hypnoshades" by shooting them off with a Hero Charger.
- Agent 3 - Agent 3, or the player character in Splatoon, enters Octo Valley to be immediately greeted by Cap'n Cuttlefish, who gives them the Hero Suit. While donning the Hero Suit, a hand-me-down from Agents 1 and 2, Agent 3 is instructed to traverse the underground Octarian bases in Octo Valley through Kettles. Agent 3 defeats the Great Octoweapons and DJ Octavio, recapturing stolen Zapfish and, eventually, the Great Zapfish along the way.
- Agent 4 - Agent 4, or the player character in Splatoon 2, is the newest member of the New Squidbeak Splatoon. They enter Octo Canyon and promptly meet Marie, who gives them a new Hero Suit and entrusts them with finding the missing Great Zapfish and Callie. Making their way through the Octarians' new base, Agent 4 eventually finds and defeats DJ Octavio, freeing Callie from his mind control and rescuing the Great Zapfish.
These characters have all worked for/with the New Squidbeak Splatoon, but either are not full members, or their full membership status is currently unknown.
- Sheldon - As noted by Marie at Cuttlefish Cabin, Sheldon was invited to be part of the New Squidbeak Splatoon in Splatoon 2, but declined, maintaining that the "technology team" must keep distance from the "troops on the front lines". Nevertheless, he still provides assistance, lending Agent 4 several Hero weapons and occasionally commenting and giving advice during missions. During the final boss battle of Splatoon 2, he is seen driving a flying truck with Marie on top, reminiscent of the trucks used during Splatoon's Splatfests.
- Agent 8- The first Octoling member of the New Squidbeak Splatoon, they were recruited by Cap'n Cuttlefish when they were knocked into the Deepsea Metro alongside him and Agent 3. Agent 8 is able to escape the depths with the help of Off the Hook and later saves Inkopolis from being destroyed by Commander Tartar. Agent 8 was formerly working under the Octarians before leaving under the influence of the Calamari Inkantation; a misunderstanding led them to fight Agent 3 before the two agents and Cap'n Cuttlefish were knocked into the Deepsea Metro by an unknown attacker.
- Off the Hook
- Marina - Helped Agent 8 and Cap'n Cuttlefish during the Octo Expansion, feeling that she wanted to help a fellow Octoling, in this case, Agent 8, escape. She did so through giving advice and hacking into the Metro's systems when needed.
- Pearl - Like Marina, she wanted to help out Agent 8 and Cap'n Cuttlefish. She did so through giving advice and by cheering, as well as lending Agent 8 some C.Q. points when they run out. She also taught Cap'n Cuttlefish some rapping tips.
- The Squidbeak Splatoon is likely the reason Splatoon is named as such.
- 'Splatoon' is a portmanteau of 'splat' and 'platoon'.
- If the player talks to Marie in Splatoon 2 for too long she might mention that she may have to look for an Agent 5.
Names in other languages
New Squidbeak Splatoon
Characters in Splatoon
Characters in Splatoon 2