Levels, also referred to in-game as Freshness, are progress indicators in Splatoon and Splatoon 2, alongside rank. Levels initially went from 1 to 20. The version 2.0.0 update for Splatoon raised the maximum level to Level 50. Likewise, the 2.0 patch for Splatoon 2 raised the level cap to 99, and when players reach level 99, they can talk to Judd to reset to become level ★1, and continue to work their way up to level ★99.
Leveling up in Splatoon
Levels are earned by playing any online multiplayer mode except Private Battle and earning experience. Prior to level 20, your Battle Points for each battle are converted directly into experience and added to your running total. Starting at level 20, levels are instead earned depending on your team's performance during the battle.
Levels 1 to 20
- In Regular Battles (Turf War), your score is determined by your turf inked, plus 1000p for victory. (300p prior to the final Splatfest)
- In Ranked Battles (Splat Zones, Tower Control and Rainmaker), your score is determined by your team's remaining objective, as well as any win bonus obtained through victory.
- For reference of how much one gets with a win, refer to the chart on Rank, as the bonus given for winning depends on current rank.
- Also, for every point reduced (from 100 to 0) yields an additional 50 experience per point, except for when losing in a knockout.
Levels 21 to 50
- In Regular Battles (Turf War), your experience is determined by your turf inked and whether your team wins:
- If you ink between 200 and 399 turf, you receive 1 point.
- If you ink 400 or more turf, you instead receive 2 points.
- If your team wins, you receive an additional 3 points (for a maximum of 5 per battle).
- In Ranked Battles (Splat Zones, Tower Control and Rainmaker), you receive 1 point for each minute your team survives.
- If your team wins by timeout, you will receive an additional 3 points, effectively giving you 8 points for a timeout.
- If your team wins by knockout, you receive 10 points total.
|25||360||144||Armor Helmet Replica|
|30||1,320||264||Armor Jacket Replica|
|35||2,880||384||Armor Boot Replicas|
Leveling up in Splatoon 2
Experience in Splatoon 2 is earned slightly differently from how it is earned in the original game. New weapons are now unlocked at every level until level 30.
- In Regular Battles (Turf War), the experience gained depends on turf covered, and who won
- 100 EXP is earned for every 100 points covered, up to 500 XP
- The winning team gets a 600 XP win bonus
- Both teams get a 300 XP time bonus (for a maximum of 1400 XP)
- A one-time freshness bonus is awarded upon bringing a weapon to 5, 10, or 15 freshness
- In Ranked Battles (Splat Zones, Tower Control and Rainmaker), your XP depends on who won, whether it was a knockout or a timeout, and the progress your team made.
- The winning team always gets a 1,500 XP win bonus
- In the case of a knockout, the losing side gets 0 total points, regardless of performance, while the winning side gets a 1,000 XP knockout bonus, for a total of 2,500 XP
- In the case of a timeout, both teams get a 500 XP time bonus, plus 5 XP for every percentage of progress made - so if a team brings the rainmaker or tower 83 percent to their goal, they get 83*5 = 415 XP
After level 50, all following levels require 100,000 XP and reward one Super Sea Snail.
- Instead of freshness, the player's Level was originally referred to in-game as "coolness".
Names in other languages