|“||Now who're you, then? You a cop?||”|
— Spyke upon meeting the player.(NA)
Spyke is a sea urchin with orange skin and dark purple, spiky hair. His eyes are green and the sclerae of his eyes are purple. He wears a poncho, multi-colored bracelets, and clogs. Under his poncho, he wears a black tank top. He sits on a rug that looks similar to his poncho.
When players first visit him after reaching Level 4, it enables them to order gear that other Inklings are wearing from the plaza. Players can order up to three pieces of gear at a time, but are only able to buy one each day. If a player orders more than 3 pieces of gear, another order will have to be canceled to make room for it and the new item will appear at the back of the queue.
Spyke's prices for gear are quite a bit higher than in the store. If the gear is not bought during the day its available, Spyke will get rid of it. However, he will not trash gear in the player's queue on the days the game is not played.
Ordering from Spyke has the chance to get the same abilities as the original wearer on the clothing ordered. This chance goes up with level, and the more abilities that the item has, the more expensive it is. Even with no additional abilities, the item is a little bit pricier than it is than if found in the shop.
Unlike at the shops, you can order an item from Spyke which you already have. The one you buy will replace the one in your inventory. This can be a cheap way to reroll item slots, if you are patient - a 3-Star item with all three slots open only costs 15,000 instead of 30,000 (see below), but you will have to unlock the slots in battle.
|Rating||Extra Ability Slots Filled|
|Odds of getting sub abilities on ordered gear|
|Level||Settled sub Ability||The gear actually comes|
|No sub Ability||1 sub Ability||2 sub Ability||3 sub Ability|
|4~9||Zero (Same as in store)||100%||-||-||-|
|10~15||Zero (Same as in store)||100%||-||-||-|
|16+||None (Same as in store)||100%||-||-||-|
For example, if a player at Level 10 orders gear with two stars and three sub abilities, the player can get the gear with 0 sub ability and 2 empty slots by 50% chance; or with one sub ability, one empty slot, and one unreleased slot by 45% chance; or with two sub abilities and one unreleased slot by 4.8% chance; or three sub abilities by 0.2% chance. It does not depend on the gear's rarity except of that how many empty slots the gear has.
Once the player reaches Level 20, Spyke offers an additional service: for 30,000 coins, he will tweak the abilities on one piece of gear. If the gear in question has fewer than four abilities, an additional slot is added, which must then be unlocked through multiplayer. If the gear in question already has four total abilities, he can re-roll the three sub-abilities, with the usual brand bonuses applied. This service can be performed at any level if the player has Super Sea Snails.
While Spyke is portrayed as a Cockney in the North American version, his dialogue is drastically different in the Europe/Oceania version, being more of a straight translation of the Japanese.
North America (English)
- "Now who're you? Not to be harsh love, but you're lookin' right moldy at the moment. I can't be dealin' wif blokes below Level 4 on the freshness scale. So maybe go do a bit of battlin' before you come back, yeah?" - Spyke when talking to a player below Level 4
- "Now who're you, then? You a cop? Nah, you're too fresh to be a cop. But you know what would make you EVEN fresher? Someone else's gear. That's where 'ol Spyke comes in. You ever see a bloke strollin' around the plaza in some right-fresh gear that you fancy for yourself? Just walk up to that bloke, check 'im out wif and then press to, uh... "order" their gear from me. Can't guarantee that I'll get you gear wif the same abilities, but it'll look just as fresh. Trust me, love. Right, then. I'll be waiting for your order." - Spyke when first talking to a player above Level 4
- "Blimey! That level! We've got ourselves a right-proper veteran! But ya don't seem the type to kip on your laurels, love. Your sights are set even higher, aren't they? I can tell. Just watching you makes me want to work harder. Let's scratch each other's backs as we work our way to the top, yeah? Anyway, use to check out anybody in the plaza, and then order their gear wif !" -Spyke when the player reaches Level 10.
- "Blimey! I'm in the presence of a bloomin' STAR right now. I'm not worthy, love. I mean, you're a right LEGEND, mate. I can feel the freshness just oozin' out of ya. Yeah. I bet a legend like you is just rollin' in cash, right? Not to be too direct, love, but I've got this collection, see? A collection of rare Super Sea Snails. I could use those to give your gear some more ability slots, if you're interested. Course, I can't do it for free. That'd be crazy. But if you happened to have any cash to spare... Or even a Super Sea Snail or two of your own? Oh, and of course I'll still take orders for gear. Check people's stuff wif , and then order wif ." -Spyke when the player reaches Level 20.
- "Wot's this rubbish, then? You're offline. Get on the Internet if you want me to take you seriously, mate!" -Spyke when the player is not connected to the internet.
- "YOU WOT, MATE?!" - Spyke when the player does not have enough money to pay for an order.
- "Wot'll it be, then?" - Spyke asking what you want him to do.
- "You ain't ordered anyfing! Go check folks in the plaza wif , and order their stuff wif !" - Spyke when opening the orders menu without having any active orders.
- "So...wot gear ya want the new slot in? It'll cost ya one Super Sea Snail. Or I can reroll abilities on items wif full slots!" - Spyke when opening the slots menu.
- "Oi, it looks like you've got abilities in all three slots. Want me to reroll 'em, then?" - Spyke when selecting a piece of gear with full slot in the slots menu.
- "Reroll 'em?" - Spyke when confirming whether or not you want to reroll an gear's slots.
- "Sorry. Three slots is the max. I could reroll the abilities if all three slots were full, but they're not." - Spyke when the player selects a piece of gear with three slots but not all of them are filled.
- "Add a slot?" - Spyke when confirming if you want to add a slot to a piece of gear.
- "Since I like ya, I'll add a slot using me own Super Sea Snail for the low price of 30000. Or if you've got a piece of gear wif three full slots, I can reroll its abilities. How's about that, then!" -Spyke when paying for a re-roll.
- "s'all yours love." - Spyke after you add a slot to a piece of gear.
- "S'appening, mate?" - Spyke when talked to.
- "Cheers, love." - Spyke when leaving.
- "See somefing you fancy, love?" - Spyke when ordering from another player.
- "It's not available, mate." - Spyke when ordering a "not for sale" item.
- "You want this gear?" - Spyke when confirming an order from another player.
- "All right. I can only get one item a day, so come round later, yeah?" - Spyke when an item is ordered.
- "This is what you wanted, yeah?" - Spyke when viewing active orders.
- "Changed your mind about this gear, then?" - Spyke when canceling an order.
- "Right. It never happened." - Spyke after canceling an order.
- "Been a pleasure..." - Spyke when the player is out of cash after paying for a re-roll.
Europe and Oceania (English)
- "Hey there. ...Who are you? Listen, not to be harsh or anything, but you're not looking too fresh right now. I ain't in the habit of associating with folks who aren't at least Level 4 on the freshness scale, y'see? So maybe you wanna go do a bit of battlin' before you come see me again." - Spyke on below Level 4.
- "So, what'll it be?" - Spyke asking what you want him to do.
- "...Uh, I can't give you what you ain't ordered! Go check folks in the Plaza with , and order stuff with !" - Spyke when opening the orders menu without having any active orders.
- "So... which gear d'you want the new slot on? It'll cost you one Super Sea Snail. Or I can swap out abilities on an item with all its slots full!" - Spyke when opening the slots menu.
- "Ah, looks like you've got the full three slots filled with abilities. You want me to swap 'em out for ya?" - Spyke when selecting a piece of gear with full slot in the slots menu.
- "Sorry, I can't boost your slots beyond three. If they were all full, I could swap out the abilities for ya!" - Spyke when the player selects a piece of gear with three slots but not all of them are filled.
- "Want more slots?" - Spyke when confirming if you want to add a slot to a piece of gear.
- "There you go!" - Spyke after you add a slot to a piece of gear.
- "Hang on... I think I smell something. You've get some Super Sea Snails on you, am I right? Could you maybe, say... let me have some of those? You know how their shells have those little lids on 'em? I can use those to add new slots to your gear. I don't need the shell lids myself, see. It's just those juicy entrails I'm after. The more slots, the more abilities your gear can hold, so this deal's a win for us both! Just trust me, yeah? So how's about it? You gonna give me some of those Super Sea Snails so I can add slots to your gear?" - Spyke on first bringing him Super Sea Snails.
- "You've already got some gear just like this. Want to replace the gear you've got with this new gear?" - Spyke when buying a gear you already have.
- "Been a pleasure..." - Spyke after you buy an ordered gear.
- "Always a pleasure..." - Spyke when the player is out of cash after paying for a re-roll.
- "I'll see you 'round, yeah?" - Spyke when leaving.
- Spyke's design is based on the phrase "Street Urchin", which refers to homeless children who make their living on the streets of large cities. Spyke himself is a literal street urchin who makes his living working in the back alleys of Inkopolis.
- Spyke was announced during the special Splatoon Nintendo Direct on May 7th, 2015.
- Some of the Super Sea Snails next to Spyke shake, while others are only empty shells. Sea urchins in real life are also known to eat snails smaller than themselves. This may imply that Spyke removes the snails and eats them, possibly using the screwdriver next to him.
- During a Splatfest, Spyke can be seen tapping his hand to the beat of the Squid Sisters' music.
- Spyke's "YOU WOT, MATE?!" in the North American version of the game is a reference to a slang phrase attributed to the United Kingdom and popular internet meme "U WOT M8."
Names in other languages
|Pun on Uni (Urchin), and the name "Downey"|
|French||Kipik||From porc-épic, porcupine|
|Italian||Richie||From riccio (urchin) and the first name Richie|
|From шип ship, thorn|
|Spanish||Eri||From erizo de mar (urchin)|
|Characters in the Splatoon series|